Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:15:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330094 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 273442 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: May 24, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

All of the peasants were transported there from the city of Metropolis on one of the DC multiverse worlds before it was destroyed during the 1985 crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths.  They used to live on a world with superheroes, and were used to losing relatives and having the city destroyed on a weekly basis, so despite their current living conditions, they still consider it an upgrade.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1231 on: May 25, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »

He is on the list of people to read on my quest to dig fantasy books.
I don't know if I could call him fantasy, people call his books weird fiction, which I think is more suited for him.  If you want fantasy books that don't ride on Tolkien tropes I recommend GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire and Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I've only read Perdido Street Station by him, but I do recommend. It's not as deep as it can appear, but the imagination is fantastic.
Perdido Street station is good, but his post Bas Lag books, Unlundun, The City and The City, Kraken, Embassytown, and so far Railsea, are REALLY good.  And Embassytown(which is hardcore sci fi) is incredibly deep.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:51:09 PM by Logick » Logged

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 25, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1233 on: May 25, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »

Lots of people commented on the Penny Arcade folks view of Mieville's work, realizing they mainly read "mainstream" sci fi novels and such, I'm guessing that his books are just not meant for them.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »

Aren't Mieville's sales enough to call him "mainstream" at this point? I mean once you've won some Hugo awards you probably qualify right? I don't know I'm just asking.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1235 on: May 26, 2012, 01:55:28 AM »

Aren't Mieville's sales enough to call him "mainstream" at this point? I mean once you've won some Hugo awards you probably qualify right? I don't know I'm just asking.

The penny arcade guy only read half of city and the city and didn't understand it and accused him of being smug.   Mieville's books are geninuely different people call them Weird Fiction.  This is why I love his books, while alot of writers are formulaic, he paints a different world, he's like the Frank Zappa of scifi/fantasy :P.  I also love how even those the Bas Lag books made him known, he no longer writes books in that world, he's not obliged to.

~Malcolm X
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1236 on: May 26, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »

Took me a while to read the last 3rd or so of a Clash of Kings. formulating my thoughts. Certainly a wild ending.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 26, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »

Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. WTF @ Zala.

Bought The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest but I think 120 pages is enough for one day.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1238 on: May 27, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »

I like the sequel, "The Girl That Made a Ham Sandwich"

======================================================================================

So A Clash of Kings:

Enjoyed it very much, except for a few points. I liked the structure of the book except how there'll be something going on in one characters "chapter" and then the book moves on to another character and we're left to find out what happened in the other in a pretty mundane dialog between characters. "such and such has done X and Mr. B has been doing Y..." etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by Yoda » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1239 on: May 28, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »

Ashok Banker's Ramayana is fantastic, but I'm putting that on hold to read Mistborn.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:42:00 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1240 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »

Finishing up Sandman book 4: Season of Mists. It's been bizarre as hell, but fun. I'll keep going.
I got my next book in the mail yesterday. Cavern of Black Ice by J.V. Jones. First book in the Sword of Shadows series. The name sounds crazy generic, but I saw all sorts of acclaim for them, so I decided to go for it. Anyone out there read them?

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1241 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »

Been reading Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains lately, and after a rocky start, I've warmed up to it. I'm about half-way, and I think I'm finally starting to understand where the characters are in relation to each other, cause there sure as hell wasn't a map included to give any indication where these places are. I really enjoy how he has set up the novel; the main character has his viewpoint chapter ever odd chapter, so chapter 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. are the main char's chapters, while the even chapters alternate between the other two main characters, with one having his on chaps 2, 6, 10 etc., and the other having hers on 4, 8, 12 etc. It keeps things fresh, without distancing the events so far that I don't remember what the hell is going on anymore.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1242 on: June 03, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »

one of the things I love the best about A Song of Ice and Dice:

(this isn't really a spoiler but i play safe)

I really like how semi-important characters disappear and are still referenced. We're left to wonder if they're alive or making an impact in some way somewhere. Benjen Stark, Ser Barristan to name a few. 
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1243 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »

Ok, so I decided to read the second Hunger Games book before Cavern, as I'll get through it a lot faster. I'm only a short ways in, but I already kind of know where it's headed. Let's hope it throws me for a loop or two.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1244 on: June 06, 2012, 07:04:17 AM »

I'm reading the new Dark Tower book; The Wind Through The Keyhole.  So far, so good.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: