Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 04:06:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332765 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 283877 times)
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #885 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »

First of all, Adapheon, awesome avatar. Such a great book in such a fabulous series. I'm SO excited to read the final book!

But, that aside, when I'm getting to reading things, I've dabbled back into my teen-hood and I'm reading some Dragonlance books. I'm reading the... Time of the Twins, I think? No wait... Test of the Twins, by Weiss and Hickman who are by no means Steven Erickson... But still, I did miss the misadventures of Tasselhoff Burrfoot, in spite of the 'okay' writing of their novels. I mostly just want to read them because I was always curious about Raistlin's history and what made him who he is.

After that... I'm hoping to read Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood, since I got it at Christmas but haven't gotten to it, then devote the rest of my time to Erickson's latest. I am kinda' sad it'll be ending, though. I'll have Esselmont's works to look forward to, but I know I'll want more Erickson. I hope he has a new series planned.

Since we're moving shortly, I was packing up our books and I think I've decided I've run my course with the Wheel of Time series. It just... doesn't grab me anymore. I'll likely donate them to the library, or to friends who're missing some of them.

Just Greg, thanks.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: April 18, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »

Hey Perigryn, for Erikson I recall him stating his next book is an Malazan Encyclopedia followed by two more trilogies, one being a prequel about Anomader Rake. If you haven't yet I would also check out his novellas on Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, I own two of them and they're hilarious.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #887 on: April 20, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »

finished book 3 of wheel of fortune ....er time.

I was dreading it, in the 1st 100 or so pages but this turned out to be a great read. I like how everyone converged at the end.

Going to read this next to give myself a fantasy break:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Pharaoh-Richard-Battle-Chicago/dp/0316834890
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »

Started reading, believe it or not, Lord of the Rings. You think I would've done this by now. Better later then never though...

Oh, and in relation to this, Lord of the Rings is just the start of me trying to find some good Fantasy to read; I haven't read much (at all; books in general, aside from when I was in school in classes,) actually, but I've started getting into it. (LoR is fairly interesting thus far.) ; Any good suggestions for Fantasy? It's what I'm in the mood for at this point.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: April 21, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

Started reading, believe it or not, Lord of the Rings. You think I would've done this by now. Better later then never though...

Oh, and in relation to this, Lord of the Rings is just the start of me trying to find some good Fantasy to read; I haven't read much (at all; books in general, aside from when I was in school in classes,) actually, but I've started getting into it. (LoR is fairly interesting thus far.) ; Any good suggestions for Fantasy? It's what I'm in the mood for at this point.

It seems like A Song of Fire and Ice is the go-to fantasy series these days. People love it and when you're done reading you can watch the new tv series based on it.

I'm reading Wheel of Time....it's good but I sort of regret getting into it. It's so. fucking. long. (that's what she said)
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: April 21, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »

It seems like A Song of Fire and Ice is the go-to fantasy series these days. People love it and when you're done reading you can watch the new tv series based on it.

I'm reading Wheel of Time....it's good but I sort of regret getting into it. It's so. fucking. long. (that's what she said)

I tried to read Wheel a while back; it didn't work, though maybe it was because I couldn't tolerate reading much at the time. It's different now though, as I sort of stated.

I also tried to read the first Malazan book sometime after that; got it from the library and started reading it too late, so I only got so far before I had to return it. I've been thinking of trying that series again after LoR. I'm still open to other suggestions though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:55:15 PM by badsanta » Logged
Adapheon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »

Nah,go for the first Malazan book, it's worth it. Funny thing is I really didn't like it at first, got about 200 pages in and stopped for like 6 months and then went back to it just because I ran out of other stuff to read. The day after I finished it I bought the next 2 books (which is how long it was into print at that point). It's still my favourite fantasy series. If you wanted something shorter The Prince of Nothing series is a trilogy and excellent. Very mature though, so if you don't like lots of swearing, graphic sex and violence then you might not wanna get into it because it's pretty vulgar at times.

The downside to getting into A Song of Ice and Fire is wondering how long George RR Martin will take to finish it. I'm happy as a clam A Dance of Dragons is coming out but after that it could be another 5 year wait.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #892 on: April 21, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »

is the next fire and ice book the last or will he milk the fuck out of this?
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »

Nah,go for the first Malazan book, it's worth it. Funny thing is I really didn't like it at first, got about 200 pages in and stopped for like 6 months and then went back to it just because I ran out of other stuff to read. The day after I finished it I bought the next 2 books (which is how long it was into print at that point). It's still my favourite fantasy series. If you wanted something shorter The Prince of Nothing series is a trilogy and excellent. Very mature though, so if you don't like lots of swearing, graphic sex and violence then you might not wanna get into it because it's pretty vulgar at times.

The downside to getting into A Song of Ice and Fire is wondering how long George RR Martin will take to finish it. I'm happy as a clam A Dance of Dragons is coming out but after that it could be another 5 year wait.

Thanks; I think I'll try out Malazan at some point, though it may be a while. LoR comes first, and then I may do Similarion and Children of Hurin after that; depends on on how much I'll end up liking LoR, though I do happen to already own them both. (Similarion and Hurin.) And after that, I'm going to have to sit through 9 other reserves for a Library copy of Gardens of the Moon; if it was just Gardens, then I'd just buy it, (5 bucks easy used,) but buying all of the books would be rather expensive. Unless someone knows of a way to get the full set for dirt-cheap.
Adapheon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: April 21, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »

is the next fire and ice book the last or will he milk the fuck out of this?

There's still a couple more books to go so it may take some time to see the series done.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: April 22, 2011, 01:49:35 AM »

question for those who have read WoT (keep in mind i've only read the 1st three)
Who does rand kill at the end of book 2? if at the end of book 3 he thinks he kills ba'alzamon but it's really one of the forsaken... was the guy he "killed" at the end of two another forsaken?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 22, 2011, 02:46:25 AM »

If I understand correctly,
Code:
he doesn't actually kill Ba'alzamon at the end of book 2. He just beats him in the fight. But at the end of book 3, he really does kill him.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »

http://io9.com/#!5795511/amazons-2369865593-book-about-flies
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 25, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »

Insanity. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #899 on: April 30, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »

The newest addition to my list of stuff I'm currently reading is Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf by James Segrest and Mark Hoffman.  I've just started the third chapter, and it's been pretty dark thus far.  The man had a life rough enough to match his voice.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: