Media > Brush and Quill

Book Thread Continued

(1/392) > >>

You know the drill peoples.

I've just started reading American Gods because I read Sandman: Season of Mists in my graphic novels class and was interested in what else Neil Gaiman had done. I was told to start with American Gods. So far it is pretty entertaining.

I was reading that too, but unfortunately I wound up sitting on my ass about that, and ultimately had to return it to the library before I was done. I bought one of his books with short stories though, and I intend to randomly read some of them later.

Also still have that giant Narnia tome to go through. That should be fun.

After not being able to find the fourth book of The Runelords series by David Farland (which is an excellent series), I finally jumped on the bandwagon and picked up A Game of Thrones.  I'm about 300 pages in and hoping it gets more exciting as things move on.  Someone please reassure me that I'm not making a mistake in reading this book.

--- Quote from: "Jimmy" ---I was told to start with American Gods.
--- End quote ---

I don't know who told you that, but they obviously hate you. :P  Not that the book is bad (far from it), but out of all his stuff that I've read, it's by far the heaviest read.  There's a lot to chew on.  If I were to recommend a Gaiman book to start with, I'd say Neverwhere.  It's Alice in Wonderland by way of Tim Burton.

I'm with Darkrider here - while American Gods isn't really bad, it's a bit too convoluted for it's own good. Neverwhere really is a much better starting point.

I haven't been reading much lately, unfortunently. When I was younger I used to read all the time, but recently other hobbies (like video games, anime and manga) have been taking up much of the time I used to spend reading books. The last book I read was The Count of Monte Cristo, which was totally awesome. I have A Feast for Crows waiting for me, but for some reason I'm not feeling very inclined to read it. Which is strange, as I'm a big fan of the previous A Song of Ice and Fire books. I read the first few chapters, but for some reason it never really grabbed a hold of me. Might be because I'm still disappointed after all the
--- Code: ---resurrections
--- End code ---
in the last book - I really hate that plot device.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version