Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 1038704 times)

ZE GRAND MASTER

• Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You
    • View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »
Quote from: "Degolas"
I don't know. If it's monsters being eviscerated and generally maimed, the rating doesn't tend to be as high. Look at Lord of the Rings, for example.

Yeah, but say a game like God of War gets an 18 for unnecessary tearing of limbs of monsters complete with fountains of blood. I know Eragon doesn't have anything that violent in it, but still there is still one bit where a monster's head is cut clean open, splattering his brain all over the place. I somehow doubt that would be in the movie, though from the trailer, it looks as if it'll be at least a 12, with LOTR-style battle scenes.

While we're on the subject of the trailer, why does Eragon look about 25?! Though the guy they got to play Alex Rider was a couple of years older than the character was supposed to be and looked about 20, so maybe this guy is 17/18, but he doesn't look like it.

Code: [Select]
And what the fuck is Durza doing with a dragon? It seems they're going for a thing where magic comes from dragons, but the whole point about Shades is that their magic comes from an evil spirit that has possessed them. And if Durza isn't possessed by an evil spirit, that gets rid of his horribly-hard-to-kill thing. I could have just misinterpreted that bit of the trailer, but there clearly were two dragons and it did look like the other one was Saphira...

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2006, 06:07:49 AM »
In addition to my usual DC comics (been reading 52 a lot) , I read "Red Son" recently. It was an amazing read, I didn't expect an alternate reality Superman to be so interesting.

I lent my unread copy of "The Alchemist" to a close friend ages ago and she's been too busy to return it, so I bought another one and will be picking it up for my vacation in Langkawi.

My after examinations list of novels is growing. Does anyone have any good suggestions, fantasy or literature?
"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

ZE GRAND MASTER

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2006, 05:02:37 PM »
Um, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series, if you haven't read it already. I haven't read any fantasy books written in recent years that come close to being as good as Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. It's the only series i've read  in a long time that has no cliches whatsoever, so take that as you will.

Degolas

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2006, 09:27:27 AM »
Finished Gulliver's Travels. Really really great book! I thought that, it being one of the first novels ever written, the writing style would be really difficult, but not so!
I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2006, 11:03:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Ze, I'll put it on my list.

Finished "The Alchemist" while I was in Langkawi. It was a nice read, I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of 'lessons of life' in the book but I tried not to think too much about them so that I could enjoy Santiago's story. One of my favourite books that I've read this year.
"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

ZE GRAND MASTER

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »
Started reading the Doctor Who books again. I was surprised that they were very good - lucky that, seeing as I bought 6 of them in a row one time. The Deviant Strain seems to be nearing the end of the story, yet I'm over a hundred pages from the end. Going off The Clockwise Man, which is written by the same author, any number of plot twists could happen in that time.

Azrael

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2006, 02:26:48 PM »
I've been reading lot's of Asian Lit.  Particularly contemporary.  I am in an Asian Lit course but for the most part of branched from the books.  Murakami Haruki is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.  Thus far I've read Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore, After the Quake and The Elephant Vanishes by him.  I'm also starting Sputnik Sweetheart.  All are fantastic reads.  Especially if you can get into magical realism.  His books tend to add that element.  I've also recently read Our Twisted Hero by Yi Munyol.  Fantastic read and I'd suggest it but it is out of print and may be hard to track down.  Also read Yoshimoto Banana's Kitchen.  I can see what makes it so popular but I really didn't enjoy it all that much.  Well I guess I'm really torn on the book.  Then there is Soseki's Kokoro which is a wonderful book but oh so depressing.  I've also picked up 2 anthologies of Korean Short stories that I've begun to read.

ZE GRAND MASTER

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »
The only Asian Lit i've ever read is Ring by Koji Suzuki. Much like Frankenstein, it isn't Horror, rather it's Psychological Thriller. And it's very good, too - not the kind of book I usually read, but I liked it nontheless. I also own the sequel, Spiral, but haven't got around to reading it yet.

Vanguard

• I am America, and I hate JRPGs
    • View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2006, 11:43:13 AM »
I finally finished On the Road by Jack Kerouac. It was okay, nothing too spectacular. I'm now 50 pages into The Catcher and the Rye by J.D. Salinger, which I've never read before. It's pretty good thus far.

Also, on the side I'm reading two books of poetry: Burning in Water Drowning in Flame by Charles Bukowski, and Collected Poems 1947-1980 by Allen Ginsberg. Both are amazing, and I'm finding the beat poetry is better than the beat novel. Although I do have Post Office by Bukowksi, which I've heard is great.
Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.

Degolas

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2006, 10:56:18 AM »
I have a book of Bukowski poetry to read myself, haven't got around to it yet.

I never finished Joseph Andrews, but did succeed in reading The Fair Jilt, by Aphra Behn, because it was short :P

I'm now moving on to Robinson Crusoe, which I was supposed to have read weeks ago, but didn't realise.
I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2006, 05:32:51 PM »
Finished one Doctor Who book, started on another. After i've finished this one and the one after that, i'll have to make the impossible decision of what to read next. That'll either be Hidden Empire by Kevin J Anderson or Shade's Children by Garth Nix, methinks.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2006, 09:06:45 PM »
Today I found out about a Joss Whedon graphic novel which takes place in a futuristic Buffyverse. Picked it up at the comics shop and read it. Fantastic.

It's titled, Fray, for any Whedon/Buffy fans who might be interested in reading it.

Vanguard

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2006, 07:04:32 AM »
I finished The Catcher in the Rye. I'm now almost done The Port Huron Statement by Tom Hayden. He's speaking at my college this Saturday.

Vanguard

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2006, 09:32:59 AM »
I finished the Port Huron Statement and I'm now a few chapters into Brave New World by Alduous Huxley.

Degolas

• View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
I think that now, despite still having to read random bits from books for quotes, and a lot of poetry, which is cool, I can finally read something of my own choosing! I plan to resume Dracula!
I had a stupid dream