Media > Brush and Quill

Book Thread Continued

(1/384) > >>

Jimmy:
You know the drill peoples.

I've just started reading American Gods because I read Sandman: Season of Mists in my graphic novels class and was interested in what else Neil Gaiman had done. I was told to start with American Gods. So far it is pretty entertaining.

Eusis:
I was reading that too, but unfortunately I wound up sitting on my ass about that, and ultimately had to return it to the library before I was done. I bought one of his books with short stories though, and I intend to randomly read some of them later.

Also still have that giant Narnia tome to go through. That should be fun.

Vilnius:
After not being able to find the fourth book of The Runelords series by David Farland (which is an excellent series), I finally jumped on the bandwagon and picked up A Game of Thrones.  I'm about 300 pages in and hoping it gets more exciting as things move on.  Someone please reassure me that I'm not making a mistake in reading this book.

D-Rider:

--- Quote from: "Jimmy" ---I was told to start with American Gods.
--- End quote ---

I don't know who told you that, but they obviously hate you. :P  Not that the book is bad (far from it), but out of all his stuff that I've read, it's by far the heaviest read.  There's a lot to chew on.  If I were to recommend a Gaiman book to start with, I'd say Neverwhere.  It's Alice in Wonderland by way of Tim Burton.

Cauton:
I'm with Darkrider here - while American Gods isn't really bad, it's a bit too convoluted for it's own good. Neverwhere really is a much better starting point.

I haven't been reading much lately, unfortunently. When I was younger I used to read all the time, but recently other hobbies (like video games, anime and manga) have been taking up much of the time I used to spend reading books. The last book I read was The Count of Monte Cristo, which was totally awesome. I have A Feast for Crows waiting for me, but for some reason I'm not feeling very inclined to read it. Which is strange, as I'm a big fan of the previous A Song of Ice and Fire books. I read the first few chapters, but for some reason it never really grabbed a hold of me. Might be because I'm still disappointed after all the
--- Code: ---resurrections
--- End code ---
in the last book - I really hate that plot device.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version