Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 08:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327280 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga 2 - Why all the hate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga 2 - Why all the hate?  (Read 6270 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »

So far, it's not that bad. Though I've only just arrived at New Miltia and seen Shion's brother.

I don't mind the battle system, it's not that different from FF 12's, saving up to buy skills, instead of equipment.

Shion's new voice *is* crap. Chaos' is an improvement.

The music is a mixed bag. I've had the soundtrack for ages - but I don't remember that really shit battle music being on it.

All in all, not as horrid as I've been led to believe.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:06:30 AM »

I haven't played it myself, but from what I read the main complaint was the fact that you have to boost your attacks to do decent damage, even in normal battles. Thus, dragging battles for longer than they need to be.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »

I loved every game in the Xenosaga series. II is the black sheep for plenty of reasons. But if you can *get over it* and enjoy the game for what it is, you'll still enjoy it.

And you don't remember that shit battle music because the soundtrack is only Yuki Kajiura's work. Much of the in-game music from II is from Shinji Hosoe -- no OST was released for his work.

Ramza

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:56 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
I haven't played it myself, but from what I read the main complaint was the fact that you have to boost your attacks to do decent damage, even in normal battles. Thus, dragging battles for longer than they need to be.

Boosting was a big part of Xeno 1 too. I don't see the difference.

Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:11:08 PM »

The main problem with Xenosaga II is that it should never have been released as a stand alone game.  Xenosaga II does very little to actually advance the series plot.  Instead it just serves as an introduction for Jin and also fleshes out the U.R.T.V story arc that began in the second half of episode one.  

There is (or perhaps was) evidence that XS II (or parts of XS II) was originally meant to be the ending of episode one.  Obviously it was not included and what we were left with was a game with very little substance.  

In fact, they could have just taken 4 or 5 cut scenes from XS II, slap them on a disk and release it instead of XS II and it would have had the exact same impact on the plot as a whole.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 04:02:41 PM »

Remember, Xenosaga was initially supposed to be a 6 game series, but various circumstances prevented that from happening.  So if we had gotten 4, 5, and 6, maybe then XSII would have had more of an impact.  If you read the database in the beginning of XSIII, it does feel like there should have been something between II and III.  

So in the proposed 6 game arc context, XSII would have probably had more meaning.  But since the series was accelerated and cut short...

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 04:22:26 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
So far, it's not that bad. Though I've only just arrived at New Miltia and seen Shion's brother.

You haven't gotten to where it actually gets bad. Between the beginning of the game and that point, it's actually an improvement over the original thanks to being so much faster. Then at, uhh, the third dungeon I guess you can call it, they up and forgot why they made those battles so damn quick, and they start dragging out to 5 or even as long as 10 minutes. I hated it.

Also, in regards to the boosting? Boosting was useful in XS1. In XSII, you have to break enemies then boost boost boost all at once to do as much damage as possible. And save up turns for those boosts, leading to a lot of doing nothing. Maybe it's because I rushed the game though, but it sounds like at best there's other viable strategies, however the battles STILL take too long.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 08:39:03 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

You haven't gotten to where it actually gets bad. Between the beginning of the game and that point, it's actually an improvement over the original thanks to being so much faster. Then at, uhh, the third dungeon I guess you can call it, they up and forgot why they made those battles so damn quick, and they start dragging out to 5 or even as long as 10 minutes. I hated it.

Are you talking about the part in Momo's psyche? That's where I am now. And it is dragging.

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:09:38 PM »

The battle system just gets worse, it's horrid when you get to the last dungeons, I put the game down until Episode III came out after that. If nobody told me how good Ep. III was I never would have finished it either. Thankfully it was worth it, Episode III was awesome.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:41:29 PM »

Are you talking about the part in Momo's psyche? That's where I am now. And it is dragging.

Yup.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:43:44 PM »

Honestly, they should have removed the "Stock" command to force people to utilize the battle system correctly.

If you constantly switch characters and attack enemies with their weakness (I'm talking about attribute AND element, not just zones) and rely on break bonus instead of stocking, the battle system becomes quiet engaging. The whole stocking tactic is really lame and unnecessary.

For all it's problems, it was my favorite Xenosaga game.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »

I played a lot of Xenosaga II. I probably played more of II than I did of III. II was hard, probably the hardest of the series. Your characters do not gain much HP compared to your enemy's, and the pool of skills being shared by everyone does lead to some similarities..however...

The stock system can be broken, especially when you get the skill that makes you invincible when you Stock. Plus, some of the optional boss fights are fun, like Dark Erde Kaiser.

I played through all of the optional dungeons, I beat every boss besides the last four optional bosses(which all sound stupidly impossible).

It was worth it. II had some great scenes, like the one at the end of MOMO's Encephalon dive.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 07:43:17 AM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
I played a lot of Xenosaga II. I probably played more of II than I did of III. II was hard, probably the hardest of the series. Your characters do not gain much HP compared to your enemy's, and the pool of skills being shared by everyone does lead to some similarities..however...

The stock system can be broken, especially when you get the skill that makes you invincible when you Stock. Plus, some of the optional boss fights are fun, like Dark Erde Kaiser.

I played through all of the optional dungeons, I beat every boss besides the last four optional bosses(which all sound stupidly impossible).

It was worth it. II had some great scenes, like the one at the end of MOMO's Encephalon dive.

I understand *why* people didn't like XSII, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it a great deal. I for one don't think the Jr. / MOMO plot was trivial.

If by the "last optional bosses," I'm assuming you're refering to the three bosses added to the North American version. They're not stupidly impossible. If you could put up with the tedium of the Dark Erde Kaiser fight, you could do at least two of those three with ease. I mean, I've fought some cheap ass battles in my life (Ruby&Emerald from VII being among the larger culprits). And those optional guys weren't that bad.

Paying off Matthew's debt, however, was a waste of time. It essentially amounted to beating the last boss (and watching the ending) 20 times.

I know the MOMO subconscious dungeon isn't the most innovative of places (especially when they reuse it with snow...), but I mean, it's not like there were a ton of different environments anyway. C'mon ... you go to Old Miltia (in various ways) like 6 times throughout the series.

I liked II, but I LOVED III. That's what it's all about.

Ramza

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »

its all because of the battle system. a huge problem though was that you had no way of knowing wich zone an attack would hit without trial and error. i also disliked the fact that swaping party members mid battle cost you a turn. lastly i hated that you had to do minigames to get the co-op attacks.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Persona2007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 12:50:21 PM »

The only thing I did not like about Xenosaga 2 was it's reception.  Had Xenosaga 2 been a smashing success they would have been able to produce the 6 part series they originally intended.  It seemed that 3 was rushed after 2 and it left the series in a lackluster state compared to what it could have been.  It wasn't awful by any means, but it could have been so much more.

Hopefully someday we'll see a remake of Xenogears or another spinoff of the Xeno storyline.

And they shall know no fear...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: