Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 02:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Very Saddest games...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The Very Saddest games...  (Read 20081 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 10:39:23 PM »

I'm going to nominate something else, Mother 3.

Code:
Yeah, it's another death scene, but I think in this case it's less the actual death itself that's sad, but the reactions. It's in the first chapter, you're playing Flint, and going through the forest on a rainy night to find his two kids, the main characters and his brother (Lucas and Claus), as well as his wife Hinata, who were all supposed to be back by sunset. He manages to find his kids huddled around a camp fire, but not his wife. One of the characters comes and tells him the good news, that they found a Drago fang that can be used as a great weapon. Bad news was that it was in his wife's heart. He has a complete break down at this point, kicking over the fire, knocking people down with a 2x4 before he's hit from behind and knocked out and thrown into jail for the night to cool down.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 11:15:17 PM »

Celes attempted suicide lost a lot of its luster because of the presentation. also by that point in the game i much more closely identified with Terra,so even if she succeeded it wouldn't of meant much to me. also i dont know if this counts as a sad moment but there was a moment in arc the lad twilight of spirits where:
Code:
the game makes you chose between kharg and darc and i thought the one you didnt chose was gonna die and it was a hard choice to make

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 11:55:59 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
I'm surprised that Drakengard (the 1st a& 2nd) didn't get waaaaaaaay more mention.  That game is depressing to shit man!!!!!

To make a long, long story short.... I have never seen more chaos in one game as that one.

The recent "best quotes" thread mentioned Drakengard, and someone decided to call the quote (and, in essence, the game itself) "emo" and then some other folks and I spent a bunch of time defending this game and its awesomeness.

I've *never* played the second Drakengard, though I think I might someday soon. The first one was beautiful IMO.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »

Haven't played it in a long time (I think I may soon), but from what I remember, Illusion of Gaia was pretty sad. There were just a lot of depressing scenarios.

The pig was heartbreaking. And the whole "best-friend-just-became-a-fish" thing, however illogical, was kind of a drag.

edit:
Final Fantasy Tactics was another downer pretty much all the way through. What with murders, betrayals, and lies going on left and right, you're never really sure who the good guys are. Everyone's always double crossing you, and then you have to kill them.

[/url]
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 02:15:40 AM »

Eusis, having read the spoiler text, WTF? Does the scene actually go like that? If so, it's damn brutal. Then again, it's mother. That series isn't nice in the oddest of ways.

Also, someone mentioned buzz-buzz earlier. While I think that was at least partially IN JEST or something, and while I wouldn't say it's say, it is a rather odd seen! Buzzbuzz, being a being of a immense power (of immense power?) just gets... squished. 'Voltaireian' would be a suitable adjective, were that a word.

Also! The Mani-Mani statue. what was up with that? Also, was Carpainter supposed to be Jesus? The guy looks like a rabbi, Carpainter as a word looks a LOT like carpenter (which jesus was), and he DID found a religion.  Anyway, that wasn't sad.

Hm. Metal Saga. Talk to some of the important NPCs with the main character dead and watch them freak out (or talk to Misha or N...icolai's parents when one of them is dead).

Ultima 7. Just gonna go ahead and spoil this one because the game is old and this isn't really a plot twist or anything. basically, you go to skara brae, which is some island where everyone is dead because an experiment to get rid of a necromaner went wrong and sort of just blew everything the fuck up. anyway, the ghosts are still on the island and going about like nothing is wrong, which is just a tad surreal. However, when the plot arc there comes to an end, the mayor ends up sacrificing his soul to, er, I guess complete annihilation in order to stop the necromancer and free everyone's spirits. I'm horrible at retelling these things. It's really quite sad, though. Honest.

Also, this technically isn't an RPG at all, but there was this secondlife predecessor called ActiveWorlds that I played for a bit. It was, like secondlife, relatively vacant. So I'd just walk around some of the various empty, yet frequently well designed, worldspaces. It was sort of like walking through a post apocalyptic dreamscape. Maybe not sad, actually. Just oddly chilling.

Also, the endinf to Honor Quest: Special Edition. If anyone knows what that is, I'm going to be extremely... terrified.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 02:27:39 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Eusis, having read the spoiler text, WTF? Does the scene actually go like that? If so, it's damn brutal. Then again, it's mother. That series isn't nice in the oddest of ways.

Yeah, you can see screens here at the bottom of the walkthrough part.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »

Another one that really got to me was the not-perfect ending of SuikoV. I tried getting all 108 stars, but because of a little glitch in the game, one of the characters wouldn't join, even though they were supposed to, so I came up short. The ending I got, due to that... well, a little piece of me died in side:

Code:
When Lyon died, I just got incredibly depressed. I really grew to like her over the course of the game, I'd already saved her from death once, and it was just really sudden when she up and kealed over at the end. Her relationship with the prince was just lovely. It was sort of a classic shivelress romance, but with the genders reversed. I finished it late one night, and I had to get online and read the good ending so that I wouldn't go to bed really depressed.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2007, 03:35:28 PM »

Aww man, how could I ever forget Breath of Fire V ~ Dragon Quarter, my favorite?

Few games bash human nature and "civilized" society like Breath of Fire V does, but does try to make some of the same points as Final Fantasy VII. That's right, if you wanted to see more of Midgar, Breath of Fire V is definitely the game you want to play.

I'm not going to bother coding this, because it tells you at the very beginning, "This is a tiny tale of time, concerning war between friends," so you know your two male protagonists, Ryu and Bosch, are going to have it out for each other, and multiple times.

Ryu's working class, while Bosch is part of the aristocracy. Bosch desires to be great, much like his father, who's pretty much pushed his son to be great. Bosch has both internal and external forces pushing him towards greatness, that it drives him mad, leading him to betray his friend, whom he was originally going to help. "After I become Regent, I'll be able to help you [Ryu], out!"

What was originally a good friendship despite class rankings deteoriated because of class rankings.

The worst part, I'll code this because it's near the ending,

Code:
Ryu eventually gets so tired of Bosch trying to kill him, that he loses his own patience, and ends up driving his dragon claws through Bosch.

The point is, poor tortured Bosch gets no redemption, no salvation, no chance to turn around from his madness, unlike most sympathizable villains do.

Alot of the scenery in BoF V is just sorrowful. A many of the environments are broken down/run down/dilipidated. You get to run throw junkyards, closed down factories, an abandoned shopping district, and the worst is probably Mid-Sector: you have a bunch of people huddled together in what looks like a flooded-in subway tunnel.

And while the lower classes suffer, in the deep, dark depths of their subterranean existence, you have the ruling class, corrupt as fuck and undeserving of the lucid quarters of their palace.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 03:58:54 PM »

Excellent case with Breath of Fire V.

The main point that people have simply forgotten how a blue sky looks seemed quite sad as well to me, since it is a simple splendor.  The first town you're in has a cave with a teal-blue painted ceiling to resemble it.

I liked the irony of a voiceless Nina... (personally I wouldn't midn seeign Ryu talk more int he future)
Code:
And poor god damn little Nina.  The scientists take out her voice away, almost intentionally and use the girl to shit....she's too cute for that. =(

I found Bosch a fascinating character.
Code:
Froms tabbing Ryu in the throat, to becoming something unhuman. The SOL scene of him as a kid "training" against that big fucken beast and covered in blood afterwards with very little recognition from his father

Bosch's selfishness and desires made a very interesting combination.

For the little air-time most characters get, some still end up being quite interesting.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 10:00:49 PM »

Almost forgot about the Geno Dome and Robo's back story in Chrono Trigger.

Remember that conveyor belt that has people on it, going through a certain machine, and as a person passes through it, you hear a scream, then a shiny speck comes out the other end? Damn, I just wanted to save those people, but you couldn't! What the crap were the robots doing to them exactly, anyway?! I can think of few operations that make a person scream bloody murder AND turn them into a shiny speck of... *whatever*

And then Prometheus (Robo) has to fight his girlfriend (robots have sex?!) Atropos because Mother Brain messed with her circuitry, or because Atropos is operating out of her own mistaken conceptions. Anything that pits heroes against heroes is just tragic, much like the Miguel scenario in Chrono Cross that's already been mentioned.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 11:36:44 PM »

Ah yeah...Chrono Trigger.
Code:
Lucca's Mom.... if you didn't save her

Final Fantasy VI had its moments...
Code:
Anyone else butter up with Rachel's story?  That and while the world was turning into the ruined one...the visuals were pretty horrific, even for its time)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Trance

sham_yl@yahoo.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Where-as Valkyrie Profile... everyone dies

Thanks ...

Chrono Cross ... I am unable to explain why the game makes me sad.

Anyways, emo thread.  :)

Sex, drugs & lasers ...
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »

Quote from: "Trance"
Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Where-as Valkyrie Profile... everyone dies

Thanks ...

It's not really a spoiler. The premise of the game is that you gather the souls of dead warriors to fight for Odin in Ragnarok. Every character you play is predestined to die.
Trance

sham_yl@yahoo.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »

I had no clue ...

Sorry, I guess members here expect others to know that much.
I thought Valkyrie Profile was about something like that, but I was actually pissed off to know for sure that everyone dies.

I guess I felt like I will be playing it some day.

EDIT: Seen my younger brother have a go at it, really enjoying it.

Sex, drugs & lasers ...
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »

Dude, just because characters are dead doesn't mean that they are any less present in the game, if that's what you're concerned with.

Haven't you ever read Pedro Paramo?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: