Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 1072998 times)

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #465 on: November 04, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
I'm about 100 or so pages into Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.  Good book; I definitely want to read the whole trilogy.  The premise is not that uncommon, but it's executed in a fresh way.  Hopefully the upcoming movie for it will be good. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 04, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »
I'm listening to a free audio book that I got from librivox.org right now - it's an old sci-fi book called The Time Traders, by Andre Norton.  I think I've pimped librivox here before, so I won't again.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 05, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
I'm rereading Pet Sematary right now and after that i'm going to read The Shining again. It's been a long time.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
I rented The Count of Monte Cristo from the local library. I loved the anime adaptation (Gankutsuou), so I wanted to read the source material without all the sci-fi elements.

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #469 on: November 19, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »
Reading Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, then gonna re-read The Holy Science by Sri Yukteshwar. Once that's done, I might just get around to actually reading all of Scott Pilgrim. We shall see.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #470 on: November 19, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »
I just finished Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.  Good book, though the second half was far mor eexciting than the first half.  I read the first couple of chapters in the sequel Inkspell and so far, it's really good.  It seems like it will be darker and twistier. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 19, 2008, 07:11:12 PM »
I got through 50 pages and I think I'm done. I just don't have the patience to read anymore. I'll just blame it on there being better forms on entertainment out there.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 20, 2008, 01:40:02 AM »
Does Shakespeare still go on to write masterpieces in that reality? o_O

Just started reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. So far so good

How did you end up enjoying Snow Crash?

I should go back and re-read it. I went through a big Stephenson/William Gibson/Bruce Sterling phase around 2000/2001.

I remember Snow Crash being amazing.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 21, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
I never ended up finishing it, actually. Half-term exams came in the way and... well, life, so my non-school-related books have been put aside.

Was really enjoying it though. :-(

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #474 on: November 21, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
SNow Crash was a pretty exciting read.  YT was my favorite character throughout the whole thing.  However,
Code: [Select]
I still don't think Neal Stephenson's that great at writing endings.  The ending to Snow Crash seemed a bit muddled to me and the whole resolution regarding YT's skateboard was wacky at best.
I'm still reading Inkspell.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:16 PM »
I'm still reading Inkspell.

I have Inkheart (and I think I also have Inkspell), but haven't even picked it up off the stack.  I saw a trailer today for the movie and thought "I bet that's a good book."  I'm going to have to move it up to the top of the stack. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 11, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
I just finished up "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire.  It was good until the end, when he awkwardly shoehorned in the protagonists from "The Wizard of Oz".  I got the exact same feeling from one of Maguire's other books, "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister".  You're rolling along until the last few chapters and then it's all "LOL here's the story/fable/fairy tale I based this off of =^.^=".  Maguire would be way better off creating his very own stories instead of updating old tales, because he's a good writer.

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 11, 2008, 12:42:42 PM »
Had to read Conrad's "Typhoon" for class. I didn't find it as entrancing as Heart of Darkness but it was a good read. Not many of the kids in my class liked it though-- the text felt very dense in places.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

Azrael

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 11, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
I decided to read The Chronicles of Narnia in chronological order.  Halfway through The Magician's Nephew, and I have to say I am loving it.  I definitely didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger and I am glad I've decided to give it a second chance because it has entranced me.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #479 on: December 30, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »
I finished reading Inkspell.  Good book, but it was slow going.  I still haven't been able to find Inkdeath in bookstores, even though it's been out since October.