Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 1054544 times)

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #1830 on: August 10, 2016, 12:53:20 AM »
OK, whew - that makes me feel better.  Would have been too much coincidence otherwise. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: August 12, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »
I finished Calamity on the move. I thought it was good, but the climax and ending seemed kind of rushed. While I liked some of the plot twists, it didn't have any real answers as to what was going on in the world itself.

Code: [Select]
Like, where did Calamity exactly come from and why?
I heard his next YA series may have the ties to the Reckoners, so maybe there will be some answers there.

Anyway, I figured I had enough time before school starts to read Game of Thrones. So, that's what I'm reading now. Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1832 on: September 03, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »
About 500 pages into Words of Radiance and keeping Guardians Inc.: The Cypher as my "palate cleanser" book. 

The former is... epic and the latter is a fun read, though there were a few little things that made me suspend my disbelief (like talking about "recess" during a high school day.  I can understand some high schools have a common "lunch 'n learn" free period mid-day, but recess?) 

A part of me is thinking of throwing in the towel on Words of Radiance.  The book is excellent and I love me some epic fantasy, but I haven't read it in weeks and have no motivation to.  I realize that I don't have the time or mental energy to dedicate to that level of epic fantasy.  I'm more motivated to read my "palate cleanser" book (Guardians Inc.: The Cypher by Julian Rosado-Machain) because I realize those are the type of books I have the time, motivation, and mental energy to commit to.  I think the Alloy of Law Mistborn books may be more my pace, and that's cool because Sanderson. 

A part of me feels guilty about wanting to abandon Words of Radiance, but I think about my aunt who's a retired geriatric psychiatrist (who still does some consulting at her hospital).  Because her job was so mentally taxing and draining, she never wanted to read anything too cerebral.  She just wanted to let her brain relax.  I don't claim that my job is as mentally taxing as that, but working in special education is psychologically draining in its own right.  It's like, if I'm already sore from weightlifting that day, the last thing I want to do is exercise that night. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: September 04, 2016, 01:32:58 PM »
I read The Strain, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  It was fine, but when I realized it was planned as a trilogy, I knew I wouldn't actually finish that trilogy.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 07, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »
Started a non-fic book club on goodreads (that also meets in person around these parts).  The first book is A War Like No Other by Victor Davis Hanson. If anyone is actually interested message me (doubtful), it's about the Peloponnesian War.

Apparently it's tough to get people jazzed about reading history.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 25, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »
So i finished Xenocide and that book started out great but just ended up being garbage at the end. Too much inner monologue and characters would endlessly repeat themselves. They would have pages of them "thinking" about something followed by goofy arguments between all the main characters and this would repeat over and over. It is maddening.

Started Star Wars Aftermath, but that seemed awful so I stopped.

Now Im about halfway through Frankenstein and that is excellent. It really is a stark contrast to all the bad Frankenstein monster movies Ive been exposed to over the years

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »
I finished Game of Thrones a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but not for the story, which I found to be pretty mediocre. What gave me the most enjoyment is actually the world GRRM has created. It's a fascinating world and I kept wanting to see more and more of it. I love the settings, the various peoples, and etc. I also found the characters interesting, if not entirely lovable. And even though I didn't care either way for the story, GRRM is pretty deft at handling multiple viewpoints and still progressing the story.

After finishing I read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. It was blissfully short, and had some humor despite Steinbeck's usual seriousness. I really enjoyed it, especially after GoT. It was kind of a palate cleanser, as Dincrest calls them.

Now I'm reading Clash of Kings, but grad school is in full swing now and my time is limited, so it will probably take a while for me to get through it.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 30, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »
Making my way through the late Vincent Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy".  It's a hell of read.  Easily the most painstaking survey of every major conspiracy theory I've ever looked at (it's 1600 pages).  He more or less completely eviscerates all of them.  I've never been more convinced that Oswald acted alone.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: October 01, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »
Pretty cool.
—Kurt Vonnegut

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: October 13, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Currently reading Damascus Nights.
The last two months when I was commuting from Jacksonville to Orlando I've finished some audio books. Hope Was Here, I am Legend, Precious and Roots.
I've got to say Roots was just an incredible story.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: October 14, 2016, 01:32:43 AM »
How did you like I am Legend?  It's one that I feel like more people should read.  The ending is pretty great, and I love that it addresses at least that author's opinions on what would happen if a zombie were Jewish in life.

(Random side note, I recently had a connection made for me - one of the oft-forgotten legends about vampires is that you can escape from them by throwing rice at them or something similar, because they are unable to resist stopping to count it.  That is at least partly why The Count on Sesame Street is a vampire - or why him being a vampire is super clever.)

Roots... that's one that I have to admit I'm too much of a coward to read.  I don't think I could take it.
—Kurt Vonnegut

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: October 14, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
How did you like I am Legend?  It's one that I feel like more people should read.  The ending is pretty great, and I love that it addresses at least that author's opinions on what would happen if a zombie were Jewish in life.

(Random side note, I recently had a connection made for me - one of the oft-forgotten legends about vampires is that you can escape from them by throwing rice at them or something similar, because they are unable to resist stopping to count it.  That is at least partly why The Count on Sesame Street is a vampire - or why him being a vampire is super clever.)

Roots... that's one that I have to admit I'm too much of a coward to read.  I don't think I could take it.

I'm not sure how I feel about I am Legend. I originally was reading that book and then went to the audiobook when I was driving. I thought most of it was kind of dry. Got a little interesting when that woman came around. And I also have no idea if those little stories in the back of the book are part of the story or not. If it is I haven't finished it then.

Also about Roots, is it the graphics details that scares you? Cuz I have to admit he's not graphic at all. I thought it was more graphic in 12 Years a Salve and Precious. Precious was really graphic and disturbing. What hooked me to Roots I think was his writing. Its really grips you. And if you've seen Roots (the original) its very much like that.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
Also this year I finished Cry, the Beloved Country. The movie is also on Netflix and follows the book really well.

thetrueelec

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: October 15, 2016, 07:36:39 AM »
Reading the Demon Road trilogy by Derek Landy. Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant series is my favourite series so I had high hopes going in, then I realised it was a horror and lowered them because I'm not a huge horror fan. About halfway through the second book and I'm liking it. I'm preferring the second book so far but that's mainly because it has introduced a bunch of characters that make jokes, and well that's what I liked about Skulduggery. It's also much more about building a sense of dread for its horror whereas the first book was about scary monsters trying to kill people. So far the only action scene was the opening of the book and I'm really not looking forward to the next one will show up.

I should have the series finished shortly because the new Jack West Jr. series comes out in a couple days and once that comes out I won't have time for anything else.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »
Reading the 2nd of the legend of drizzt omnibus books. It is the first of the books written by publication date. Just excellent popcorn fantasy. It is decently written as oppos d to that new star wars book I tried. Good page turning haps that makes me feel like im in a d&d campaign