Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338464 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 298436 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: April 30, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »

Wishsong of Shannara

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: May 01, 2011, 01:24:36 AM »

I just finished Conversation in the Cathedral by Vargas Llosa. I don't really know what to say about the book. Absolute masterpiece. Books like this make me wish I could sit inside some people's heads and just watch it go to work.

Recently bought a copy of Kobo Abe's The Box Man and D. M. Thomas' Memories and Hallucinations. Started reading The Box Man earlier today. I can tell I'm very much going to enjoy this book.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:15:15 PM by Azrael » Logged
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: May 07, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »

Currently reading (selectively) poems from "Twenty Love Poems & a Song of Despair" by Pablo Neruda. It has the original Spanish text alongside English translations. :)

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: May 07, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »

Do you speak any Spanish?
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: May 07, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »

Yeah. I know enough for the grammar/basic vocab to make sense, but some of the more complicated words and tenses are a bit confusing.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 07, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »

Speaking of Spanish, I've been trying to get started again on Don Quixote.  I have a copy in the original, very old school Spanish that I was reading while I was in college, but I had enough other things to read that I gave up on it.  It's got amazing footnotes that helped me get the old references... but now I speak Spanish so infrequently that I think it'd be too much even with the footnotes.  Think I've got to find an updated language version.

While I'm on the subject, it's a matter of strange pride to me that I have read many of the books that Don Quixote read before he went crazy.  I won't say I'm not crazy, but I can say that I've never jousted with a windmill. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: May 08, 2011, 03:19:14 PM »

I've just started reading Deep Blues: A Musical and Cultural History of the Mississippi Delta by Robert Palmer.  It looks promising and should be easy to tear through.  The 600 page text-book sized monolith Texas Blues by Alan Governar which is probably coming up next, on the other hand...that will be a challenge.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: May 08, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »

Listening to the audiobook for Tina Fey's "Bossypants." This book seems to be aimed at a certain demographic. Well, it's definitely aimed at females.

Entertaining stuff while I'm painting my nails or drying my hair off. I'm already nearly halfway through the thing and I can tell that it does what Fey presumably set out to do-- make you laugh/smile/snort. :P

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »

I'm reading this book... what's it called... "A Game of... Bones...?" No, that's not quite right... "A Frame for Homes?" That doesn't seem to be it.

Oh! It's "A Game of Thrones." It's some obscure fantasy novel, you've probably never heard of it.

...what? HBO made it into a TV show? There goes all my hipster nerd cred.

(Jk, it's really good, I'm like a bajillion [read: 600] pages in.)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »

I finally managed to get a copy of Roberto Bolano's "The Savage Detectives" and have burned through about 100 pages in the last day. Gotta love the morning commute.

I finished Raymond Roussel's "New Impressions of Africa", which is a very fun, eccentric poem. Basically, it's divided into 4 cantos and each canto is a single sentence that keeps getting interrupted by parenthetical digressions, footnotes, and illustrations. It has next to nothing to do with Africa.

Basically, the French Whitman.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »

Finished the audiobooks for "Bossypants" as well as "And Then There Were None" (which was read by the guy who plays Hastings in the ITV series!). Liked them both.

Currently reading 100 Love Sonnets by Pablo Neruda.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: May 19, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »

I finished Crown of Shadows last night. The last in the Coldfire trilogy. The book, and the series as a whole, never really lived up to the potential  I saw early on. The highlight was the characters, with Gerald Tarrant being a poster boy for anti-heros everywhere. Unfortunately the story was kinda all over the place, and truly bored me on several occasions. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more magical and fun, and got the complete opposite.

Now I'm going to read the second Hitchhiker book. I expect to be amused.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: May 22, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »

I re-read Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers again today just to kill some time.  Awesome, as always:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »

Read the latest Fables tp and some of my Walking Dead compendium. Trying to catch up on my backlog of graphic novels!

Also re-reading "Hunger Games" because I have the other two novels from the trilogy and I want to finish it in time to talk to my friends about the movie casting.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #914 on: May 24, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »

Speaking of Spanish, I've been trying to get started again on Don Quixote.  I have a copy in the original, very old school Spanish that I was reading while I was in college, but I had enough other things to read that I gave up on it.  It's got amazing footnotes that helped me get the old references... but now I speak Spanish so infrequently that I think it'd be too much even with the footnotes.  Think I've got to find an updated language version.

While I'm on the subject, it's a matter of strange pride to me that I have read many of the books that Don Quixote read before he went crazy.  I won't say I'm not crazy, but I can say that I've never jousted with a windmill. :)

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2134

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: