Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338082 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Japanese RPGs you've spent the most time on?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Japanese RPGs you've spent the most time on?  (Read 5039 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 12:53:19 PM »

Pokémon Red - 300+ hours
And I didn't include the countless hours on PBS. Anyone remember PBS?

Terranigma - 300? hours
Replayed that game aprox. 20 times, it's my favorite SNES game.

Disgaea - 135 hours
Replayed it several times, two times for the enjoyment of others.

SaGa Frontier - 115 hours
I really enjoyed that game, I played every scenario atleast once.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 01:14:39 PM »

Every JRPG I've spent longer than 60 hours playing:

Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Symphonia
Legend of Mana
SMT:Nocturne

They're could be more. We're not entirely sure.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 02:09:35 PM »

How in the hell did you spend that much time on SO2?!

And Radiata Stories?! Wow.

The longest I've ever spent on any RPG was 99:57:57 on Final Fantasy VII.

I'm going to assume you have the most time on your hands than anyone else in the universe.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. A few years ago, I could breeze through an RPG in about 40 hours or so. When I played FF9 and put 55 hours into it, it was the longest game I'd played.

Now, I can't seem to play anything under 70. I think games have increased, for sure, but I think now that I have a job, and have a few less hours in the week to play, and have to play for shorter periods, I think a lot more time is spent just settling into the game again, each night. Until this past year, Suikoden III was the longest, at about 95 hours.

- Final Fantasy XII was probably the most, which clocked in at around 130.

- Dragon Quest VIII was rediculous, I think I was about 120 in, with no end in sight (I had to fight some pirate king or something, and was getting the shit beat out of me).

- Suikoden V was around 110, which makes sense, since series tend to add on a little more time every game (except for SuikoIV, which I hear is really short).

- Zelda: Twilight Princess clocked in at around 75, though I did get all the heart pieces and bugs. I feel like I was going a decent pace too, although I was enjoying the game so much, I think I just killed a lot of time riding around, fishing, and doing other things, so that might explain some additional hours.

- Tales of the Abyss was around 90 hours or so, for me.

- Ar Tonelico was a lot shorter, I'm at the final boss and about 35 hours in. The game feels a bit short though.

I'm all for long games, but maybe the game industry needs to reel things in a little, tighten up the storytelling a bit. Many games drag because, for instance, in FF12, one "quest" would be 5 dungeons long, and span 15 hours, of which there would be only the smallest hint of story progression, that got a bit excessive.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
How in the hell did you spend that much time on SO2?!

And Radiata Stories?! Wow.

The longest I've ever spent on any RPG was 99:57:57 on Final Fantasy VII.

I'm going to assume you have the most time on your hands than anyone else in the universe.

Radiata Stories I spent so much time playing because I didn't use a guide to get all of the characters.  I basically just went around meeting every character, and trying to figure out how to recruit them.

SO2, I already explained.

But a couple of years ago, I had absolutely no life.  I semi do now, and I rarely get time to do anything I love to do (writing, games, reviewing).  But I graduate on Saturday, so I'll have most of the summer to do whatever I want when I get home from work and such.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 03:37:54 PM »

Terranigma - 300? hours.Replayed that game aprox. 20 times, it's my favorite SNES game

Exactly the same here

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »

i dont know the exact time but in recent memory:

super robot taisen Original Generations 2 - 2 complete playthroughs to see all the branching paths and unlock all the secrets

Super Robot Taisen Judgement - just finished my first playthrough and for similar reasons as OG2 i will playing through the game a total of 4 times then i will get to Super Robot Taisen W for DS. SRT J clocks in at 52 chapters >_>

Valyrie Profile 2 - dual playthroughs + multiple seraphic hate completions to get angel slayer.

Radiata Stories - all characters recruited in my book.

Star Ocean 3 - tried to get all battle trophies but gave up after i unlocked sound test

Rouge Galaxy - unlocking all constumes takes some serious time :o

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »

Final Fantasy VII: 99:99:99 (maxed out the time log counter; levelled up all characters to LV.99, Gold Chocobo, got all Master Materia (e.g., by actually mastering all Materia of said type), and defeated Emerald Weapon; only thing I never did in the game was defeat Ruby Weapon.

Final Fantasy VIII: About 60 hours, or so. Got all GFs, got most of the cards, but didn't bother with all of them, due to disadvantegeous rules being spread o'er the land; never defeated Omega Weapon.

Final Fantasy IX: About 60 hours; Gold Chocobo, all ultimate weapons, all characters' abilities mastered, all characters up to about LV.60, defeated Ozma, all other documented side quests completed

Final Fantasy X: Ugh, somewhere between 60 and 100 hours; I forget. Crazy levelling-up at the Omega Ruins; all ultimate weapons, all Summons, all side quests completed...no damn way I'm ever going to go back through all that ever again...and I did that twice... XP

Xenogears: 80 hours first playthrough, 60 hours second playthrough; what a difference it made, knowing already what to do second time around!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 07:44:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
never defeated Omega Weapon.

I always wondered, why don't Final Fantasy's ever have an "Alpha Weapon"... I mean, it would have to be the shittiest little pushover on the face of the planet, but it would be funny.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 07:56:51 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "Bernhardt"
never defeated Omega Weapon.

I always wondered, why don't Final Fantasy's ever have an "Alpha Weapon"... I mean, it would have to be the shittiest little pushover on the face of the planet, but it would be funny.

Genius.   x)

Longest was over 100 hours on Dark Cloud 2.  But SO3 is steadily catchign up at 93 hours and still incomplete.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 08:36:56 PM »

I can't give you the exact playtime, but I finished Golden Sun 3 times, and I finished FFX twice.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 09:24:52 PM »

Pokémon Gold/Silver - 200+ hours. I had 120 hours on one Gold playthrough and I've beaten Silver plenty of times.

Pokémon Red/Yellow/LeafGreen - Probably 100 hours max. Never replayed them that much.

Tales of Symphonia - 210+ hours. First time playing, I got 50 hours, but I restarted because I couldn't beat a certain boss(tried like 5 times), and I couldn't escape from the place to go train some more. So then, it took me about 50 hours on my first complete playthrough, 80 hours on a new game +(went through it slow, did more sidequests, etc), and around 35 hours on my most recent playthrough. There'll be more hours added, since I plan on doing a new game + on Mania sometime.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - 120+ hours. I've beaten it 3 times.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - ~90 hours. Two partial playthroughs + 65 hours to beat the game my third time playing.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - ~65 hours. 3 playthroughs on Easy mode.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 11:00:33 PM »

Final Fantasy XII - I think my last save was on about 100 hours, but it's been testing my patience for a while now and I've yet to finish it.

Dragon Quest VII - I spent far too much time on this, about 100 hours again, in hindsight I wish I hadn't. The class system is so slow, it takes your characters forever to gain ranks.

Final Fantasy IX - About 95 hours, but unlike the other two I enjoyed every hour I played it.

Obviously it isn't a console RPG, but I've spent countless hours playing Neverwinter Nights, easily more than any other game. Not so much the official campaigns but the myriad of quality fan modules.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 12:04:34 AM »

I'm not completely positive, but more likely than not it's DWVII. Only game that broke the 3 digit mark that i know of. Second place would go to DDS1 in replays. Single playthroughs though, definitely just DWVII.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 03:02:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure my longest play time for a Japanese RPG is 86 hours, which was done on Dragon Quest VIII. The next closest would definately be Final Fantasy XII at 82 hours, but the length of that game was due to insane amount of sidequest hours that went into it, whereas DQ's run through was primarily storyline.

Other biggies:

Pokemon series - I spend a good 70-100 hours on each (Blue, Silver, Saphire, Pearl)
Magna Carta - 76 hours
Legend of Dragoon - 72 hours
Tales of the Abyss - 66 hours
Xenogears - 62 hours
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: