Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338007 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 297484 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2006, 03:54:32 PM »

Finished with Going Postal today. I really liked it. Compared with Pratchett's early Discworld novels, the new books are simply amazing (well, they're amazing anyway). I love how he uses the Discworld to shine light on problems and injusticies that exist in our real world. Highy recommended for everyone who likes humoristic fantasy.

Now on to Vägen till klockrike.
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2006, 11:49:31 PM »

Re-reading through the original six volumes of Dune by Frank Herbert. At this moment, I'm just about finished with Heretics of Dune and only have Chapterhouse Dune to go. I always feel I pick up on something new every time I read, making me wonder 'Why didn't I noticed that before?'. This series has to be one of my top favorites.

With the arrival of these newer books compiled by his son Brian and Kevin Anderson, I feel rather divided on what my opinion should be. It's still within the Dune mythos so that reels me in, but it doesn't flow the same way. Not that is a bad thing, but I don't feel compelled to re-read through the two trilogies they have put out together. Now they are attempting to pick up where Chapterhouse left off based off what information they found into two new books called 'Hunters of Dune' and 'Sandworms of Dune'. I guess they have to squeeze as much melange out of it as they can. For now, I'll remain highly skeptical until I see their published result.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2006, 07:01:50 PM »

Bump!

I've read quite a few things. For/at work I've read Imperium by Robert Harris several times, The Afghan by Fredrick Forsyth, and almost all of the Old Testament, which has pushed over the line into agnosticism.

For pleasure:

I finished 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was good, certainly clears up a lot of the mystery of the film...which makes it not as good in my opinion.

Also read The Little Price, which was a great little children's book, which has a lot of depth to it which makes it incredibly appropriate for adults as well.

I am now reading another children's book called Private Peaceful, which deals, among other things, with WWI. I'm interested to see how it's dealt with in a children's book.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2006, 09:42:37 PM »

I finished Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky about two weeks ago. I then moved on to Howard Zinn on War and Other Means to Ends, which I finished today. I then immediately moved on to Radical Chic and Mau Mau-ing the Flak-Catchers by Tom Wolfe. I'm only 30 pages in (which is a lot considering the book is only about 120 pages total), and it's really good. I'm taking a small break on the political reading and going through some of my other books before delving back into it. Next up is Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cucoo's Nest.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Chocobowie

thewild7th
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2006, 11:27:42 PM »

I'm currently working on The Final Solution by Michael Chabon, the complete works of Rimbaud, How Are We Hungry by Dave Eggers, Flight, which is a comic collection by a whole bunch of people, and I'm rereading His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
I'm also going to suggest picking up CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders.  Seriously one of the best books I've ever read.  Really dark short stories, reminds me a little of Chuck Palahniuk but actually better (in my opinion).
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »

You read too much hoity-toity civilized shit. :P

I'm continuing to read The Angel's Command. <3 Brian Jacques.

Also finished The Alphabet of Manliness a while ago.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2006, 05:24:24 PM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"
You read too much hoity-toity civilized shit. :P

I'm continuing to read The Angel's Command. <3 Brian Jacques.

Also finished The Alphabet of Manliness a while ago.

I think I've met Brian Jacques. Is he the author of the Redwall books, with the mice and all that jazz? My Dad works with him quite a lot, and I think I met him a while back, and got some free stuff.

I had a stupid dream

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »

Yeah, that's the guy Degolas.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2006, 06:32:34 AM »

Thought so. I like him, because he gave me free stuff :P I don't think I've actually read any of the books though.

I got a copy of 'The Best Loved Poems of John Betjeman,' haven't read any yet.

I had a stupid dream

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »

Bought a few books today, with the aim of lasting me until I get my reading list. They're all children's books, because that's what I want to do dammit.

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig

And two picture books, because I also want to do those! And they're pretty awesome.

Marvin Wanted MORE! by Joseph Theobald
The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr (I had to get this when I saw it, it's such a classic.)

I had a stupid dream

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »

I finished Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flak-Catchers. It was a pretty good read. I did not move on to One Flew Over the Cuccoo's Nest though, instead I decided on Johnny Got His Gun. I'm about 50 pages in and it's really, really good. The lack of commas might bother some, but they're easy enough to insert yourself.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2006, 05:02:18 PM »

I finished Private Peaceful. Really good book, rather sad. Had what felt like a rushed ending, but perhaps being a children's book it didn't want to dwell on what happened for too long.

Not 100% what's next, I'll see what I pick up from the pile when I go to bed!

I had a stupid dream

Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »

Got The Dark Towers 1-4 by Stephen King a couple days ago and I'm almost done with book 1. Damn good stuff.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »

I finished Johnny Got His Gun, which is an amazing book. Despite Mr. Dalton's lack of comma usage, he writes very well. In fact, I think it actually complimented the book.

I'm now on Part 3 of One Flew Over the Cockoos Nest, and it is shaping up to be one of my favorite books ever. Ken Kesey is a master of analogy.

After this, it's On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:19 AM »

Picked up American Gods, this time bought rather than borrowed from the library. I'll read either this or Heretics of Dune sometime, and probably one of the short stories in Smokes and Mirrors - disappointed in myself on holding off on that, since part of the reason I got it was so I'd have some good short stories to quickly blow through when I feel like it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: