Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331782 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 280820 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: December 07, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »

Reading Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I hear it's good.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 08, 2010, 11:11:25 PM »

Speaking of books I actually have, I'm reading Towers of Midnight - the latest Wheel of Time book.  I'm about 350 pages in, so it'll be a week or two before I finish.  It's good, and it's reminding me of just why there had to be three books to wrap up the series.  Darned Robert Jordan and his dozens of plot threads.

I lied.  Finished this book just now.  Good stuff, and I can tell that there's plenty of stuff left to happen in the last book.  I currently think that it'll all end mostly OK.  Partly because I don't think these guys would have dragged us through over 11,000 pages so far only to give us a bad ending.  (Yep, counting the prequel book, over 11,000 pages, and still one more book to go.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

My gf's parents got me some of the books for xmas, tooker. I only wanted the 1st three to see if I like it. Well they got me more than that based on the box that showed up from amazon.

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: December 09, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »

Finished "Outbound Flight" and its accompanying short story "Mist Encounter."  I was not expecting them to tie together.  I am now a Thrawn fan. :)  Eventually I'll get to Zahn's original trilogy.  But now I can say for sure I'm looking forward to it.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: December 12, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »

I've been re-reading the current Daredevil series lately. I think I trucked through issues 51-85 this weekend alone. There's a reason I went out of my way to buy the entire series.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: December 12, 2010, 06:48:07 PM »

When my brother went through his Daredevil phase I pretty much read all the tps he bought. Loved them but DD has always been one of the saddest comic characters I've had to read. :(

Currently reading an Economics textbook but will soon be on a five-hour train ride, reading something less excruciating. I hope.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: December 13, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »

School is essentially done and now I'm at a loss as to what to read.  I've got three books in front of me that I'm thinking of picking up:

Naked Lunch - Burroughs
Nazi Literatures in the Americas - Bolano
The Fall - Camus

Leaning towards The Fall just because it's so short.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: December 15, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »

"Five Little Pigs" by Agatha Christie. Really almost done with it. I love Hercule Poirot. :D

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »

Reading the Annotated Turing by Charles Petzold. Truly amazing stuff.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: December 18, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »

started the wheel of time series.

Takes a while to get used to all the odd names whenever you start a new fantasy epic... but I like it.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 18, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

Hey, cool - hope you love it.  It's gonna get slow at some point, but hopefully it'll be for you like it was for me: far enough into the series that I slogged on anyway.  A couple of books later, things picked back up, and now we're one book away from the end.  It may even come out before you get that far.

And yay for Agatha Christie!

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: December 19, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »

Hey, cool - hope you love it.  It's gonna get slow at some point, but hopefully it'll be for you like it was for me: far enough into the series that I slogged on anyway.  A couple of books later, things picked back up, and now we're one book away from the end.  It may even come out before you get that far.

And yay for Agatha Christie!

I enjoy the writing style a lot. Though I probably won't read the series in one straight shot. Since I don't know much about the series at all actually I wanna ask, is there a major arcing storyline or do the books sort stand on their own?

Also, are you happy with the way the whole thing ended up after like a billion pages?

Did you read the sword of truth books? How do those compare?

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 19, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »

I actually tried to re-read the series at one point, and even as a fan, I had to break things up. Read one WoT book, then one non-WoT book.

There's absolutely a storyline for the whole series.  It's about the Dragon Reborn* preparing for the final battle against... basically Satan, who is about to break out of the prison he was put into thousands of years earlier and take over the world.

*Not trying to be pretentious there - I just don't want to ruin anything if you don't know which character that is yet.

Even after 11,000 pages, the series isn't quite over yet - there's one more book to go, scheduled to come out in about a year.  Robert Jordan died a few years ago, but knew that he was going to die without finishing the series, so he took tons of notes, recorded hours and hours of sessions talking about what needed to happen, and picked someone to finish the remaining books.  The new guy has done a really great job so far, though.

I've only read the first Sword of Truth book... so I'll leave the comparison to someone else.  I prefer the Wheel of Time series, though.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »

When my brother went through his Daredevil phase I pretty much read all the tps he bought. Loved them but DD has always been one of the saddest comic characters I've had to read. :(

Currently reading an Economics textbook but will soon be on a five-hour train ride, reading something less excruciating. I hope.

He's probably the most tragic superhero out there. What I like about him, is that whether you're reading about Matt Murdock or Daredevil, it's always interesting. I feel with most other super-heroes, you're just waiting for them to put on the mask/costume. Not with this character. I'm such a geek that I bought the entire current series (1998-present) in issue form. So I have a box of ~120 Daredevil comics at the foot of my bed. Out of the 1000+ comics I own, they are my favorite.

However, the new writer, Andy Diggle, seems like he's completely fucked up ten solid years of comics. I haven't read it all yet, but from what I've heard he basically took the single-best run in Marvel's history and made it just another lame super-hero comic. After Shadowland, the current story arc, resolves, the book is getting changed to "The Black Panther: The Man Without Fear", which is the dumbest shit I've ever heard, since the Black Panther didn't appear in a SINGLE issue prior to this story arc. I might actually have to stop reading this comic monthly, which is a shame because it's been constant for the last five or so years, even when I wasn't reading anything else.

I read Kick-Ass tonight. This is the most violent comic I've ever read, by far. It's also awesome. Apparently, the sequel is coming out monthly now. Might have to snag the few back issues and add it to my reading list instead of Daredevil.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: December 20, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

I actually tried to re-read the series at one point, and even as a fan, I had to break things up. Read one WoT book, then one non-WoT book.

There's absolutely a storyline for the whole series.  It's about the Dragon Reborn* preparing for the final battle against... basically Satan, who is about to break out of the prison he was put into thousands of years earlier and take over the world.

*Not trying to be pretentious there - I just don't want to ruin anything if you don't know which character that is yet.

Even after 11,000 pages, the series isn't quite over yet - there's one more book to go, scheduled to come out in about a year.  Robert Jordan died a few years ago, but knew that he was going to die without finishing the series, so he took tons of notes, recorded hours and hours of sessions talking about what needed to happen, and picked someone to finish the remaining books.  The new guy has done a really great job so far, though.

I've only read the first Sword of Truth book... so I'll leave the comparison to someone else.  I prefer the Wheel of Time series, though.

Cool, thanks!

the only thing i dont like is the character Lan. The way he calls everyone by their profession: "come, blacksmith" "listen to me sheepherder" is annoying 
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: