Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:41:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334796 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 291092 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2006, 07:00:20 PM »

I found Slaughterhouse 5 really boring.  I'm not a Vonnegut fan.  I've read some of his short stories and found them pretty meh.  

Anyway, I finally finished The Amber Spyglass, book 3 of His Dark Materials.  Man, that book was a chore to read.  It dragged a lot and I fast forwarded a lot just to get to the stuff I needed to understand the ending.  I usually NEVER do that and read books attentively all the way through.  

The Golden Compass was good, if a bit slow in the beginning.  

The Subtle Knife was excellent; easily the best book in the series.  

Either way, Will Parry and Iorek Byrnison are the coolest characters.  Will rocks!

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2006, 03:11:57 AM »

I am not perfectly sure if this is the place for comic books or not, and I apologize if this is not appropriate for this thread.

Batman - The Killing Joke
Batman - Knightfall
      Yes, the whole arc, crammed into three graphic novels.
I am pondering what I should be reading after The Long Halloween. I got either Hellsing, or finish off Harry Potter V.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2006, 12:26:11 PM »

Comic books are books too!

I however am of course far too elite to read them :P

Neal, I agree with you about The Amber Spyglass. I mean, I still liked it, but it took me about a year to actually read it! The Subtle Knife is the best of the three, and, tellingly I think, the shortest.

And Philip Pullman is an absolute dick. That is all.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2006, 07:52:46 PM »

Yeah, Comc books are great. I haven't read any in about a year, but they're still valid forms of expression.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2006, 11:03:15 PM »

So in my complete frustration with the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre (American Gods WAS really good, but I just dont think I was as into it as I could have been) I walked into a second hand bookstore today in the UDist and picked up some Hemingway. Haven't read much by him and I SHOULD start reading some classic literature if I really want to start writing heavily again.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »

I've been reading the first half of the Book of The New Sun. This is my first time reading Gene Wolfe's work. It's pretty good so far.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2007, 05:44:49 AM »

Finished Last of The Wilds a while back. Quite enjoyed it, looking forward to the last installment. Going to start reading Mansfield Park or Peterpan in Scarlet this coming week.

Read the graphic novel Pride of Baghdad. It was good and with character, but kind of short if you ask me.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »

I hear ya on your frustration Dade. I've read so much fantasy/sci-fi over the years that I just dont know where to go for something truly GOOD anymore.
I've read two Neil Gaiman books, Good Omens(with Pratchet), and Neverwhere. Both were quirky, throw away fun. Thats all. I honestly didn't get much more than that out of them. I prefer more serious reading.
I've been tempted to start reading the Thomas Covenant books. Anyone with an opinion on these? I've heard a lot of good things.
I'm now reading Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, and it has been tough so far. I used to think these two could write. I'm about 100 pages in , and this is pretty crappy stuff so far. Plus, all the typos are irritating me.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
thebranca18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Then at the DEMANDING of a friend....picked up Tad Williams's Dragonbone Chair. Not sure what to think so far; I'm only about 40 pages in. Just in reading the foreward by Tad Williams himself I'm intrigued at the statement that as a reader....dont be so stupid as to assume you know what's going to happen, cause you're wrong.

That series starts out slow but it picks up steam about 150 pages in.  I think it's worth it.

Once
Code:
Simon leaves the Hayholt
anyway

If you don't like Jordan, I'm not sure if you'll like Williams though, he tends to be very descriptive and long winded as well.  Although I happen to like his characters a great deal better (less characters = more development).

If you're in the mood for something different, I recommend Guy Gavriel Kay.  Tigana is absolutely a great book.  Last Light of the Sun was great as well.  He likes to take history and sort of expand on it, I don't know how else to explain it.  The Lions of Al-Rassan is also really really good.[/code]
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2007, 12:24:28 PM »

Quote from: "thebranca18"
If you don't like Jordan, I'm not sure if you'll like Williams though, he tends to be very descriptive and long winded as well.  Although I happen to like his characters a great deal better (less characters = more development).

Yeah well I get the feeling Williams isnt going to be one of those assholes that introduces like fifty characters in about a hundred pages and expect you to remember everything about them, and then once you have them straight either kill them off or stop writing about them completely. Oh and then forget about writing about certain major characters for an entire book.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »

I started and finished Fight Club. Great book. I like the second person viewpoint. I think I'm going to attempt my own second-person story in the future.

I'm also reading The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills by Charles Bukowski. It's not as good as Burning In Water, Drowning In Flame, but it is still good so far. I've only read like 40 pages so far anyway.

Since I've acquired every published Kesey novel, I've decided to finally read them. I'm only 20 pages into Sometimes A Great Notion, but it's going well so far; just the introduction really, so it's hard to judge it.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »

I am slightly more than halfway through Mansfield Park which so far hasn't proved to be one of my more prefered novels by Jane Austen. There is a very entertaining quality to it but one can only take so much of reading about Mrs.Norris's trivial endeavours (I try not to skip them too many times).  

It's the sort of novel that I may enjoy more during a second incursion. I adore Fanny's humility and humbleness...it rather reminds me of Cinderella.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »

I finished A Darkling Plain. I was really impressed by it, a lot better than the two middle installments. It has a really impressive ending, which I'm so glad of because it's left the whole quartet on a high point. It's horrible when a really good book has a bad ending, because it tends to sour me on the entire thing.

I had a stupid dream

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »

I justg finished the first 2 Discworld novels, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.  Now I'm reading this book called The Amulet of Samarkand, part of some triology, once done with them I might read more Discworld.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »

My reading list for this semester is about 25 books long. I have no idea how I'm going to read them all. Starting with the shortest I think! So up first, is Animal Farm.

I had a stupid dream

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: