Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 09:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337759 Posts in 13830 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 296764 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »

In the last few weeks I've read all 11 currently-released Dresden Files books, and all but two of the short stories/novelletes. I am so far beyond impressed with the story Jim Butcher is weaving; it's totally drawn me in on nearly every level, though I will admit the series gets off to something of a slow start. Cannot wait for April, since Changes is coming out. Have to say, it kinda sucks knowing there's a whopping 12 more books too come out before the series ends, which is going to take, likely, almost as many years, but a book a year is a pretty good rate when you consider he writes two series at a time.

Still... I'm going to be about 31 when the series is over. That's scary shit.

Huge fan.

I am currently re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series. On book 3.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: February 21, 2010, 03:27:11 AM »

Picked up Jim Butcher's other series, Codex Alera. Finished the first book, Furies of Calderon and about to pick up Academ's Fury. It definitely has a totally different feel than the Dresden books, and I'm not nearly as quick to get into it, but it's growing on me a bit. My only complaint is that I really don't give a shit about Amara and just want to see what's going on with Tavi all the time. I understand why he has to jump back and forth to explain everything, but it still irritates me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:21:22 PM by Ragnarok-Sabin » Logged
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: February 21, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »

Picked up Jim Butcher's other series, Codex of Alera. Finished the first book, Furies of Calderon and about to pick up Academ's Fury. It definitely has a totally different feel than the Dresden books, and I'm not nearly as quick to get into it, but it's growing on me a bit. My only complaint is that I really don't give a shit about Amara and just want to see what's going on with Tavi all the time. I understand why he has to jump back and forth to explain everything, but it still irritates me.

I was the same way at first. It didn't really grab me until the second book. The first was ok, but seemed a bit..plain and overused. One kid, different from everyone else. It's the way Jim Butcher tells the story that really makes it different.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: February 21, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

Yeah, I'm nearly done the second book now--maybe 70% done--and I'm finding it far more interesting. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that in both books I've liked Tavi best, and in the first one he just coasted along. This time he's actually doing something of his own volition, rather than being led along.

In other news, I still don't give a shit about Amara's side of things.

Jim is definitely an excellent author, however. Can't support the man enough.

UPDATE: I'm now done the entire series. Loved it, generally. Of course, by the end I STILL didn't give a shit about Amara, but you can't like every character. I think much of the focus on her should have been redirected to Kitai, who I found to be the most interesting (and therefore my favourite), yet woefully under-developed. She was just there a lot, when she could have been doing so much more. A lot of untapped potential in her, which was really disappointing to me.

I am, however, a big fan of how Butcher tells his stories. Events, separated by years, and seemingly unconnected, all coming to a head... He does it in the Dresden Files even more so, and I positively love the results in both that and Codex Alera. Eagerly await both Changes and his rumored new series.

However, as much as I liked reading the stories, I hate the feeling I get after finishing a good series. It almost without fail leaves me with an "empty" feeling; I don't want to leave whatever world I've been in for so long, and more importantly, I want to see where the characters are going afterward more. Characters make or break it for me and I have a hard time leaving them behind.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:27:57 PM by Ragnarok-Sabin » Logged
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »

I am currently undergoing my annual reading of the Dune series.

I am roughly two chapters into the first book. :P

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: March 25, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »

I am currently undergoing my annual reading of the Dune series.

I am roughly two chapters into the first book. :P

I started reading the first Dune book about 3 years ago and was really enjoying it, then I came across this one day:

http://www.arrakis.co.uk/jpg/duneextendeddvd.jpg

I couldn't finish the book because all I could see in place of what I created as the characters was these stupid looking 80's versions and Sting.

"Oh, a hunter..."
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: March 28, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »

I finished reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" today and enjoyed it very much.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: March 29, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »

I just finished reading Salt by Earl Lovelace for a class, very very good book about making a national identity in the face of one that was forcibly imposed upon a people.  The style and form is also very unique and interesting.

I'm on Spring Break right now and plan on attempting something absolutely nuts, which will probably fail, but I don't think I'll have time to do it otherwise.  I am hoping to read through and finish Nabokov's Lolita, Camus' The Fall, Anzaldua's Borderlands, and Glissant's Fourth Century, all this week...while also continuing work on a writing project.  I'm probably going to fizzle out and give up by Wednesday.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: March 30, 2010, 06:53:22 AM »

I'm now reading "Confessor", the final book in the Sword of Truth series. I have to say that I've enjoyed every book. The best series that I've read overall actually.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »

Just finished reading "The Graveyard Book". It's an excellent book-- the sort a child would enjoy and re-read as an adult (only to find they enjoy it more then).

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »

Just bought and started reading a book called "The Black Company," by Glen Cook.  It's a fantasy book that focuses on a mercenary company.  One of the quotes on the back says it's like a book about the Vietnam war on peyote.  So far, so good, but I'm not that far in.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: April 09, 2010, 12:53:10 AM »

I'm about halfway through Lolita (though I should have it done by now dammit) and it is pretty damn freaking good.  So many amazing things going on.  What is incredibly misleading is the fact that they have a critical excerpt on the back calling Lolita "The truest love story of our time."  Anyone who could possibly call what is in that book love is clearly demented. 
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: April 21, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »

Just finished reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaimen, I enjoyed it but not as much as American Gods.

Now started reading The Knight by Gene Wolfe

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: June 06, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »

"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman.

About halfway through and I'm liking it.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: June 07, 2010, 12:16:38 AM »

Just started reading Beijing Coma by Ma Jian and I'm hooked.  The whole novel takes place in the memories of a man in a coma.  One of the most original structures for a novel I've ever seen.  Oh and it's a damn good story too.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: