Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 06:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331878 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 281221 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »

I'm surprised at quite how boring I'm finding Wuthering Heights.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2006, 03:45:22 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
I'm surprised at quite how boring I'm finding Wuthering Heights.

I am hoping this is sarcasm. =P

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2006, 07:48:15 AM »

Nope. I thought I might enjoy it, it being somewhat of a classic, but it's just such a laborious read, and for me it's just not rewarding at all.

I had a stupid dream

Ruem

pccullum patrickcullum
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2006, 01:31:19 AM »

Lesse... lately I've been filling the time with spy novels and books by Dean Koontz, Micheal Connelly, occasionally interrupted by a children's fantasy story(Eragon, Eldest, then The Thief Lord). Nothing special to say about those; Mike, Dean, and authors such as Vince Flynn are often the conductors, the two children's fantasies were really read just to see what they were all about. I was seriously dissappointed by The Thief Lord.

The book I juuuuuusst finished and am really quite satisfied with is The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Probably also considered more a children's fantasy, I was lulled along by the somewhat different and more genesistical(huh?) avenue the story took. Plus, Bartimaeus, the namesake of The Bartimaeus Trilogy of which this is the first, constantly refers to ancient events/people(Atlantis/Ptolemy) with a wonderful mix of historical accuracy and character viewpoint. I'm definitely going to pick up the next two.

After finishing The Amulet of Samarkand and before starting on False Memory by Mr. Koontz, I discovered my roommate owns a copy of Redwall, by Brian Jacques(ya know, the mice, moles, badgers and shit? It's fucking great). Well.... last time I read that jewel was in middle school and I just couldn't resist.

edit: friggin lil tiny ass typos

--Ruem
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »

Just about done the third nook in the gap series by Donaldson. Pretty good stuff, but nothing mind-blowing. I will continiue the series, though.
Just read The Totally Geeky Guide to the Princess Bride. For folks who take the movie a bit too seriously. I love the movie, and enjoy the writings of Mary Ann Johanson, so I knew what to expect.
I also recently aquired The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. This should be interesting.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2006, 11:33:29 AM »

I took a break from Wuthering Heights to read Frankenstein, which I really enjoyed. Sadly, I now have to go back to the moors *sigh*

I had a stupid dream

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »

I feel bad for you Degolas.  I too share your hatred of Wuthering Heights.  My main problem was that I couldn't root for the so called protagonists.  I thought the characters were selfish and crappy and I couldn't bring myself to care about them.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »

Ever so slightly getting towards the end of Eragon - page 392, i think. It only starts getting interesting after page 60, when something actually happens. It is a bit slow-moving, but at least Christopher Paolini doesn't spend too long describing things - at one point several weeks pass in a page. It is still a very good book,  despite all of the above. It will never beat Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen by Garth Nix, as I don't think an SF/Fantasy book written in recent years comes close to being as good as them - Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series comes close though.

Back to Eragon. The story is  somewhat less cliche than it seems at first, with dragons, elves, dwarves and of course an evil empire. The main thing that's a bit different is
Code:
that you can't trust some of the main characters - it seemed as if Brom was a bad guy, but then it turns out he wasn't - and the "rebels" aren't much better than  the Empire. But that thing with Murtagh wasnt that surprising, as he did know a bit too much about the Empire and plus he recognised Zar'roc.
The characters are quite interesting, too - there's even - gasp! - character development!

This is one of those books that wouldn't make a good film, unless the director/scriptwriter knew what the fuck they were doing. I bet they'll mispronounce all the words (the names of towns, ancient language words and people's names are all pronounced the way an English person would) and put a lot more action into it. And plus, it's quite hard to translate a 500-odd page book into a two-and-a-half hour film. At least there are hardly any teenage main characters, cuz everyone knows what teenage actors are like...

On a slightly different note, I too have read Wuthering Heights. Though I was forced to read it for English at high school, so it was automatically more boring than reading it out of your own free will. I have also read a few other pre-20th  century novels:
Dracula (very very long and slow to read)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (or Under the Sea for 20,000 leagues would be more accurate)
Dorian Gray (nothing happens for all 400 pages)
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2006, 07:55:37 AM »

If you're interested in reading something from that period which you might enjoy, I recommend Jane Eyre. It's in a similar writing-style to Wuthering Heights (the authors being sisters and all), but the characters are far more likeable and interesting, and it's a lot less static than Wuthering Heights.

Frankenstein is also a good read, I've just finished it as part of my course. It's quite dense, but very well written, with a very interesting story.

I'm in a big reading mood at the moment, and I've bought myself a bunch of books to tide me over.

I've just finished 'Infernal Devices,' the third Philip Reeve book in that series. It was good, but not a patch on the first two. It felt far more simplistic, and the climax just felt like a rehash of the first book's ending.

My upcoming reading list:

- Dracula, by Bram Stoker
- Paradise Lost, by John Milton

I've also bought a lot of poetry, because as a writer I don't read anywhere enough of it!

- The Best Loved Poems of John Betjeman
- New Poems Book 1, by Charles Bukowski
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems, by Samuel Coleridge

And I still have course texts to read. I'm set for the next few months I think!

I had a stupid dream

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2006, 03:44:13 PM »

I'm in th middle of Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman and On the Road by Jack Kerouac. Both are excellent.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2006, 07:19:29 PM »

So I picked up "Anasi Boys" by Neil Gaiman.  I am completely amazed at how dissimilar it is to "American Gods". :P

Ruem

pccullum patrickcullum
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2006, 03:27:38 AM »

Well, Redwall was fun, as I expected. A decade since I last read it certainly brought up a few "that seemed more gruesome when I first read it" and similarily themed moments but the story still enchants.

Afterwords I picked up The Eye of The Golem and Ptolemy's Gate, the next two in The Bartimaeus Trilogy and quickly read through them both. I tried to explain my reaction to its completion to my roommate(who doesn't really read) and the best I could come up with was: "I hated the ending at first, but that usually means I think about it forever and end up liking it". Ending aside, the whole journey was a joy, and I'd recommend it to just about anyone.... not my roommate.

Sooooo, after that, largely having to do with my snail's pace through False Memory by Mr. Koontz, I picked up a three book set of the Artemis Fowl series. Look, I like psychological thrillers at certain times, but I read through 200 pages of this first Artemis Fowl book faster than it took me to trod through 50 of this blooming mind-fuck Mr. Koontz wants to lay on me. I know I've heard this Fowl name before, whether on this board or elsewhere, and its starting off as fairly promising, though I'm a little weary of the "real life/magical world living together but seperate" trend.

--Ruem
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2006, 02:43:54 PM »

Discovered today a reading list I didn't know I had! All books from the early 18th century was well. So I picked up two of the books from it, Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver's Travels. Dracula will have to put on hold sadly.

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2006, 03:15:29 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
I've just finished 'Infernal Devices,' the third Philip Reeve book in that series. It was good, but not a patch on the first two. It felt far more simplistic, and the climax just felt like a rehash of the first book's ending.

Yeah, I have to agree there -
Code:
it is basically the same ending, but not everyone dies.
And while Infernal Devices may not be as good, it sets things up nicely for the fourth and final book, A Darkling Plain. And without spoiling anything, that book has a very good ending.

Anyway, I finally finished Eragon today, and now I want to read the next book, Eldest. Because, while the storyline is somewhat resolved, the story hasn't actually "finished" -
Code:
there's still the matter of an evil empire, and every other loose end that wasn't tied up in this book.
The ending has neither a cliffhanger nor reminders of the loose ends so there'll probably be a different ending to the film so that it does have one or both of these things - because otherwise people probably wouldn't see the inevitable adaptations of the next books (though from what I gather it's not one of the "big" films this winter, so this may never happen).

Edit: I'm interested to see how the film is going to turn out, as it's (to my knowledge) the first to be based on a successful teenage SF/Fantasy book in recent years - unless you count Harry Potter, though that is meant for kids (and adults) of all ages so that doesn't count. I'm also wondering what rating it will have, as unless they remove most of the violence (monsters' heads being cut off, blood-stained swords and piles of human corpses, for instance) and
Code:
lines like "When torture failed, he ordered his soldiers to use me as they would, but fortunately I still had the strength to nudge their minds to make them incapable"
it'll be a 15/M - though most of the book isn't quite like those things mentioned.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2006, 04:19:17 PM »

I don't know. If it's monsters being eviscerated and generally maimed, the rating doesn't tend to be as high. Look at Lord of the Rings, for example.

I had a stupid dream

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: