Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:04:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341233 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Very Saddest games...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: The Very Saddest games...  (Read 20944 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2007, 11:14:50 PM »

For fuck's sake Tria, quit being such a fucking pansy whenever someone's not completely "WHY GOOD SIR I DO BELIEVE YOU MADE A MISTAKE. I WOULD APPRECIATE YOU FIXING IT THANK YOU GOOD DAY" to you. I didn't really say anything worse than 'oh for god's sake' and even went 'please'. Instead, you type up a giant rant about how you're so deeply offended, yet apparently can't be bothered to go and fix your damned mistake. Heck, even without knowing what exactly to type, there's the Code button /right up there/; pretty much why I said Code tag rather than Spoiler tag. It's not too complex: There's what Ramza said, and even if you forget that, you can just click the code button up top, and if it happens to be too late just copy/paste it to the right spot. You don't even have to worry about forgetting to reclick since it'll auto-close when you post.

I'd probably be nicer if you weren't an editor and already doing stupid crap elsewhere, but this particular combination... Geez. Hell, others would probably have ripped you to pieces rather than trying to be somewhat helpful.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2007, 11:18:45 PM »

while i am by no means defending him, i do think that if a story is truly great, it's still great even if spoiled. if being spoiled ruins the effect, then the story POSSIBLY relies too much on shock value.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2007, 11:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
while i am by no means defending him, i do think that if a story is truly great, it's still great even if spoiled. if being spoiled ruins the effect, then the story POSSIBLY relies too much on shock value.

Honestly, I can't really argue with that. You might lose a certain perspective when you keep thinking 'yeah, that old bastard's going to bite it', but I think that's probably only for something that seriously requires re-experiencing after a single go through. Some of those cases are heavily foreshadowed anyway, you can tell from reading the first few chapters of Dune that a certain character was going to betray the Atreides, and what Paul would become is more or less obvious from the get go. And there's the mystery of the how and why, which ISN'T obvious for those two examples.

And I'll admit, I didn't even see the spoiler, Ramza spoiled more for me than Tria did, and pedophile could be brought up for any number of reasons. It's just obnoxious to see the rules then an entire thread of examples being disregarded. Plus there weren't many spaces at the bottom so looking at new posts is a bit risky.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2007, 12:37:29 AM »

...I know one thing:  after reading what some of you consider sad, I'm glad you people don't play PC games.  Planescape:  Torment would turn most of you into weepy little bitches. :P

And LOL @ staff not reading the rules.  It's not like there's a lot of them, and it's not like they're all that complicated.  The green bar under your name doesn't make you immune to the rules; only the blue bar does. :P

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2007, 05:53:19 AM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
...I know one thing:  after reading what some of you consider sad, I'm glad you people don't play PC games.  Planescape:  Torment would turn most of you into weepy little bitches. :P

I'm not too sure about that. A lot of us like our subtlety. I like mellodrama, but I also like to have the nuances that a lot of PC/American games lack. They may be emotional, alright, but they're more likely to be hitting you over the head with it than in console RPGs, or having no emotion at all.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2007, 06:08:29 AM »

PST lacking nuances? I.... I don't know what to say about that.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2007, 10:00:09 AM »

There's nothing to say.  He's obviously never played it.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »

PC/American games lack. They may be emotional, alright, but they're more likely to be hitting you over the head with it than in console RPGs

That's... not really true at all :/ Care to give some examples as to what you mean? Like, in regards to american or PC RPGs games that lack emotional subtlety? And I mean games that are actually trying to be emotional. Not doom, here.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2007, 12:30:07 PM »

I find most JRPG's are the melodramatic ones. Only a select few have shown that the developers have a handle of subtlety.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »

Yeah... I'd just kinda shut up with those comments when it's about something a lot of people have been calling the greatest story in a video game ever. What I've played has had pretty good writing, and I've been meaning to start again and seriously play it through to the end. Getting out of the mortuary for, what, a 4th time is just irritating, though I might have a save or two past that. :P

As proof for subtlety, look at KotOR. It's big plot twist is foreshadowed ahead of time, but while I might just be stupid, it wasn't blatantly, screaming in your face like many JRPGs would do with it. Well, outside of having the montage of foreshadowy dialog bits when the plot twist occurs, but that's for dramatic effect and making someone like me go 'damn, why didn't I realize that before?' If you're willing to give Planescape Torment a shot, look around online for a copy or subscribe to GameTap long enough to play through and beat it.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Honestly, I can't really argue with that. You might lose a certain perspective when you keep thinking 'yeah, that old bastard's going to bite it', but I think that's probably only for something that seriously requires re-experiencing after a single go through. Some of those cases are heavily foreshadowed anyway, you can tell from reading the first few chapters of Dune that a certain character was going to betray the Atreides, and what Paul would become is more or less obvious from the get go. And there's the mystery of the how and why, which ISN'T obvious for those two examples.

I think you can only spoil cliche and predictable stories without too much damage being done. If, say, someone told you everything that was going to happen in Tales of Symphonia, you wouldn't really give a damn, but if they ruined Digital Devil Saga for you, you'd probably want to kill them. A story is better if you can't guess what's going to happen, or like Eusis said, if it is obvious but you don't know why it's going to happen. Some stories may still be great even if they have been spoiled, but plot twists are pointless if you know what they are from the start.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »

No, it's not the story itself, it's how it's written. If a story's plot twists lose all of their impact simply by knowing them ahead of time, it's not well written, because if that's the case, said plot twist is relying entirely on shock value, and the execution is lacking in other parts.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »

Agreed, it's the whole Lorence of Arabia kind of thing. You know he dies, right from the beginning of the movie, but it's how his life unfolds, and the way in which they choose to tell it, that makes the film so incredible.

Similarly, sure the individual occurences within Tales of Symphonia are not original, for what it is, the story-telling is superb. You can see the plot twists coming a mile a way, but it really doesn't matter, because it's still done in a fresh dramatic way when it happens.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »

I've had major parts of stories spoiled for me before.  A good example is of the pivotal event that occurred on page 396 of Harry Potter 6.  I knew about it well before I read the book, but then that just made me more interested in the events leading up to it.  What happened, how did it happen, and what happens next?  

I remember reading a comic strip where a character reads a book backwards because everyone always spoils the ending for her.  Then when someone says "nothing happens in the beginning" she gets mad for the beginning being spoiled for her.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2007, 06:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
The green bar under your name doesn't make you immune to the rules; only the blue bar does. :P

WHY DON'T YOU SUCK MY ASS, MESSAGE BOARD ADMIN?

I CAN DO WHAT I WANT, IT'S MY BODY!

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: