Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Very Saddest games...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The Very Saddest games...  (Read 20564 times)
Trance

sham_yl@yahoo.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:55 PM »

Please excuse me, I am a bit out of ... touch.

On topic, Legend of Dragoon.

The story surrounding Rose is quite ... sad?

Sex, drugs & lasers ...
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »

Lots of RPG moments have made me feel sad, but the one that sticks out to me is in FF7: (sorry, another FF7 mention :P)

Code:
The struggle that Ifalna, Aeris' mother, had to endure while protecting her and her child, and ultimately, passing away at the train station, requesting that Elmyra, a childless widow, take care of Aeris for her. And later on, watching Elmyra taking care of Aeris. It was all heart-breaking for some reason. Also, a notable mention when Elmyra gets a message that her husband died during the Wutai war, and her response to that. That got me pretty bummed out as well.
Trance

sham_yl@yahoo.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »

I cant help but think...

We all be F***ING EMO here...

:D

Who cares i suppose... freaks

Sex, drugs & lasers ...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 08:19:18 PM »

Quote from: "Trance"
I cant help but think...

We all be F***ING EMO here...

:D

Who cares i suppose... freaks

Ummm, yeah... well... welcome to the board... I guess.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 04:05:28 PM »

I'd say DDS 2 and FF VII are the saddest rpgs I've ever played. In FF VII, just about everyone was depressed for some reason or another. Hell, even Sephiroth was depressed. As for DDS 2... The first game may have been violent, depressing and at times disturbing, it wasn't quite as sad as the second one. True, DDS 1 had its moments -
Code:
Jinana's and Lupa's death scenes, for instance. You even felt bad when Varin/Beck got killed.
But in DDS 2...
Code:
Serph and Heat's "death scene" was certainly a bit surprising, but I thought killing off Argilla /and/ Roland was a bit unnecessary. Heat's actual death scene was probably the worst, especially after finding out why he turned against you. And then they killed off Gale and Cielo.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2007, 08:37:24 PM »

Tossing in a sort of RPGish metroidvania game here, but Cave Story isn't particularly happy. I'd like to talk about why, but it'd be a spoiler to do so, but I think anyone who's played it will get what I'm talking about.

Also, vampire the masquerade: bloodlines had a lot of moments. The worst were the couple times when you had to go kill someone, but you were, say, able to find a peaceful solution if your diplomacy was high enough, and mine never was. It was sort of like in Photopia when you realized you were completely powerless to fix things, only CONSTANTLY.

anyway, in general, what do the all of the y'all tend to find sad in RPGs in general?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2007, 12:23:59 PM »

Sad games? Sad moments? I've got a few.

Lunar 2 (EBC)

Code:
The entire storyline with Ronfar and Mauri was more touching to me than Lucia/Hiro's storyline. There's definetly some sad moments in it, though it does end up happy in the end. I've always wondered how Ronfar managed it though -- Mauri comes with a lot of baggage, what with killing/torturing people under Zophar's influence and all. Plus Ghaleon's redemption was both awesome and sad at the same time, since he's doomed to disappear at the end (and does).

Vay

Code:
The only RPG I know of that kills children and keeps them dead! Easily one of the more tragic moments in the game is when Pottle's killed. It works well because PJ, who hated his guts (and visa versa) for most of the game was JUST starting to become friends with him right before he dies, so her reaction to his death is awesome. Poor PJ. Plus I always thought Otto's reaction to his death was great too (he tells the hero that it was just bad luck, don't let him down, etc), then disappears for a good five hours. You could tell that Pottle's death affected him way more than he cared to show.
Plus you go through the entire game trying to save your fiancee, and when you finally find her, she sacrifices herself. NO HAPPY ENDING FOR YOU.

Secret of Mana

Code:
No mention of this? The death toll in this game is surprisingly high and the ending is bittersweet for such a cute game. Dyluck dies, Sprite dissapears, etc.

Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

Quote from: "Lucid"
I kind of found SaGa frontier 2 to be a little sad in some ways. It wasn't particularly one event or another, just the mood in a lot of the game was rather morose. Most of the characters didn't seem to find peace or fullfillment  in their lives. There was always something left undone for many of them. Also the abruptness of some of the fates of characters, like that brother and sister you meet, and then her brother gets turned into some monster. Rich Knights had a sad story too I guess.

Sad story? You have not played Gustave side of the story then. It's just a sad.(It's goes straight to hell from the beginning to end.) I'd admit Rich Knights story ended in tragedy. But wait till you get to the part when Ginny finds out what happened to her father. Now that tore me up.

Also FFV Had it's share of deaths. but one of them was the best and unexpected death of them all.
Code:
Galuf Death vs Exdeath.  Especially since every attack he uses reduces Galuf HP to 0. and yet he keeps on going to save his friends.
That was a truely a tragic death.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »

Quote from: "Tridius"
Also FFV Had it's share of deaths. but one of them was the best and unexpected death of them all.
Code:
Galuf Death vs Exdeath.  Especially since every attack he uses reduces Galuf HP to 0. and yet he keeps on going to save his friends.
That was a truely a tragic death.
FF VI had a few deaths like that.
Code:
Kefka vs. Leo then Kefka vs. Gestahl. Kefka nearly kills all of you then Leo turns against him only to be completely obliterated. And when Gestahl got it I didn't think it was particularly sad, it was almost amusing to see him use hugely powerful magic attacks on Kefka only to do 0 damage:

"Flare!" Miss. "Meteo!" Miss. "Ultima!" Miss.

It was sad to see Shadow get killed while getting your party off the floating continent, though. Especially as, apart from occasionally being an irritating bastard and leaving your party randomly in the middle of a battle, he was the most powerful character.

Edit: I think it's really annoying when characters get killed off, only to return in an implausible plot twist. Here's a few:

Golden Sun
Code:
For the entire first game, you think Jenna's and Isaac's parents are dead. But then for the first half of the second game, the characters "forget" to mention that in fact they've been alive all along, as if we're supposed to know this. So the only characters who /actually/ die are the non-white bad guys. Hmmm, a bit racist that, don't you think?

Tales of Symphonia
Code:
Okay, it's fairly unrealistic to presume they've killed off all the characters except Lloyd, but when they've all been "miraculously" saved moments before death by Zelos or Kratos, it's a bit overdone. Not to mention the fact that all the dialogue and the VA in those scenes is even more overdone than usual...

DDS 2
Code:
It was a good thing they brought Serph back after his fake death, as I was a bit traumatised after they KILLED OFF THE MAIN CHARACTER. And then while Real Heat was helping AI Serph beat up Real Varna and Fake Varna, I thought i was going to get AI Heat back in my party. But no, Serph had to go and cut him open and then watch him BLEED TO DEATH RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. It's one thing to kill off a character then bring them back, but its another to /actually/ kill them right after you've found out they're still alive. Especially when it's only because the main character's such an idiot he doesn't think of helping his friend who is dying right next to him...
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Code:
It was sad to see Shadow get killed while getting your party off the floating continent, though. Especially as, apart from occasionally being an irritating bastard and leaving your party randomly in the middle of a battle, he was the most powerful character.

But did you know that...
Code:
If you wait long enough before leaving you can take Shadow with you, and you can get him back in the World of Ruin.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »

Vincent's side story in FFVII is nothing but tragedy.

Code:
He loses Lucrecia to Hojo, only to see her get messed up by Hojo (or was it Gast?)

For that matter, who's the one who shot and bio-genetically re-engineered Vincent? Was it Gast or Hojo? If it was Gast, that's REALLY messed up, because he'd otherwise been a good guy until then, but losing Ifalna probably made him messed up in the head.

It definitely would've made more sense if it was Gast, because he'd be using Lucrecia to fill in for his loss of Ifalna; but only Hojo's naturally messed up enough to go genetically re-engineering people left and right.
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »

Dragon Quest VIII

Code:
This game had a few tragic deaths of some really undeserving characters, but the one that really got to me was the death of David, the guy who was basically a slave for Master Dominico. Here's this really nice guy, who gets pushed around and treated poorly. It looks as if he's lead a really hard life, and he gets killed because it turns out he's a sage or whatever it was, it's been a while since I've played the game. I was sad when he died, cause I had felt really bad for his character.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »

Adding on to the above mention...

Code:
I am SO glad that they followed through with that, though. Most games would cop-out, throwing in some sort of plot twist that prevents the character from dying. I thought it was a pretty bold move on the developer's part to actually kill a sympathetic character off in a mostly light-hearted adventure. This actually goes along with the deaths of Alistair and the like as well.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2007, 10:42:56 PM »

Despite how criticized DQVIII for being cliched and unoriginal; heck, the series period, I think stuff like that puts it ahead of a lot of the stuff seen in RPGs, especially from GameArts. It's tiring how most RPGs will avoid actually killing a character off, and sometimes even just pulling a Grandia and reversing the death no matter how important it was to the story. With that said, I think it works fine if there's some sort of price. Even then though, it can just be utterly stupid.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2007, 10:49:59 PM »

Agreed.

To be honest, DQVIII was my first Dragon Quest game. From a battle standpoint, I'll agree that it's very basic and oldschool, but the rest of the game (gameplay, plot, VA, etc) seemed incredibly fresh and new. And the great thing is that I never felt like it was trying too hard. So many games just feel like they're trying every moment to fuck with your head or yoink at your heart, and they come across as being a bit contrived.

I'll go back and finish the game sometime... but it was raping me so badly that I'd rather be standing in a prison shower room full of naked men and have dropped my soap.

Grandia II, I count as a very high 2nd tier game, but it could have EASILLY been one of my favorite games of all time if it hadn't pulled that idiotic resurrection-out-of-nowhere crap.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: