Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 09:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329485 Posts in 13499 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 268816 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: November 25, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »

Fuck you George RR Martin. You write long books full of characters I don't care about. I have 80 pages left in a Game of Thrones, and like every chapter is a Sansa, Catelyn, or Bran chapter.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: November 25, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »

HEy I'm not a Sansa fan either but I do like to read whats going on around her, esp book 2-3.  Cat's chapters make more sense post book one, as for Bran, I'd say book 3.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1067 on: November 26, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »

Sansa is a bit of an insufferable airhead at first, but in the later books she develops as a character and I came to respect her.  Catelyn too can be a bit much at first, but you need that to really "get" her in the later books.  It's the ol' "someday you'll thank me!" thing.  As for Bran, well, Bran f'n rocks!  His chapters were often my favorites. 

Then again, there are people who find the Arya chapters insufferable and annoying, and I think they're lackwits because Arya's one of the best characters.  Whatever creams their Twinkies I guess...

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »

If anyone here likes Stephen King, then you should read the short story "N." in the "Just after sunset" book.  His best short story since the "Skeleton Crew" collection.  It's very unsettling.  I've kind of ebecome jaded with some of his recent work but it's really good.  I really love his work but sometimes I feel he can't finish his books as well as he starts.  The Dark Tower series took a good chunk of my life to read but the ending was a punch in the face in many ways. To be fair though, I don't know that any ending would have satisfied me.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »

My copy of Just After Sunset came with a DVD of the animatic they made of that story.  It's pretty decent too.  I'm sure it's available online, but I'm too lazy to Google it. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: November 29, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »

Reading A Feast for Crows makes me wonder if George RR Martin was clairvoyant about the state of the world.  That book is so relevant now it's not even funny.

Code:
I mean, reading the Cersei chapters about the Iron Bank/King's Landing's debts beggaring the realm, and the sparrows making tent cities outside the sept of Baelor make me think of the economic crisis and the occupy movements. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: December 03, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »

You should get them to read Maniac Magee too!

What a blast from the past.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1072 on: December 05, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

Maniac Magee is one of the few stories I can think of where the main character could potentially be classified as a "Mary Sue" but never falls into all the Mary Sue traps we all complain about.  Good book, but not in our library, sadly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:02:03 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: December 06, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »

So I really havent posted about what I've been reading lately.

Right now, I dont have anything good on my plate.

I just read through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, probably going to start the next book in the Steig Larsson series, but may read something before that.
Previously I knocked out the Mistborn Trilogy (and again, Brandon Sanderson is pretty much awesome), and I almost want to reread The Way of Kings, because it was so "NOT Fantasy", but was such epic fantasy.

I dunno, I want some fantasy, but at the same time I want some sci-fi. I saw In Her Name on the Kindle store recently and snagged it. It SOUNDS good, anyone read/heard of it? I might give it a go.

Shit, Ender's Game even sounds good.

As you can probably tell, I'm super ADD when it comes to books right now.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: December 06, 2011, 02:08:53 AM »

I am reading Stieg's awesome Millennium series, and I'm on Book#2: The Girls who Played with Fire.

I like to get dramatic and go FAYAH!!!

My mum got me into it, and I LOVE this series so far.  I'm really happy I could read it before the movie came out too (proper).  I love a bit of mystery and intrigue.  And I love stuff like this where the good guys still have this sort of dark-side to them.  I'm wrapping up this book and will hopefully read the third over holidays.  I do recommend it, even though, I know, it's all part of "whats big right now".

Also picked up The Hunger Games since I heard good stuff here about it (and it was at my school's book shop for only 10 bux; what's ten dollars when you're at a school bookstore about to pay $400?).
As soon as I got over the pretty stupid name the main chick has (Katnisssssss-suh!), I am enjoying it so far.  It's a nice light read, but with interesting characters and an interesting world.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: December 06, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »

Don't watch the trailer for the movie, whatever you do. Everyone looks too pretty and everything looks too shiny.

Finish the book. Katnissssss rulesssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: December 06, 2011, 02:21:38 AM »

Don't watch the trailer for the movie, whatever you do. Everyone looks too pretty and everything looks too shiny.

Finish the book. Katnissssss rulesssss

The movie buff in me made me watch the trailer... I thought the book was already a sort of older teen light fiction novel (as in, it's pretty short); but the trailer seem to hit a sort of pop and glamour for a tween crowd.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: December 06, 2011, 04:44:51 AM »

I am reading Stieg's awesome Millennium series, and I'm on Book#2: The Girls who Played with Fire.

I like to get dramatic and go FAYAH!!!

My mum got me into it, and I LOVE this series so far.  I'm really happy I could read it before the movie came out too (proper).  I love a bit of mystery and intrigue.  And I love stuff like this where the good guys still have this sort of dark-side to them.  I'm wrapping up this book and will hopefully read the third over holidays.  I do recommend it, even though, I know, it's all part of "whats big right now".

But the movie already came out 2 years ago! Damn Americans having to remake foreign films 'cause people are too damn lazy to read some god damn subtitles.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: December 06, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »

Just finished three of Chuck Palahniuk's books Fight Club, Survivor, and Invisible Monsters.  I need to take a break from nihilistic books since my love life have become an emotional rollercoaster :-/
I'm currently reading the 2011 Hugo winner for best novel Blackout/All Clear, good book so far.   

Comics wise I'm rereading Shade the Changing Man, and will soon reread Animal Man(Grant Morrison's run).  Speaking of which DC comics recently rebooted all their comics, one of which is Animal Man from what I'm told this could be 'the next Sandman' I'll have to form an opinion when I read the first TPB.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 07, 2011, 01:19:49 AM »

Yeah, the new Animal Man got some good buzz.  Hopefully it keeps that promise up.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: