Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332935 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  jRPGs need a new name...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: jRPGs need a new name...  (Read 1348 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »

I've been using the term "jRPG" for a while now, as a way of differentiating them from tabletop RPGs and american hack&slash RPGs. And while it does solve the problem of designation, it's not a very good description. I love jRPGs, but I'll be the first admit that there's no "role playing" involved. In fact, I don't even really want role playing involved with them, if I did, I'd play more tabletop rpgs. The bottom line is, jRPGs need a new genre name, all to themselves.

The only things I tend to hear are snide comments from people who hate jRPGs, as a way of degrading them to lesser forms of other genres: "Interactive Movies", or "Interactive Novels". But those aren't very good descriptions, the jRPG is it's own "thing," with it's own unique set of characteristics, and sadly, cliches.

What do the Japanese call them? Does their name translate to "Roll Playing Game" or something similar? Or do they think of them as adventure games, or what?

Obviously, what's said here won't change anything... and jRPGs are probably destined to be called "Role Playing Games" for eternity, but let's see if we can come up with a better designation.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:41:20 PM »

Adventure games with grinding.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »

I think most anything that is attempted is going to be too pretentious, but then that's the way with any new genre name these days (FREE anyone?). Let's ignore the story and movies and look at the gameplay, as the only time that's relevant to what genre it belongs to is when /all/ games have to have that, or they don't qualify. Ultimately, I still think RPGs are more or less tied to the P&P roots. Most still have levels, most still have blatantly visible stats, etc. This is the other half of why I don't think Zelda can count, but that'd just be getting off the topic, and I only thought of it because of Morwan's example (which amusingly is like a reversal of the 'Zelda is an RPG!' argument).

Obviously however, there's no real role playing in most of them, nothing that you can truly argue for that doesn't apply to any other game that isn't a puzzle game anyway. I'd say find an alternative name that's already used for pen & paper games that can apply to this, and use it or at least modify it to apply to video games.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »

I've never called them Jrpgs, hack n slash, etc. They've all just been RPGs in my book.

I try to keep the wide array of genre names down to a minimum. It's already gotten outrageous with music. No need to start the same thing with videogames.

"Oh, a hunter..."
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 12:05:35 AM »

Quote from: "Morwan"

That could apply to dating sims as well.

[/url]
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:10:49 AM »

RMG - Resource Management Game?

Quote from: "everluck"
Quote from: "Morwan"

That could apply to dating sims as well.

HA!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 08:04:18 AM »

Grinding Adventure Game= GAG!  

Yeah, let's call Japanese RPGs GAGs!  

What?  No one likes GAGs?  

Good, because I don't either.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »

Jar pee gees?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: