Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337998 Posts in 13837 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 297409 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: October 02, 2010, 12:09:50 AM »

Reading- Brandon Sanderson-The Way of Kings

This is the guy that took over for Robert Jordan after he died. This series is AWESOME so far. This is the first book in his own "EPIC SERIES".

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: October 02, 2010, 01:34:25 AM »

Kinda readin' two books at once, not something I normally do.  One is an H.P. Lovecraft collection "The Road to Madness" and the other is "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.  Both are good!

Nice. Lovecraft rules

Indeed =D  He's from my state too!  Born and died in Providence, Rhode Island.  About 20 min from where I live.

You killed him, didn't you?!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 02, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »

Anyone else ever read Neal Gaiman's Lovecraftian Sherlock Holmes story?  It's been a while, but I seem to remember it being pretty good, and available free at his website.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: October 02, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »

Kinda readin' two books at once, not something I normally do.  One is an H.P. Lovecraft collection "The Road to Madness" and the other is "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.  Both are good!

Nice. Lovecraft rules

Indeed =D  He's from my state too!  Born and died in Providence, Rhode Island.  About 20 min from where I live.

You killed him, didn't you?!

Haha! I did not!  Lovecraft is great though =D  It's awesome that he references so many real locations around here.  Rhode Island/Providence is pretty small, so you can almost always go "Hey I know that place!".

Anyone else ever read Neal Gaiman's Lovecraftian Sherlock Holmes story?  It's been a while, but I seem to remember it being pretty good, and available free at his website.

I have not, but that sounds really cool.  I'm a big Holmes fan too.  Do you remember what it was called?  I poked around his website a bit but couldn't figure it out.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #679 on: October 19, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

I took a walk to my local bookstore the other day and saw they had a HUGE section of re-released classics, and older fiction at very cheap prices. Having only read a couple that were in the display I bought myself:

--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
--Treasure Island (by Robert Louis Stevenson)
--Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Caroll)

Also contemplating picking up The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, A Clockwork Orange and Lolita. In fact, if anyone has read them I'd love to hear what you thought.

Only read Sherlock so far. And it was fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:12:21 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: October 19, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »

I have read "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "Lolita."

Lolita is a mad genius piece of art.  I can only imagine how long Nabokov took to create that novel.  Every single sentence is painstakingly crafted and tells a very wonderful story.  It's funny, and heart breaking, and funny, and a very worthwhile read.  If you do pick it up, do note that there is a Foreword in the novel that is actually a part of the novel.  I don't know about you, but I tend to skip Forewords and Introductions since a lot of times they tend to be critiques and the like, but yeah...don't skip.

Tom Sawyer is a good, fun, kids book.  It's really not meant to be much more than that though.  I love Twain, but I like him because his humor really strikes a chord at lashing out against the hypocrisy of racism and race and the like.  Tom Sawyer doesn't do that really.  That isn't to say it isn't an enjoyable read though.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »

Thanks Az. Sounds like they're both worth taking a look at.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:40 PM »

I am still undertaking the project I started several months ago:  buy and read every single Discworld novel.  According to Wikipedia, when I finish off these last few pages in "Feet of Clay", I'll be...halfway.  Holy shit, that's a lot of reading down and a lot of reading to go. :P

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »

I want to tackle that terry goodkind sword of truth series some day.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: October 23, 2010, 02:26:18 AM »

I want to tackle that terry goodkind sword of truth series some day.

HAHAHAHAHA

No, you really don't. :P  Just read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, it's the same bullshit but much shorter.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 23, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »

I've heard about the CHICKEN THAT IS NOT A CHICKEN and I'm staying as far away from that as I can. That, and I have a problem getting into long fantasy series anyway, guess it's from trying to read through Wheel of Time when I was a teenager. If I'm going to bother it'll have to be really good (see: Song of Ice and Fire).
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: October 23, 2010, 07:35:23 AM »

Oh god, I had forgotten all about the demon chicken!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: October 23, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »

Taking a stab at "Sense & Sensibility", one of the two Austen novels I never got around to reading. It's going to take a few chapters before I adjust to her writing style after weeks of dense academic textbooks. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »

I did a bit of a splurge and decided to pick up three books.  One that I'm ashamed of myself for waiting so long to read, the other at a recommendation of a friend, and the other because it's somewhat related to my studies and I was surprised to find it at a local bookstore.  They are, respectively:

Native Son - Richard Wright
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
Your Republic is Calling You - Kim Young-Ha
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: October 23, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »

Artemis Fowl
this book needs furries

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 103 Print