Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 05:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 98 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 234779 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #690 on: October 26, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »

anyone here have any thoughts on the Wheel of Time series?

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 27, 2010, 01:09:42 AM »

I like it a lot.  However, it really starts dragging around book... 7 or 8, I think?  Thankfully, it picks up again a few books later, but that's still like a couple of thousand pages or so.

The new author who picked it up after Jordan died did an outstanding job.  Some of the characters finally grew up in ways that they really needed to, but Jordan had been dragging his feet on.  I think the second to last book comes out next month.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #692 on: October 27, 2010, 07:54:12 AM »

Atlas Shrugged. An okay book.

Ayn Rand quite clearly needed a good few kicks in the teeth though.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #693 on: October 27, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »

She needed more than a few kicks in the teeth.  And it's scary how popular her books are...though it does make complete sense in the current climate that we live in.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #694 on: October 27, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »

I want to tackle that terry goodkind sword of truth series some day.

HAHAHAHAHA

No, you really don't. :P  Just read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, it's the same bullshit but much shorter.

I'll take a pass on that. I read Fountainhead by her and that was enough

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #695 on: October 27, 2010, 06:27:49 PM »

Started reading Amulet by Roberto Bolano.  I'm happy to have a professor that appreciates Bolano as much as I do.  Very short novel.  I also have to read The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector for class.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #696 on: October 29, 2010, 01:17:06 AM »

No, you really don't. :P Just read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, it's the same bullshit but much shorter.

I read that for school.
it was bleh

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #697 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »

Just finished reading Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett and The One Kingdom by Sean Russell.

Unseen Academicals disappointed me. It was a good book but lacked that certain something that a lot of the other books had.

I was not expecting much after reading the back of The One Kingdom but once I started I could not put it down.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #698 on: October 30, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »

Since the last time I posted, I've read a couple of books in Korean. Currently reading Coffee Prince (since I liked the drama,) and if I wasn't busy, I'd be done with it by now. Also reading the second Full Metal Panic light novel.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #699 on: October 30, 2010, 10:31:13 PM »

Reading Mistborn by the guy that took over for Robert Jordan. I really like his writing style and might...just might...pick back up the wheel of time series

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 31, 2010, 01:00:43 AM »

Reading Mistborn by the guy that took over for Robert Jordan. I really like his writing style and might...just might...pick back up the wheel of time series

See my comments higher up on this page. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: November 01, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »

I like it a lot.  However, it really starts dragging around book... 7 or 8, I think?  Thankfully, it picks up again a few books later, but that's still like a couple of thousand pages or so.

The new author who picked it up after Jordan died did an outstanding job.  Some of the characters finally grew up in ways that they really needed to, but Jordan had been dragging his feet on.  I think the second to last book comes out next month.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I probably wouldn't read the whole series, but the 1st books are supposed to be solid.

I'm frequently let down by long series... Riverworld, Dark Tower

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: November 01, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts.

I probably wouldn't read the whole series, but the 1st books are supposed to be solid.

I'm frequently let down by long series... Riverworld, Dark Tower

I stopped at book 5. I found myself annoyed with the series. With Brandon Sanderson taking over I am interested again. I have read a few of his books and I really like his style.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: November 07, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »

I had a crazy dream that I was wandering through a crazy old bookstore that was filled w/ nothing but awesome Tor brand sci-fi books with amazing cover art

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »

Currently reading "Mustaine".  It's not telling me much I didn't already know but it's interesting enough.  Especially about the early days of Metallica and such. Should be finished by the end of the day.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 98 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: