Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329787 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 271295 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: December 21, 2011, 02:57:31 AM »

Glad you're liking Dance, din.  Shame though we'll never see Asshai according to him(I asked him directly in a QnA session).

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 21, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »

Check it out, y'all - the Wheel of Time series is finally done!
https://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/status/149486690447273984

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: December 22, 2011, 05:04:56 AM »

Finally. Took bloody long enough.

I fell out of love with that series a very long time ago, but morbid curiosity as to how it's finally going to end is very likely going to prompt a re-read.

Sometime next year, perhaps.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1098 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »

I read Ready Player One, which is essentially just a vehicle for video game and 80s pop culture references.

I loved it.  Very easy read, only 350 pages or so.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: December 24, 2011, 03:00:45 AM »

Late to the party, but I realized I'd had The Name of the Wind sitting on my Whisperwind account for nearly a year. Bought it on a whim after reading an excerpt, just before A Wise Man's Fear came out, and was quickly distracted by something else. Being done exams and having a shiny new Android with a Kindle app to read it on, I started reading.

Two and a half days later, I've just finished devouring A Wise Man's Fear, too. Damn fine reading. The wait for The Doors of Stone is going to be excruciating in a way only the wait between Harry Potter books was. Or Dresden Files Books. Except longer. Likely wont see it until 2014; here's hoping Rothfuss manages to knock it out quick and we get it in the next year (ha).
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 24, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »

Anybody here read the Hunger Games books?  Because I just found out kind of what they're about, and they sound like something I'd really be interested in.

—Kurt Vonnegut
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: December 24, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »

Anybody here read the Hunger Games books?  Because I just found out kind of what they're about, and they sound like something I'd really be interested in.

I have and I love them. The first book is by far the best but it's an altogether entertaining trilogy. Worth it and you'll get through it quickly. :)

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: December 25, 2011, 05:49:33 PM »

I'm taking a break from Dance with Dragons and I spent the weekend reading Sakuri by our very own RPGFanner ZeronHitaro. 

It's a fun little book.  Definitely a nice snack or treat, like a candy bar or something.  If it were in anime or manga form, I could see it having a mainstream following.  Sure I had to suspend my disbelief a little, but that's par for the course with a lot of anime or manga.  Sakuri herself was a cool character- she reminded me a bit of Y.T. from Snow Crash.  And the "Metamorphers" reminded me of other sentient weapon type things like the Omnitrix in Ben-10 or the Swordians in Tales of Destiny.  I have to say, I literally LOL'd when I saw the words "flaming-duck-meteor" in the text.  I dug the ending too. 

I started "Broadcast" by our very own Degolas and I'm digging the atmosphere so far.  I definitely feel grimy and gritty. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: January 02, 2012, 12:36:40 AM »

11/22/63 is the best book Stephen King has written in a really long time.

150 pages left out of 850. I've ripped through the thing in about 3 days.

Recommended.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 03, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

Figured out how to check books out form the library on my Kindle, and downloaded a trilogy called Maze Runner.  I'm well into book 2 at this point, and it feels like an action-oriented Series of Unfortunate Events.  As soon as something good happens, something else bad comes along. :D  But that doesn't make it a bad series, just dark.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: January 04, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »

Anyone reading 11/22/63  by S. King?? I'm only about 1/4 into it but it's pretty cool so far.  I'm sure most know that it's about the Kennedy assassination but it crosses over into another of his books(as a few do).  That's a really great thing about his books, a lot revolves around the Dark Tower.  Anyway, It's pretty slow going at the moment but i'm sure i'll love or hate the end...as usual.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: January 04, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »

Look two posts up, Esper.

I'm about 300 pages into 2666. I never know what you're up to Bolano.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: January 05, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »

I'm reading for School...

- A Textbook of "Adult Development & Aging"; AKA, a course on old people and how they whither/get mistreated and how to look on the other, brighter side or fix their oldness with science.
- Cognitive Psych, it's less convoluted and not done over 2 columns, with few pictures.  It's also nice to have a psych text less than 500-600 pages. :D
- Medieval Art text, also follows with an Islamic Art book.  Kind of excited for this one.  Should be tough, but interesting.
- Visual Studies.  Different from art history in it's pretentiousness.  Y'know, one of those courses about the greater meaning of what we see in media forms

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1108 on: January 06, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »

I just finished reading "Broadcast," the debut novel from our very own Degolas.  I really enjoyed that book.  The theme hit very close to home for me.  See, it takes place in a dystopian future where music is outlawed and the possession and distribution of music is a crime punishable by death.  Since I live, breathe, eat, and sleep music deafness is a fate worse than death for me.  The atmosphere in the book was very gritty and I felt really grimy most of the time, like I really was part of an unsafe, unpopular, unflattering, but necessary underground rebellion.  Some of the action scenes were a bit hard to follow since they were chaotic and disorienting to read, but I think that was the point.  The narrator speaking in a colloquial dialect was immersive too. 

The only glaring issue I had with the book was that the Kindle format had a different font for the second half of the book (for no reason I could think of) and sometimes there were random blank pages here and there.  But that's more a fault of the format than the work itself. 

It was worth the 6 bucks I paid for it. 

Now, back to Dance With Dragons.  I needed a break from that series and I'm back in with gusto. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:55 AM »

I just finished reading "Broadcast," the debut novel from our very own Degolas.  I really enjoyed that book.  The theme hit very close to home for me.  See, it takes place in a dystopian future where music is outlawed and the possession and distribution of music is a crime punishable by death.  Since I live, breathe, eat, and sleep music deafness is a fate worse than death for me.  The atmosphere in the book was very gritty and I felt really grimy most of the time, like I really was part of an unsafe, unpopular, unflattering, but necessary underground rebellion.  Some of the action scenes were a bit hard to follow since they were chaotic and disorienting to read, but I think that was the point.  The narrator speaking in a colloquial dialect was immersive too. 

The only glaring issue I had with the book was that the Kindle format had a different font for the second half of the book (for no reason I could think of) and sometimes there were random blank pages here and there.  But that's more a fault of the format than the work itself. 

It was worth the 6 bucks I paid for it. 

Now, back to Dance With Dragons.  I needed a break from that series and I'm back in with gusto. 

Okay, sir, your entire first paragraph just sold me on this book. I am totally checking this out.

On a somewhat related note, you should totally check out Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, if you haven't already. Same concept (music being made illegal), but injected with obscene humor and one of the most beautiful instrumentals ever recorded. Watermelon in Easter Hay ALONE makes this album worth having.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: