Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:56:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is anyone else just plain tired of Tetsuya Nomura?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Is anyone else just plain tired of Tetsuya Nomura?  (Read 6981 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2007, 11:38:55 PM »

I like(d) the guy, but his work seems to have deteriorated over the years. Make it look like gackt, slap a ton of buckles and zippers, and you have his art style. The whole crybaby prettyboy thing is getting a bit tiresome as well. They kept a tighter leash on him before the Enix merger, but it seems like they let him go wild with designs. If I recall correctly Square Enix is releasing around 5 games this year that has Nomura Character designs.

Here's a comparison of FF7 to Kingdom Hearts:

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »

I was never a fan of Nomura's style.  All his characters looked alike to me and every single one of Nomura's characters is a fashion victim without peer.  Nomura does not know how to dress people properly.  The outfits he designs are over the top clownishly stupid.  Okay, the outfits in FF7 and 8 weren't bad, but from The Bouncer onward... yeah.  

But the one guy I'm getting sick of more than anyone else in the JRPG realm is Motoi Sakuraba.  I used to think his flowing compositions were good, but for years he's just been farting out so much music for so many games that it's all either sucktastic or complete drivel that wouldn't even realize was there... even if it was turned off.  Recycles like crazy too.  

How the hell does he get so much work composing for games?  Does he work cheaply or for free or something?  Guy's such a shitty composer who recycles his stuff all the damn time.  

I guess environmentalists may like Nomura and Sakuraba because they constantly recycle their own garbage.  (bad joke, I know.)

Still, in terms of character design recycling, Akira Toriyama still takes the cake.  Nomura is still not nearly as bad as him.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Still, in terms of character design recycling, Akira Toriyama still takes the cake.  Nomura is still not nearly as bad as him.

True, but honestly I prefer Toriyama's style. At least it's not utterly stupid and ridiculous, and he's made quite a few designs that, while not exactly amazing, were very solid, like the cast for CT and DQVIII. You can name all of them as looking like some other Toriyama character aside from Frog, Robo, and Yangus, but they're dressed more like normal people at least.
Red Phire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:41 AM »

I've been tired of Nomura since FF X. First thing I noticed when I saw most of the cast of X was that they reminded me of the cast of VIII. I mean is it so hard for S-E to try someone else?

Anyway I agree with you Eusis, I like a lot of Akira's work. Especially his designs for Dragon Quest:Swords. I love the looks of the three main characters.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:49:39 AM »

But the one guy I'm getting sick of more than anyone else in the JRPG realm is Motoi Sakuraba.

Seriously. He's got 3 types of songs now. 'Ok' ones that remind you of his earlier stuff, but not as good. Bad. And that one dungeon theme in SO3 that actually pisses you off and forces you to mute the TV.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:53:14 AM »

Fuck Nomura. Fuck him hard in his fucking zipper-loving ass.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:02:19 AM »

I dunno...I kinda like the new cloud.  The wing is fucking wierd, but otherwise, the zipper thing or whatever you wanna call it isn't to bad in my opinion.  

Maybe im just not as cool as you guys, but I think it makes cloud go from prissy spikey haired assbitch, to awesome badass.

I do hate the designs of X though.  Only Auron looked anything decent, out of the main characters anywho, well him and the one cat guy, dont remember his name.

Still, if I can name one thing more horrible than anything else in X, it would be Blitzball (GAH) and Wakka's retarded ass voice.  Like some freaky jamaican/southerner hybrid thing.  Freaking creepy.

I think Akira Toriyamas work pretty much looks similar because its fairly simple in most cases, but still manages for the most part to look unique (DBZ not withstanding) In VII, while you can totally tell its toriyamas style (Which I both like and dislike..more like though) The characters didn't really feel uninspired or anything.  Maybe its just knowing that its his style or what, I dunno.

All I can say in terms of FF, is that at least the new "Evil Zipper" design is much cooler looking on the characters it was done for than Tidus and Vaan.  Both of them just looked ridiculous.  And again, I guess it depends on the character.  For Cloud, in that picture above, like I said, is a major improvment over the original sans wierd ass wing.  I like the bandaged sword espeically.  

Then again, thats just me.  My biggest peeve with any japanese character design, though most prevalant in FF games, is the girlish main characters, who look rediculous next to the fairly badass adult male characters (Aka: Vaan to the other two, whos names I cant remember either)

Its late for me, havnt had alot of sleep, so I apologize for forgetting names and spelling rather crappy.  Id go through and fix it, since its easy...but im lazy and tired so :P

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »

Toriyama's art is really good when it's not dragonball.

And that one dungeon theme in SO3 that actually pisses you off and forces you to mute the TV.

Sweete Jesus eggnog, YES. That fucking song.

Anyway, I don't have any issue with the designs in FFXII. Other than Vaan -- who doesn't count because he is retarded and can't dress himself in context of the storyline anyway -- everyone dresses sensibly. Maybe Ashe's miniskirt is a little odd, but it's still a normal miniskirt. Balthier's vest is a tad frilly, but again, relatively normal leather vest with cute leatherworking.

Anyway, at least the outfits are actually symetrical. And look like clothes.

FFX is sort of the 'WTF are you thinking?' nadir as far as weird clothing styles go. Auron wasn't bad, but everyone else was just sort of wut.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:25:01 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Anyway, I don't have any issue with the designs in FFXII.

And Tetsuya Nomura didn't design the characters for that, so of course they'd dress more sensibly.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:59:04 AM »

I don't particularly *like* Nomura's style, but it has yet to actually piss me off. There are at least two character designs per game where I see them and think "wow, that's hip" (in 10, it would be Auron and Yuna).

I think it's just like...companies are defined by their key staff. Square Enix got Nomura, and it looks like he's not going anywhere anytime soon. I, for one, can put up with it. ...except maybe Sora's weird-ass baggy pants and shoes.

Ramza

PS - Sakuraba? Yeah, he gets REALLY old really fast. But for some reason, I keep finding things I LIKE from him year in year out. In recent times, his scores for Baten Kaitos 1 and 2 have really been decent, and before that, I was in love with Star Ocean 2. But, IMO, SO3 was a huge letdown musically, and Sakuraba's "shittiness" is probably due to the fact that he writes so much. If he were to limit himself, take less jobs, etc, we'd probably see more originality in his music. I have hopes for Eternal Sonata, as that's essentially Sakuraba's baby (it's all tri-Crescendo).

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 02:33:56 AM »

Yeah, I hate Nomura's style. I think he was fine in FF8 (if I remember correctly, he wasn't on board for FF7), and the character clothing was quite natural, but FFX happened and WTF? I don't even like Auron's outfit... I mean, it's sorta "cool", but it's still so incredibly over-the-top. But I'll agree he's the best of the bunch (except for maybe Wakka's outfit, which does make a certain amount of sense when you look at the culture).

As for Sakuraba, I think that was purely a SO3 bullshit thing. I actually really like most of his other stuff. Compared to a lot of the other composers in the the jRPG biz these days like Noriyuki Iwadare (Grandia... where every battle theme sounds like an NBC Sports rippoff), Yasunori "I like shitty celtic pop" Mitsuda... Sakuraba's a godsend. He did a fabulous job with the Tales games, and Valkyrie Profile 2 (which I just started). He did really suck in SO3, but honestly, I can't name one aspect of that game that I didn't have major problems with, so I'm more apt to blame the director.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 04:28:01 AM »

ya got balls to go after Mitsuda and Iwadare.

Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 04:54:45 AM »

Nomura sucks, his char design,s suck too, i hate all around this guy.

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 05:43:06 AM »

I like Nomuras designs, however I have been getting kinda bored with him for a while.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »

I'm getting sick of the style, because I don't think it's fair to say it's just him doing it anymore.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: