Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330163 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 273913 times)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2006, 05:58:57 AM »

Recently I've read "Night of Madness" by Lawrence Watt-Evan, a book that I got as a belated birthday present last month. It was your standard fantasy novel; weird names, enigmatic plot and a pinch of humour. Light reading.

I also read "Twilight" by Stepheni Meyer following my friend's recommendation. It's a teen novel, I think. The description fits:- modern, vampiric love-ish story. The way it was written however, didn't turn me off as most teen novels do. I kind of enjoyed it. The writer made it all feel believable in her context.

Next on my reading list, if I'm allowed to pick up another book (my mum thinks that my reading habits are causing my migraines), is "Remains of the Day" or "Last of the Wilds". Not sure.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2006, 10:47:54 AM »

I've been reading 'Mortal Engines' by Philip...someone.

It's really good. The concept is both original, and just a fantastic idea, and the plot, while not so quite original, has so many great characters and settings that it doesn't matter.

Also, today at work we finished the Old Testament, finally.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2006, 12:14:41 PM »

Philip K. Dick?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2006, 01:44:57 PM »

No, it's not a K.Dick, it's a recent children's book. I could find out very easily, I'm just far too lazy :P

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2006, 05:16:52 PM »

Reeve! Is a British guy, as can be deduced by the plotline. While the plot may seem unoriginal, it and its 3 sequels (Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain), are basically Post-Apocalyptic War Satire (mainly ID and ADP). Deg, you really should read the other 3 - it gets much better as it goes along. If anyone else finds copies of the books, theyre well worth a look.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2006, 07:19:26 PM »

Now that you mention it, I'm 100 pages into the sequel, Predator's Gold! Enjoying quite a lot so far. I won't be able to read the other two for a while though, I have my uni reading list to get through, which is pretty hefty.

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2006, 04:17:42 PM »

Meh. Started on Eragon the other day. But then this was interrupted by SFX's Pulp Idol thing free with issue 148, amongst other things. Anyway, I haven't read enough to decide whether its a good book. That will change soon.
Metalhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2006, 06:41:13 PM »

((Damn - my reading list feels a lot lighter than most of the books mentioned above))

I find I prefer the "serial" novels best. I find I loose interest around 350 pages. I stick mainly to the Star Wars series, the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.

I finished up the Everis Cale trilogy by Paul Kemp a couple of months ago. I found that to be a great read. I am just starting the new Star Wars novel arc 'Legacy of the Force" with 'Betrayal".

I have the first book in the Dragonlance 'The Lost Chronicles' trilogy on my desk to read also...

As for some of the books referenced above, 'A Game of Thrones' was fantastic (I have not read any farther into the series). I also liked 'Neverwhere' but had a hard time with American Gods (I gave up 150 pages in...)
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2006, 07:43:37 PM »

I'm slowly chipping away at my university reading list.

I've read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I quite enjoyed it, despite knowing the twist and everything.

Currently reading:
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes by Billy Collins

Uni starts in 2 days, and I have so many damn books to read. Wuthering Heights takes so long to get through!

I had a stupid dream

Mr. Dark

Sephiroth8891
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2006, 08:33:37 PM »

In the middle of Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind.

The Sword of Truth series has become an addiction for me.

Some things are better left unsaid.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2006, 09:12:54 PM »

I have recently been reading the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot. I am up to the last book, but too cheap to buy the hardcover =P

The books have a lot of characters and jump around in the perspective. I enjoy it.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2006, 11:56:40 PM »

Picked up Nighwatch which i am totally stoked about. Oh and Crossroads of the Twighlight (Wheel of Time book 10) for $5.98 at Barnes and Noble....hardcover. Gotta love the bargain book section!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2006, 09:14:58 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Picked up Nighwatch which i am totally stoked about. Oh and Crossroads of the Twighlight (Wheel of Time book 10) for $5.98 at Barnes and Noble....hardcover. Gotta love the bargain book section!

Fuck the Wheel of Time. Robert Jordan can suck my balls.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2006, 11:51:17 AM »

Oh you'll have to wait for him to do me first....I'm in the camp that is still on board with the series only because I want to fucking finish it.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2006, 01:37:05 PM »

I couldn't stand his writing style. I got through the second book and just said fuck it. Anyone who takes 8 pages to describe someones belt buckle needs to kiss my ass.

"It was shiny like the sun. The shine was...blah blah blah" I like detail, but I don't like wanting to drink drain-o because of it.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: