Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:47:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327393 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 257989 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »

You know the drill peoples.

I've just started reading American Gods because I read Sandman: Season of Mists in my graphic novels class and was interested in what else Neil Gaiman had done. I was told to start with American Gods. So far it is pretty entertaining.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:58:52 PM »

I was reading that too, but unfortunately I wound up sitting on my ass about that, and ultimately had to return it to the library before I was done. I bought one of his books with short stories though, and I intend to randomly read some of them later.

Also still have that giant Narnia tome to go through. That should be fun.
Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:06:03 AM »

After not being able to find the fourth book of The Runelords series by David Farland (which is an excellent series), I finally jumped on the bandwagon and picked up A Game of Thrones.  I'm about 300 pages in and hoping it gets more exciting as things move on.  Someone please reassure me that I'm not making a mistake in reading this book.

im gay
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:27:49 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
I was told to start with American Gods.

I don't know who told you that, but they obviously hate you. :P  Not that the book is bad (far from it), but out of all his stuff that I've read, it's by far the heaviest read.  There's a lot to chew on.  If I were to recommend a Gaiman book to start with, I'd say Neverwhere.  It's Alice in Wonderland by way of Tim Burton.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 03:49:09 AM »

I'm with Darkrider here - while American Gods isn't really bad, it's a bit too convoluted for it's own good. Neverwhere really is a much better starting point.

I haven't been reading much lately, unfortunently. When I was younger I used to read all the time, but recently other hobbies (like video games, anime and manga) have been taking up much of the time I used to spend reading books. The last book I read was The Count of Monte Cristo, which was totally awesome. I have A Feast for Crows waiting for me, but for some reason I'm not feeling very inclined to read it. Which is strange, as I'm a big fan of the previous A Song of Ice and Fire books. I read the first few chapters, but for some reason it never really grabbed a hold of me. Might be because I'm still disappointed after all the
Code:
resurrections
in the last book - I really hate that plot device.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 06:24:15 AM »

I just finished Sharpe's Tiger and am now going to start reading Sharpe's Triumph.
Onyx

Samba Lounge
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 07:23:36 AM »

It sounds hella generic and fanboyish, but I just finished Batman: Knightfall yesterday.  Until about 2/3 of the way through, it was good.

I'm in the middle of the Saga of the Swamp Thing (Alan Moore) now, which is some of the most hardcore shit I've ever read.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 12:34:16 PM »

I'm reading The Covenant Rising by Stan Nicholls. It's a fun read but kinda suffers from the Dragonlance Syndrome. It's got loads of action, and has cool characters, but the story just seems so unfleshed out. I read books like George Martin and get totally engrossed and then read this....and feel so unsatisfied.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »

Stll reading Assassins Quest by Robin Hobb. I'm finally getting towards the end, though. Most of the book moves very slow, but is now picking up. I will never read any more Robin Hobb books. It's not that they're bad, just too slooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
Oddly enough, the next book I have to read is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I just figured it would be a good starting point for Neil Gaiman.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 01:01:45 PM »

I read the first chapter of 'I'm Not Really Here' by Tim Allen. It's actually pretty funny. I like it.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 01:59:57 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Quote from: "Jimmy"
I was told to start with American Gods.

I don't know who told you that, but they obviously hate you. :P  Not that the book is bad (far from it), but out of all his stuff that I've read, it's by far the heaviest read.  There's a lot to chew on.

Jimmy = English Major. I'm used to heavy reads.
Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 02:01:43 PM »

Seems like things are really starting to pick up in A Game of Thrones after the Hand's Tourney.  I'm starting to like this book a lot.

im gay
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 07:11:33 PM »

Quote from: "Vilnius"
Seems like things are really starting to pick up in A Game of Thrones after the Hand's Tourney.  I'm starting to like this book a lot.

It seemed for me that it started off slow but it started kicking in and getting more awesome the more you got through the books until FFC.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 04:34:01 AM »

Recently bought: "Priestess of the White" by Trudi Canavan. Slightly more than a hundred pages into the book...so far, so good.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 07:39:34 AM »

I'm supposed to be reading Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwall. However it looks like a piece of shit so I can't be bothered.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: