Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 01:55:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327935 Posts in 13427 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 260295 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2007, 04:38:32 PM »

Checking out Microserfs now. Will hopefully read A Game of Thrones after this, but I probably jinxed myself by saying that.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »

I finished The Remains of the Day. Very, very well-crafted novel. Really made me realise how severely my own writing lacks subtlety.

Up next is Carry On, Jeeves, by P.G. Wodehouse.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2007, 03:16:12 PM »

Been taking a short break from the books, but visited Kino recently.

Bought "Political Philosophy: A Short Introduction" for some bedtime reading...it's a brief and entertaining intro to the subject. Also gives me a chance to look up all those bloody political terms that get me turned about when I'm not paying attention. So far, so good.

Also got "Spirit Gate" (fantasy) but I'm gonna start that only after I'm done with The Kite Runner.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »

About 120 pages or so into Lord Fouls Bane(see sig).
This has been..."interesting" so far. Donaldson is going to great lengths to make Covenant the ultimate Anti-hero. This is going to sound harsh, but I'm already tired of reading about Leprosy. I know that's what makes this different than other fantasy books, but I hope it evens out as the book(s) go on.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2007, 12:00:50 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
Donaldson is going to great lengths to make Covenant the ultimate Anti-hero.

I found the same thing in his Gap series.

He is a great writer, but he tries too hard.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »

Finished Shade's Children - while it wasn't that great, this book did have some interesting ideas and was quite different from other books I've read in the angsty-teenagers-caught-in-the-struggle-against-a-dystopian-soceity genre. Shame Garth Nix isn't a particularly good writer, as this and his other books could be brilliant if written by someone like say, Phillip Pullman.
Bluehaze

l3lu3haz3
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2007, 07:18:30 AM »

umm, reading Phenomenology of Perception by Maurice Merleau-Ponty--pretty cool so far; he's one of the main followers of Husserlian philosophy.  Mmm, also I'm going through "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" but G.H. Hardy, updated by E. M. Wright--it's pretty much a classic in number theory, and although about the first 8 chapters or so are review, it's very clear to read and understand and really shows some interesting perspectives on how to derive some certain proofs : )  So if you read through that, you should be very well versed in that area of math

Proud member of the SFA.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »

Aaarrgh!!

The Kite-Runner is driving me crazy. Everytime I read it, I feel like putting it down, even though it's extremely "read-able" (the simple and direct English makes it so). I've forced myself through some depressing and dry books before, such as Bronte's Jane Eyre, but I think I'm going to put this one down for now.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh was pretty good. I think I've decided that he can write beautifully and create very interesting characters but his plots are only average.

I also finished the first half of Wild Dreams of a New Beginning by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Not as good as A Coney Island of the Mind, but it had a few great poems.

My girlfriend gave me two books to read; 1984 and Lolita. I think I'm going to read 1984 first, so I can compare it to Brave New World.

There are two books I really want to read sometime soon. The first is The Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller. I read the first four pages of it and was blown away. Also, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston seems interesting enough.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »

During this past week of bed-bound convalescence, I was able to catch up on my reading.  Or in one case, try to catch up. :P

I plowed through "Kushiel's Scion" in a few days time, and I absolutely loved it.  I wasn't sure how I'd like having the protagonist change in a series that is told from a first-person perspective, but it was okay.  I guess it helps that the new protagonist was introduced back in book three and wasn't some random individual out of nowhere a la the Corwin/Merlin shift in the Amber books.

After that, I decided it was high time I had a round with good ol' Robert Jordan again.  I almost bailed on "Knife of Dreams" early, when I realized that I was twenty pages in but didn't recognize a single one of the proper nouns I had seen. :P  It started coming back to me the more I read, but it's still kinda hazy.  But since I started reading this shit when I was ten or eleven, that's bound to happen.  I'm probably gonna have to start Googling some of these names, though. :P

Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2007, 11:07:58 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"

Up next is Carry On, Jeeves, by P.G. Wodehouse.

I see the Jeeves omnibus in almost every book store i go into, but have never actually known anyone to read them, I will be interested to know what you make of them.

Right now I am sticking firmly to my course reading; The Scarlet Letter feels like a real kick in the teeth though. Heart of Darkness is growing on me the more I contemplate it, and I can't wait to get further into "If on a winter's night a traveller", so its not all bad.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2007, 03:20:33 PM »

I told my girlfriend about my interest in Henry Miller and she let me borrow The Tropic of Cancer, so that is what I'm reading right now.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:07 AM »

I've been ill the past few days, far too tired and dizzy to read.

Now I am better, I am not starting Wodehouse because we're not studying it yet, and I need to read things in order OR THEY ACTUALLY YELL AT ME.

The uni keep adding books to my list :(

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »

Been too tired to read anything properly, so I've half-read Eagle Strike by Anthony Horowitz and Wrong About Japan by Peter Carey. The latter I could probably read in a week if I read if I tried hard enough, so maybe I'll continue with that one.

Other than that, my reading list consists of at least 20 books I've never got around to reading yet. That'll be my reading done for the year.
Mauru

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2007, 11:00:43 PM »

Well I love reading psychology books, I read once "Autobiography of a Schizophrenic girl" I loved that book, it describes the poor girl experience in such detail, but the content of the book is quite strong, supposedly non-functioning adults shouldn't read this, but I don't see why not? also the classical short story "The yellow wallpaper" is such a joy, about a women in depression that goes into madness.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: