Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:40:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319724 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 234327 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 21, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »

Read through After Dark by Haruki Murakami and The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe, though technically I finished the first novella in the latter then read through After Dark quickly before reading the other two novellas. Both were pretty good, I like how the novellas connected and will probably reread it sooner or later just to better grasp the story, while After Dark was a nice, fast read even though it wasn't on the same level as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

I'll be moving on to Fight Club then The Book of the Short Sun after this. I'll also see if I can easily pick back up Game of Thrones from where I left off last.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 22, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »

Finally made it to the last book in the Ramayana (well, the version I have, anyway).  About 700 pages to go, but there's already been a "holy crap" moment or two.  Good stuff.  Fantasy readers might want to check it out - look for the books by Ashok Banker, because there have probably been hundreds of versions written over the years.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: June 24, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »

I've been reading The Communist Manifesto and I gotta say I think Marx and Engels were on to something...heh.  I have also been reading Neurosis and Human Growth by Karen Horney which is a pretty fascinating psych book.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: June 27, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »

I've been reading the Star Wars book series, The New Jedi Order, about the Yuuzhan Vong war; it takes place several years after Return of the Jedi. Well, I'm reading the book, Star by Star right now. It's getting interesting.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:01:21 PM by Miho » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »

Most of the way through Fight Club. I wound up getting myself outright spoiled on THE twist after I bought it but long before I started reading, but it does give an interesting perspective. I just wish I could've saved that perspective for a re-read or when I watch the movie.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: June 30, 2009, 02:55:38 AM »

Dr Denis Leary - Why We All Suck.  Wickedly funny book and I pretty much agree with everything he wrote.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: June 30, 2009, 07:17:02 AM »

Just finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter.  This is a first, but I like the Showtime series better than the book o.o;  Now on to Making Money....
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 30, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »

Finished the Ramayana last night at about 1:30.  Great stuff.  The same author (Ashok Banker) is tackling the Mahabharata next, but he says he's up to 18 volumes of 800 pages, and it sounds like he's not done yet.  That's a lot of reading, even for someone who loves books.

—Kurt Vonnegut
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: July 23, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »

Bought Munchkin Cthulhu, which inspired me to read more Lovecraft. I just finished "The Music of Erich Zann" and am now starting "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." I'm thinking about starting a drinking game where you take a drink every time Lovecraft refers to something as either unspeakable or indescribable.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 24, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »

Better stick with something like light beer - you'll get alcohol poisoning if you don't! ;)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 26, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »

Read through On Blue's Waters by Gene Wolfe and 69 by Ryu Murakami. I liked both, it's nice to finally get around to reading the Book of the Short Sun series, and I enjoyed 69 on the same level as I did On the Road, finding both to be an interesting glimpse into a different era.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:25:12 AM by Eusis » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2009, 02:12:19 AM »

I'm taking a break from the Sword of Truth series for a while and getting back into Stephen King's "Duma Key'. It's pretty slow going but it will most likely pick up soon.  I'm also reading "The Client" by Parnell Hall...whoever that is.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
kaelkale

I've got balls of steel!

ryukaneda@hotmail.com
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: August 26, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »

Most recent book I finished was Mass Effect: Ascension. Have to say I'm excited to hear that The Invisible Man will be in ME2 because his character was great. Reminded me slightly of Andrew Ryan from Bioshock

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:38 PM »

I'm now... 8 books, I think, into re-reading Wheel of Time (don't care if other people hated it - I liked it enough to read it again). 

Happened to pick up and start reading what I believe is the latest book in the Wild Cards series, Inside Straight.  George R. R. Martin fans, check that series out.  He didn't write it all, but he was the editor for the whole thing, and most of it's very good stuff.  It's a shame that the earlier books are hard to find offline. 

And I read some other book about time travel just last weekend, liked it, and already can't think of the name. :D

—Kurt Vonnegut
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: August 26, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »

In the past 2 weeks I have read the first 10 books in the Dresden Files series.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: