Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338136 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 297771 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: June 08, 2010, 01:33:53 AM »

I'm reading a Star Wars novel.  Actually a first for me.  It's called Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. It seems alright so far I guess but I apparently don't know NEARLY as much about the Star Wars mythos as I had thought. It's funny that as I'm reading it, it makes my want to watch the movies and play the games again.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »

Reading "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" in Korean. I bought the book because I loved the drama series, and the drama was based upon the book.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: June 11, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »

Reading From Hell with Love by Simon R. Green.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: June 19, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »

Reading 2666 by Roberto Bolano.  I am about 100 pages in and I absolutely love this book and I think Bolano has secured his spot as my top author.  Hell, I may have to learn Spanish just so I can go back and reread this and The Savage Detectives the way they were meant to be read.  I highly recommend this book to any, and everyone (just as long as they have the time since it is a 900 page beast.)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

Finished My Name is Kim Sam Soon and moved onto Kim Yuna's 7 Minute Drama (Korean.) Since the last time I posted, I also started the first Full Metal Panic! book (in Japanese.)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: June 21, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »

I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and the twelfth book of the wheel of time.

I cannot wait to get The next book by Patrick Rothfuss. He has a very unique way of telling a story.

I enjoyed the work Brandon Sanderson did in the Gathering Storm but some characters seemed slightly off.
While Mat and Talmanes seem like they have very different personalities than the earlier books this is to be expected by a new author. Overall I was very happy with it. On a brighter side Perrin is his old self again and Rodel Ituralde suddenly shot up to being one of my favourite characters in the series. (I always had an immense dislike of Rand so I am not the best judge on how he was portrayed. He seemed his regular self to me though)

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 22, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »

I <3 the Wheel of Time series a ton, and therefore Robert Jordan, but...

I felt the same way, that some of the characters changed in this book, but for the better.  Finally, some of these people are freaking growing up!  For example, at one point, Rand gets something wrong, and Aviendha thinks to herself that he's not an idiot - he just doesn't know better on this one, and she needs to teach him about it.  That NEVER would have happened in a Robert Jordan Wheel of Time book, and it REALLY needed to.  He would have had her go off on a rant for several pages about what a moron Rand is and how can she be expected to deal with a moron like him who can't even get simple things right!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah.  Love the series, but also love the way the new guy has honored the old stuff, but still made some of the changes that absolutely had to happen in order to get to a good ending.

Oh, and yeah - Ituralde is a pretty cool guy.  My feeling is that he's basically Napoleon, except that he's not in a position to take over the world himself.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:40 AM »

.  He would have had her go off on a rant for several pages about what a moron Rand is and how can she be expected to deal with a moron like him who can't even get simple things right!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot to mention she would then drink tea. But I agree that it is great to see changes such as that one. Also as much as I loved the past books, if Jordan had continued writing them I could see them reaching the mid twenties at the very least.

The problem I had with Mat was neither his responses or his actions but rather with his...tone?. Also Talmanes seems a chatterbox compared to his old self. Nothing major but Mat has probably been my favourite character ever since his one on two duel at Tar Valon in the early books.

Strange to say it but I have the odd feeling Mat may be the real dragon reborn. Although that may just be my dislike of Rand and being a fanboy of Mat clouding things. For all I know Padan Fain could pop out of nowhere kill the Dark One and Tarmon Gaiden never occurs.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: July 08, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »

I'm reading Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King for the thousandth time.  I never get tired of this one:)

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: July 17, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »

I've hardly progressed in Full Metal Panic (it kind of sucks when you encounter a lot of kanji you don't know.) I finished Kim Yuna's 7 Minute Drama and moved onto Tablo's (of Epik High) Pieces of You (Korean version) and I'm almost done with that one.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: July 18, 2010, 11:33:21 AM »

I've been reading Cesare Pavese's The Moon and the Bonfires.  It's really beautiful thus far and I'm enjoying it though I can't say anything is really happening.  Still a nice book.

Also, I'm spending the next few weeks with family in Trinidad and managed to get two books that are out of print in the US, one by Earl Lovelace and another by Sam Selvon, and while on my way on an excursion across the island the group stopped at a rumshop/restaurant area where we just happened to run into Earl Lovelace partying the night away.  I'm sure almost no one knows who he is, but it was the most amazing random happening.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: July 18, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »

Reading "Eat, Pray, Love" because I now have three copies of it because my friends keep forcing it into my hands.

It's clever and funny in parts, touching in places but it isn't changing my life and I'm having a hard time swallowing this journey of hers. It feels to deliberate and artificial.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 19, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »

Last week, I read the first book in the "Chronicles of Amber" series by Roger Zelazny.  I liked it quite a bit.   Thankfully, when I got it at a used book place, I got the whole first series. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »

I read the first two Temeraire books, and just started the third one. They are nowhere near as good as I was hoping they would be. The author really isn't a very good writer, and has severe pacing issues. I keep reading them because I love the premise and hope at least one of the books lives up to it.
After I finish book three, I'll be reading some Moorcock. Now THAT should be good stuff.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: July 20, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »

"Under The Dome" by Stephen King finally went into paper-back so I picked up a copy the other day. I'm only a few chapters in but it seems good so far. This is a huge novel too at over 1000 pages. It should keep me busy for a month or so.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: