Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 01:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338591 Posts in 13859 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 298613 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »

But the movie already came out 2 years ago! Damn Americans having to remake foreign films 'cause people are too damn lazy to read some god damn subtitles.
My thoughts exactly. I saw the movie awhile ago, and it was perfectly fine the way it was. No remakes necessary.

I'm just about to finish up Sandman Vol. 2, and am looking for something good to read. Nan is trying to get me to read the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. The premise kinda puts me off(different colored jewels represent the owners power/status, etc? Eh.)
If I don't read that I'll start up some other fantasy/sci-fi series. Not sure which, but I'm itchin' for something epic and awesome.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 07, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »

Have you read the Runelords series?  They're from David Farland, and they have a feel all their own.  They're fantasy books (duh), and in their world, one person can give an "endowment" of one of their aspects to another person.  For example, if a blacksmith gives an endowment of strength to his lord, the lord will be as strong as two guys, but the blacksmith will become too weak to do just about anything.  If one of them dies, the endowment is undone, so the people who receive the endowments make sure to take good care of those who give them, and if I remember correctly, it's something that has to be freely given - you can't force people to endow you with things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:18:20 AM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »

Yes, I read the first book quite awhile back. It took some time to get into it, because the premise was just so bizarre, but I ended up liking it. I never pursued any sequels.
I have a weird "thing" against these rune/jewel type systems. I know they're trying to be original and creative, but it's almost TOO far from reality for me. I love fantasy/sci-fi, but it has to be somewhat based in reality for me to really engage with the characters and story. Otherwise, I spend all my time thinking about how ridiculous it all is.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »

pretty cool chart that sums up all the "magic" used in fantasy / fiction

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2011/12/rulesofmagic2.jpg
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »

I'm planning to finish A Feast for Crows this weekend.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:59:00 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »

Finished A Game of Thrones. I hated it. I won't be reading any others.

I finished Guillame Apollinaire's Alcools too. Not as good as Calligrammes, but a few of the poems have the kind of resonating force that made him so important i the evolution of French poetry.

Today I sat down and read WCWs Spring and All. I've only read anthologized poems before so this was a real treat. It has some of the fire one finds in the Surrealist Manifestos or a Henry Miller book, in addition to poems like "The Red Wheelbarrow."

The +1 bought be Bolano's 2666, which I will be tackling over vacation.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:52:24 PM by Vanguard » Logged

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:14 AM »

But the movie already came out 2 years ago! Damn Americans having to remake foreign films 'cause people are too damn lazy to read some god damn subtitles.
My thoughts exactly. I saw the movie awhile ago, and it was perfectly fine the way it was. No remakes necessary.

I'm keeping in mind the talent going into the "remake".
Complain if, say, Michael Bay was doing the remake, and Kristin Stewart was playing Lisbeth... but we got David Fincher and Daniel Craig on this... if you say that's a bad match for the type of stuff read in these books, and to judge without even seein the flick, I will find and give you a slight slap for being unreasonable.  Of course, this is coming from a girl who preferred The Departed over Infernal Affairs (both offered something good in their own way, I just found one more enjoyable than the other).  And if TV-karma existed, then the US version of The Office wouldn't have ran passed a season.

At the very least, film wise, it'll be great having two interpretations to the material.  Don't complain about "another flick", celebrate "more material" from a great source.

EDIT: And reaallly, guys???  The Swed flick wasn't without flaws??  Mmmoookay.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:31:26 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: December 13, 2011, 02:41:12 AM »

Started on "Revolutionary Road". It isn't the most cheerful writing but I'm liking it.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:12 PM »

I finished reading A Feast for Crows over the weekend and I absolutely LOVED it!  I can understand why most fans/readers would say it's weak and/or terrible, but I loved it for what it was.  I loved that it was more about worldbuilding and introspection. 

I plan to start A Dance With Dragons soon.  I'm just taking a short break and trying to read as much of an old Japanese DBZ manga I procured at a garage sale years ago.  I can still read all my hiragana and most of my katakana, but I've forgotten a lot of kanji. 

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: December 13, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »

I'm keeping in mind the talent going into the "remake".
Complain if, say, Michael Bay was doing the remake, and Kristin Stewart was playing Lisbeth... but we got David Fincher and Daniel Craig on this... if you say that's a bad match for the type of stuff read in these books, and to judge without even seein the flick, I will find and give you a slight slap for being unreasonable.  Of course, this is coming from a girl who preferred The Departed over Infernal Affairs (both offered something good in their own way, I just found one more enjoyable than the other).  And if TV-karma existed, then the US version of The Office wouldn't have ran passed a season.

At the very least, film wise, it'll be great having two interpretations to the material.  Don't complain about "another flick", celebrate "more material" from a great source.

EDIT: And reaallly, guys???  The Swed flick wasn't without flaws??  Mmmoookay.

The Swedes make baller movies. Also, depressing ones.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1090 on: December 13, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »

I was on a Swedish kick last year, watching all the classics. I think the last ones I watched was Let the Right One In and Insomnia.

Insomnia was great. I liked how the guy had the balls to start fingerbaning that highschooler in the car.

LTROI is an amazing movie. Best vamp movie IMHO
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: December 16, 2011, 04:51:11 AM »

Still reading Blackout/All Clear, its a big book so it will take a lot of time.  Comics wise I'm reading Habibi and loving every page.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 16, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »

I'm on a David Eddings kick, which happens for me every so often.  This time, though, instead of re-reading the Belgarion books, I went with both of the Sparhawk trilogies.  It's been a really long time since I read them, and I'm not sure if I've ever read the second trilogy or not.  I don't like them as well as the others, but I like them.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1093 on: December 19, 2011, 04:14:59 AM »

I'm currently reading Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey. I expect it to be pretty good, as I enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, but as always, they start slow and keep progressively building. Like I said, I dig em, but they're not for everyone. After that, I'll probably get into the metric fuckton of backlogged Star Wars books I've been avoiding.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »

I'm digging A Dance With Dragons.  I love how it's taking me all over the world, especially to places I wondered about, but never visited.  Sweet book!

Once I'm done with that, I'll probably read the books a couple of RPGFanners have out (Sakuri by ZeronHitaro and Broadcast by Degolas).  I like to support creative types I have some kind of personal tie to. 

I also need to start the Lunara series by Wyatt Davenport.  Indie sci-fi stuff. 

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: