Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318874 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What to play next? Suggestions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What to play next? Suggestions?  (Read 5138 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I think PSI has aged better than II. A bit faster paced, and the characters are sort of more interesting. The dungeons were also... I dunno, you could get out of them with the right hand rule, and the encounter rate seemed lower, too. The game also had a few more adventure game elements, and you never really had to level grind past the initial, pre-Odin bits. Entire thing just felt more well-rounded, I guess.

There was also more variation in overall design in the PS1 dungeons. For instance, there was a pyramid dungeon that had a very different structure than the ice caves on the last planet.

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Basically I'd say the biggest sign that a dungeon is bad is if the main/only puzzle is "Is this fork a dead end or not?" Those games tend to punish exploration. That is bad.

Truth. And when you add a ludicrous encounter rate, chests full of cheap, common, or useless items, and unavoidable damage tiles to the "find the right fork"-style dungeon crawling, the whole exercise is pretty unrewarding.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 04:40:53 AM »

The game still has a neat sort of ambience. I like darkish setting v. colorful world thing it has going, and all of the biomechanical stuff. But whatever. Setting doesn't really make for good games.

Anyway, I know dincrest (? maybe someone else?) disagrees with this, but I found advancement in PSIII a lot faster. Also, while the dungeons were lame, they were also painless. And I really did like the setting. The generation ship idea is neat, and I thought the way they had society having had degraded (what tense was that in, what I just said?) to a medieval state was really a nice touch.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Deadlynymph

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 01:48:27 AM »

I know this is a dumb way to start a first post but why is everyone calling Xenosaga 3 Xenogears 3?  Its not Gears, its Saga.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »

I know everyone is tellign me to skip Xenosaga 2 but, honestly, I'd like to see for myself just how bad it is. Same reason I got Unlimited Saga.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 09:03:26 AM »

Quote from: "Deadlynymph"
I know this is a dumb way to start a first post but why is everyone calling Xenosaga 3 Xenogears 3?  Its not Gears, its Saga.

I probably did it because the original poster did it. And I'm sticking to that story :P
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »

Ah crap - I didn't even notice until just now.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »

So I decided to go against general advice and play Xenosaga 2.

I'm curious about just what it is that people don't like about it?

I'm not very far in - but I like Chaos' new voice.

And Jin is cool.

But damn, the battle music sucks ass.

Persona2007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 11:05:47 AM »

Bard's Tale is a fun game and it's short compared to a lot of the titles you listed.  It's also quite funny if you've played a lot of games in the hack'n'slash Diabloesque flavor.  It should take a week or less to play through if you really get into it (I only play about 1-4 hours a day).

I would suggest like some of the posters above, however, to play the Atelier Iris games.  Both are instant classics filled with humor, good stories, memorable characters, and a fun atmosphere.

On the flipside, some of the Megaten games such as Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and the more recent Devil Summoner games are fun as well.

Either way, it looks like you have a lot to play through - enjoy.

And they shall know no fear...
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:49 PM »

Quote from: "Persona2007"

On the flipside, some of the Megaten games such as Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and the more recent Devil Summoner games are fun as well.

Played them all!

Rush

curtis_harding@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 10:06:34 PM »

I suggest Tales of the Abyss. The game has a great storyline and a good few characters to collect while on your journey. The Series also has a reputation that stands tall since Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny Back in the SNES/PS1 days. Each game in the series being a good one, this one said to be one of the best, and in my opinion, it was one of them. Try it out for sure.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 11:51:31 PM »

Don't really like Tales games. I find them too generic.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: