Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 97 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 231848 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:15 AM »

Just started reading China Mieville's latest book, "Railsea". Such an odd book, about a sea of train tracks, and people sail this "ocean" on trains hunting giant moles.  Classic Mieville :P

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: May 17, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »

I just got to Part II of The Hunger Games. Right after they announce
Code:
that 2 people from the same district can win without having to kill each other. It appears to be an obvious setup for things to come, but I'm not so sure
The book has gotten progressively better, and I'm pretty much hooked at this point. I just need to find the time to sit down and plow through it.

Maybe you'll be surprised.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1217 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »

^if you like dystopian future novels then Hunger Games #3 will tickle you pink. While it does it's own thing and I really liked it, it's a pretty good homage to 1984 in ways.

Ok so I'm about 1/2way through Clash of Kings and I just read:
The part where Renly was killed by Shadow Link. I'm not sure if I like this direction since so far (yeah I'm only on the 2nd book) this series has been about the political side of things and that's what I was expecting. Yeah sure the one chick hatched some dragons but I didn't think they'd introduce some sort of magic in this way. Please no spoilers that explain what happened!

Code:
i think that by the end of the first book it sorta implies magic is coming back slowly and i think this the first hard evidence aside from the dragons hatching. i'm not sure when or who says it (so i'm sorry if this is too spoilery) but someone says that when the dragons are reborn magic comes with them whether that is truth or opinion of a character they sorta leave it for you to decide.

I think that we the readers know as much about magic as the inhabitants of the book.  It's something of a mystery (because it's been absent/suppressed from the world for so long) so when we're scratching our heads about magic, so are the people in the book (many of whom fear the arcane that they don't know about.)  Maybe it's like how the Mayan calendar says that in X year magic will somehow return to Earth, but it's all speculation how magic truly works in that world. 

In other words, Song of Ice and Fire doesn't have a fleshed out magic system like, say, Mistborn. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1218 on: May 18, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

I can dig that. I was more or less just surprised.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1219 on: May 19, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »

...as were/are the denizens of the books:P 

But I too am curious as to what Martin has in mind to flesh out how magic fits in the world, especially since you have "natural resource" type magic (what with all the creatures like wights and others) and more arcane yet methodical magic like what the Red Priests and Priestesses do. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: May 22, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

Just started reading China Mieville's latest book, "Railsea". Such an odd book, about a sea of train tracks, and people sail this "ocean" on trains hunting giant moles.  Classic Mieville :P

He is on the list of people to read on my quest to dig fantasy books.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: May 22, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »

I've only read Perdido Street Station by him, but I do recommend. It's not as deep as it can appear, but the imagination is fantastic.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: May 22, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »

Started reading Babel 17.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:27 PM »

Okey dokey.  Finished the Mistborn trilogy.  Finished The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene - it's a primer on string theory.  Way more serious than what I usually read.  It was both interesting and good for me. :)

Then I read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  I had just finished listening to a series of podcasts on the US civil war, which helped me recognize some of the actual people and events.  It was a good book - I didn't realize it was written in a documentary style.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 23, 2012, 02:19:19 AM »

Finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo at some point last week and started The Girl Who Played With Fire. Or well, I'm halfway through now. It got interesting a lot quicker than the first book did.

Code:
At least that fuck Bjurman is dead. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1225 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »

GoT #2

Just got to the part where Theon is searching for Bran... In the following 2 chapters Tyrion and Cat find out they were killed :(

I hope that's not the case
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:03:42 AM by Tooker » Logged

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: May 23, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »

Finished The Hunger Games. The short of it is that I liked it a bit more than I expected. Great protagonist surrounded by mostly bland side characters. A quick and intense read. The ending was a bit too predictable, though. The book definitely lacked in back story. I wonder if book 2 explains things any better. I'll most likely read it after a few others in between.
Back to The Sandman for now.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1227 on: May 24, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »

GoT #2

Just got to the part where Theon is searching for Bran... In the following 2 chapters Tyrion and Cat find out they were killed :(

I hope that's not the case

that part bummed me out.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

Finished The Invisible Gorilla: http://www.amazon.com/The-Invisible-Gorilla-Intuitions-ebook/dp/B0036S4EYQ/ref=kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »

The thing I don't get about GoT is if they're constantly raping and killing all the peasants A) how can there be any people left B) why don't they rebel.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 97 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: