Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 05:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is anyone else just plain tired of Tetsuya Nomura?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Is anyone else just plain tired of Tetsuya Nomura?  (Read 6983 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »

I'll admit I like his design for FF13's Lightning, and I hope he'll steer away from his modern-look designs in video games.  Its a Wonderful World and Kingdom Hearts 2 being the worst offenders of pretitious and silly outfits.

Each new game seems to go over the top in some way with either clothing or ridiculous hair (KH's unknowns...some looked just down right gay).

On another note, some of my favorite designs came from FF12 (non-Tetsuya).

In support of Ttsuya though, I'll sya that the dude can draw well and knows hot to make a descent drawing and pose them really well from time to time.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »

The only thing I've heard from Sakuraba recently is the VP2 soundtrack. Which I enjoyed a lot.

And a lot of his older work is excellent too. VP, Star Ocean 2, Tales of Destiny. The Star Ocean 3 soundtrack did suck though.

As for the character designs. I don't have much of an opinion. They don't suck, but I don't like them either.

"Oh, a hunter..."
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

Nomura is getting redundant, I'll agree. His belt and zipper fetish seems to be getting worse, too. Though, I don't give him too much grief about girly-looking, angsty protagonists. Thats not a Nomura thing, thats a Japan thing.
As for Sakuraba, I was cool with some of the stuff from Star Ocean 2 and 3, but never really dove into anything from his other compilations. I see his name on a lot of sound work though, which does lead me to believe he's not putting as much effort into it as he could.
This thread just reminds me of why Kazuma Kaneko and Shoji Meguro are so important.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »

It should be noted that Sakuraba is heading up the compositions for Smash Bros. Brawl. Obviously, he's only writing a fraction of the compositions himself (the list has been past around a few dozen times by now, so I won't post it here), but he's in charge of them, and I think he's writing the majority of the original stuff for the game.

BTW: with Valkyrie Profile 2, I really like the music, but the sound effects are just terrible. I didn't really have a problem with them in the first game, but they did NOT cross over well. I've never played a game where the sound effects just didn't sit well with me, this much.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »

And Tetsuya Nomura didn't design the characters for that, so of course they'd dress more sensibly.

Well, that DOES explain a lot.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 08:26:35 PM »

No, I absolutely love his art and can't get enough of it.
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I was never a fan of Nomura's style.  All his characters looked alike to me and every single one of Nomura's characters is a fashion victim without peer.  Nomura does not know how to dress people properly.  The outfits he designs are over the top clownishly stupid.  Okay, the outfits in FF7 and 8 weren't bad, but from The Bouncer onward... yeah.  

But the one guy I'm getting sick of more than anyone else in the JRPG realm is Motoi Sakuraba.  I used to think his flowing compositions were good, but for years he's just been farting out so much music for so many games that it's all either sucktastic or complete drivel that wouldn't even realize was there... even if it was turned off.  Recycles like crazy too.  

How the hell does he get so much work composing for games?  Does he work cheaply or for free or something?  Guy's such a shitty composer who recycles his stuff all the damn time.  

I guess environmentalists may like Nomura and Sakuraba because they constantly recycle their own garbage.  (bad joke, I know.)

Still, in terms of character design recycling, Akira Toriyama still takes the cake.  Nomura is still not nearly as bad as him.

While I have to agree that Sakuraba recycles a lot of similar styles to his music, if you look at his major soundtracks, they differ a lot.  The Star Ocean series, while not that great of soundtracks (except 2...1 was terrible, 3 was okay, Blue Sphere had some awesome songs), does sound a lot different than his music from Tales.  Baten Kaitos sounds a lot different, too, and VP2 is leagues different than any of the other ones he has done.

But yeah, other than his major soundtracks, they are all pretty repetitive.  But considering how many soundtracks he does a year, I don't blame him.  

I would say that Sakimoto is far worse when it comes to RPG soundtracks than anyone else.  I cannot stand him.  I can never tell the difference from FFT, Stella Deus, and FFXII.  They are all primitive shitfests that differ only in the fact that they are different games.

Oh, and I'm sick of Nomura, too.  I really liked the designs of FFVII (the old ones, not the newer ones) and FFVIII.  But that's about it.  Everything else (ESPECIALLY Kingdom Hearts) is some of the ugliest artwork I've ever seen.  And his characters are always the same.

I hate Toriyama, too.  Never liked him, even when the only thing I saw from him was Dragon Ball and Chrono Trigger.  Every character looks the same, and the women look like men.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 09:22:23 PM »

I do admit, I think Sakimoto's truly worse in regards to being repetitive than Sakuraba, and I like more Sakuraba songs than Sakimoto ones, But, uhh, Sakimoto's stuff comes off as more classy so it doesn't bug me as much. It's more generic clasical-ish music, and less HEADBANGING THE CASIO. Plus yeah, Baten Kaitos and VP2 both are very different from Sakuraba's usual.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 09:34:40 PM »

I can never tell the difference from FFT, Stella Deus, and FFXII. They are all primitive shitfests that differ only in the fact that they are different games.

FFXII's soundtrack is also really inappropriate. I mean, in one part, you're walking through some sort of gigantic, crumbling oil rig. HOW does that call for, uh... I'm guessing some sort of orchestral sort-of-ambient neo-classical thing, but I can't even recall FFXII having music.

For that matter, I also haven't really noticed the music in Odin Sphere.

Anyway, did Nomura draw the in-game portraits for FFXII? THOSE look like his style.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:53 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
FFXII's soundtrack is also really inappropriate. I mean, in one part, you're walking through some sort of gigantic, crumbling oil rig. HOW does that call for, uh... I'm guessing some sort of orchestral sort-of-ambient neo-classical thing, but I can't even recall FFXII having music.

Yeah, as a composer, I'm entirely uninterested in Sakimoto soundtracks. They don't do anything for me in game or out of game, really. Most of the time it feels like he's really playing it safe. I mean, I applaud him for not going the teeny-bopper-pop route, but the result isn't really any more interesting. His motifs and melodies are stale to non-esistant. He's a pretty good arranger (or he has good arrangers who work for him... as is usually the case, these days), but his works lack cohesion because it's obvious that he really doesn't pre-compose very much.

Overall, his work strikes me as being bland-city... meat and potatoes. His chord progressions are "safe", still stuck in the first half of the 19th century. Hell, Brahms would have probably called him "behind the times". His rythmic elements are stale, and I've never heard his works swell with a really good overall arc. He commonly falls into the same trap that Mitsuda does: he builds to some climax that never actually takes place, and just loops the track there... though he's not nearly as bad, in that regard as Mitsuda. Bottom line is, his music never goes anywhere.

Sakuraba, Uematsu, and Koji Kando are able to make things that really GO somewhere and come back, in a short amount of time, and have a good sense of tension and release, that's what makes them the class A composers that they are. Mitsuda USED to be able to do that (with Chrono Trigger and Xenogears). I think Sakimoto sees his job as to "set the feeling". But that's not good game/film scoring. Emotion is created through the development and release of various styles... I just don't think he "gets" that part of the job. Lacking melody or interesting motivic material, as well as a sense of progression, makes for some very flawed and bland scores.

To tell the truth, I'd love to steal his job from him...

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »

Oh, BTW, two composers I'm going to be VERY interested in following are Masashi Hamauzu, who did most of the really interesting stuff in FFX, and who I just learned is actually planning to score all of FFXIII (that'll be really exciting). And another is Yoshitaka Hirota, who did the bulk of the work for the Shadow Hearts series... along with Mitsuda (who mostly did all the boring town themes).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »

I don't know much about fashion, but at the least, the outfits for Roxas and his three other friends look pretty natural, like what kids their age in reality would wear.

Sora's balloon-toed clown shoes DO like stupid.

The rest of KH is Nomura having fun with designs he's previously made, but Setzer in KH2 doesn't look anything like Setzer in FFVI; KH2 Setzer looks like a Castlevania REJECT. Maybe it's the over-abundance of bright pink/purple; FFVI Setzer wore darker colors.

Lightning and FFXIII en generale are going to be so awexome; forget FFXII. However, I fear that the political intrigue of the story, from what I've heard already, is going to sound like a precocious 12 year-old wrote it.

As for  Sakuraba, I dig his SO3 soundtrack. With a SPORK. Once I heard the music in-game, I found out it also works out-of-context pretty well too, namely while I'm listening to it going about my daily business. I just appreciate the orchestral and rock styles.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 10:51:47 PM »

Looks like somebody missed the "Nomura didn't design the FFXII cast" section of the thread.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »

i might be shot for this but nomura > amano

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »

They're both very repeptitive in design. Nomura's faces all look rather similar, and Amano's got that zombie look for all of his. They both are very fashion oriented too. Nomura has belts and zippers, Amano has rags and sashes. I do like Nomura better too though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: