Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330113 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 273520 times)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2007, 06:58:59 AM »

Twenty-five?! That's murder, even for a book lover!

Finished Mansfield Park and I take back what I said-- with the ending in mind, I don't think I would enjoy reading it again. Fanny's humbleness has become irritating passiveness and the whole scenario makes me feel a little bit depressed.

Also read and finished Peter Pan in Scarlet. I liked it a lot! Perhaps not as charming as J.M. Barrie's timeless creation but it retained his child-like charm as well as the allure that made Peter so wonderful. The first half of the novel resembled Barrie's style the most and the last half managed well enough without disrupting the original characters' dispositions.

Naturally, I overlooked anything that might have seem shifty or contradictory with the ending of the original Peter Pan (which states how Wendy never flew again to Neverland once she was a grown up, or something of the sort).

Not sure what to read next. Another Austen book? I'm interested in picking up something by Terry Pratchett, his books are supposed to be fun.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »

Started Cell by Stephen King last Tuesday, finished it on Friday. I have to say, as retarded as the premise sounds, it's a really good read. Very engaging.

I'm attempting to force myself to read the first book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, but I keep getting bored and disinterested.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2007, 12:19:56 AM »

Recently went back to my roots so to say.  I recently finished a book called Miguel Street by a Trinidadian author, V.S. Naipaul.  Excellent book, very funny and for me it was very insightful.  It definitely had the island feel and I could feel my childhood summer days return to me.  I will definitely try to read some more of his stuff.

Currently I'm tying up so loose ends and finishing books I nearly did.  I finished up Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and I just started the second part of Kafka on the Shore.  I really liked the ending to Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.  It was conclusive, but at the same time not.  There is definitely some key items looming over the readers head, but there is enough closure to make it satisfying.  

I'm also looking for some good suggestions. I've been trying to read sttories related to my major, East Asian Studies, and also to my heritage, Carribean.  I've been pretty good as far as Japanese and somewhat with Korean, but if anyone knows any Chinese stories and authors that they'd suggest that would be great.  Also Carribean, mainly Haitian and Trinidadian.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2007, 08:35:59 AM »

I finished Harry Potter V about an hour ago. I'm trying to finish off the series before school starts up again and I won't have access to them while I'm away. Goodness, I think I finally caught the bug.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »

Sometimes A Great Notion was just too slow going for me. I read the first 100 pages and it just didn't do it for me, so for now it is on hold. Instead, I have started The Dharma Bums. I've read 60 pages thus far and it is great. I really enjoyed the way Kerouac wrote in On the Road, but the book didn't ever go anywhere. This book has a much better feel to it and I can say I'm already in love with it. It certainly makes me want to read more Kerouac.

I'm also making progress in Allen Ginsberg's Collected Poems 1947-1980, The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills by Charles Bukowski, and A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. I probably marked at least 3 poems by Ginsberg today, which is rare, since out of the 300+ pages of him I've read I've only marked perhaps 20 in total.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2007, 06:07:17 AM »

I finished Animal Farm. It was a little underwhelming to be honest. I was just surprised by how OBVIOUS it all was. Orwell didn't bother dressing it up too much. That's not a huge criticism, but I do think more could have been done with the idea.

Up next: A Series of Unfortunate Events Book I

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »

Just finished The Stealers of Dreams. It did have a proper ending, unlike most of the Doctor Who books. Dunno what the hell I'm gonna read next, though. Hidden Empire and Shade's Children look equally interesting...
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2007, 06:32:47 AM »

I'm now halfway through the first Series of Unfortunate Events.

Not as good as I expected to be honest. It's been hyped as super-imaginative and everything, but I've seen no evidence of that yet.

I had a stupid dream

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2007, 07:43:23 AM »

Reading Emma by Jane Austen. Well...re-reading. I last read it sometime during the middle of last year.

It's a good read, no doubt.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2007, 02:52:28 AM »

Blazing through Harry Potter VI and I am wondering what I should go for next once I finish. Maybe I'll finish off Dracula since I have started it already.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2007, 07:12:45 PM »

I finished the Dharma Bums. It's one of the best books I've ever read. Anyone interested in the Beats, Buddhism or spontaneous prose should check this out.

I've decided to follow it up with Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. I've only read the first chapter so far, but I can tell it's gearing up to be great.

I also finished The Days Run Away Like wild Horses Over the Hills by Charles Bukowski. I rather like about 20 poems out of the book, which is the average out of a collection this size. I can't decide if I want to read more Ferlinghetti or Whitman next.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2007, 07:02:23 AM »

I'm now reading The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro.

It's very slow moving, but quite enjoyable.

I had a stupid dream

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »

Finished Dragons of the Dwarven depths. It was quite mediocre. Then again, I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. I imagine I'll still pick up the other books in the series, if only for Raistlins presence.

I've started reading Lord Fouls Bane. I've read about 10 pages so far. Leprosy is NOT good. I am wondering how all this is going to work into a fantasy novel.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »

Just about halfway through Shade's Children. Garth Nix is proving to be the kind of author who can write for different genres and still be just as good.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:45 PM »

Amber, bitches.

More specifically, "The Guns of Avalon".  Even when fantasy is starting to get dull and predictable to me, I always enjoy the fuck out of the Amber books.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: