Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 06:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337741 Posts in 13830 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 296745 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:30 PM »

Fuck Robert Jordan and fuck Stephen King. Two of the most overhyped asshat authors out there. So fucking descriptive it quickly turns into monotonous and terrible.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 29, 2012, 12:05:41 AM »

I take it you've never read Tom "Technical Blueprint" Clancy...  

Jordan and King both have their problems, but they both deserve to sell lots of books.  There's a reason that so many people stuck with WoT even through a few books where nothing really happened.  And I'm not sure King's ever written a decent ending, but the stuff that gets you to that crummy ending is so good that it (usually) makes it OK.

Almost forgot that I got some books this week that I've been looking for forever and a day.  Two books of non-sci-fi short mysteries by Isaac Asimov.  I probably could have found them at any point if I'd gone hunting online, but I didn't want to get them that way.  Very happy that my persistence paid off.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:07:43 AM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 29, 2012, 12:41:49 AM »

I only got through one book of the Wheel of Time. Don't see myself getting to the rest anytime soon.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: June 29, 2012, 12:54:06 AM »

King is like ME3.

It is one of the best books I've read. But yeah... the ending was something else for sure alright.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 29, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »

Now imagine if that ending got an extended cut.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:32:29 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1265 on: June 29, 2012, 01:32:41 AM »

He'd probably tell them to fuck off from his private radio station.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1266 on: June 29, 2012, 01:33:37 AM »

I don't have so much a problem with King's endings so much as I do with his pacing and dialog choices. A lot of his stories have too much pointless chatter (He's probably one of the few people deserving to have his works hit with the 'Get on with it!' joke) and he uses far, far too much swearing. I know harsh language is part of the culture (and sometimes just bluntly part of how a character will talk based on personality) and all but there are certain numerical thresholds you cannot cross without looking like an 11-year old who just discovered you can type **** on a keyboard and thinks it hilarious.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1267 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »

I sat down under a tree in my garden and read through to the end of Mockinjay:
*mild spoilers*

I really thought this book was a bit of a disaster. It felt like the author didn't know where to go with the story after leaving the arena. We get a bunch of random scenarios that don't constitute much of anything happening, or story progression. When we finally DO get to the point of moving forward, she(the author) falls back on what she was obviously so proud of from the first two books. It makes very little sense.
Then we have the whole Gale/Peeta thing which kind of just drove me nuts.
I had heard that the ending was depressing, but it really didn't feel that way to me. It was a natural extension of the story. I wasn't particularly happy with it, but I can accept it. I just wish we had gotten a little more info on what's going on with a few of the characters.

Playing: Alan Wake
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 05, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »

Yeah, I only got about halfway through that book before I gave up on it.  Just read chapter summaries of the rest.

—Kurt Vonnegut
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1269 on: July 14, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

i kinda took a break from reading to jam through dragons dogma, then i finished the last third of the third GoT book and what a last third it was! i sorta feel like the first book introduces all the characters the second kinda gets the whole ball rolling and the third it hit it's stride. after that i picked up mockingjay blew through that in a day. i'd have to agree that there were moments where i was like where the fuck is this going? the end had too many moments where i either questioned the characters continuity of motives or i questioned the plausibility of the situation. basically from the point in district two till you get to the final battle. the end was satisfying to me it just felt wonky to get there.

i just started book four of GoT yesterday. this weekend i read a bunch of comics i read the first eight issues of "midnight, mass." i'm four issues into "saga" by brian k vaugh the same dude who did the "y the last man" series, shit's super good. it's sorta weird fantasy sci-fi supernatural with a really human storyline. i read the first issue of "revival" which is about people coming back from the dead but so far it's not your typical zombie thing. the revivers look/act like normal people. it's a super interesting premise so i'm excited to see where that goes. i read the forth trade of "sweet tooth" it's about a plague that kills most of humanity and the only children being born are animal human hybrids the main character has deer antlers and ears it deals with xenophobia in a cool way. and last but not least i'm on the 6th trade of "transmetropolitan." which is pretty much how i imagine the future would be...only if hunter s tompson were there to bitch about it.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1270 on: July 14, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

I'm about 1/2 way through GoT #3. I agree that taht book is sweet.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 15, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

Finished GoT book one, I love the ending. :D

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

Blog post title says it all:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1101/Today-I-got-up-and-I-did-not-have-a-Wheel-of-Time-book-to-work-on.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1273 on: August 01, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »

It's been over a year since I read a WoT book and I could only vaguely tell you what was going on. They're not very compelling and it seems like shit happens just for the sake of it.

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1274 on: August 04, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »

One thing that really pisses me off about fantasy literature is the need to have multi-part epics that read like fan novelizations of some D&D campaign. If it was short, maybe, but last time I checked the fantasy section in a bookstore all I could see are series that span over 8-9 books and from a quick glance seem very amateurish.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: