Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 06:50:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327633 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 259294 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »

I'm making progress in Mistborn book 1.  It's good, but I have limited time to embrace my literacy. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: September 16, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »

Currently reading Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks. Good stuff.

Enjoy the Mistborn books, Din. They are great.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »

Just started A Storm of Swords.... everyone everywhere has made my expectations high for this book (and not so much for AFfC and ADWD).

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 01, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road a couple of weeks ago.  It was awesome.  Now, I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods.  It's an analysis of the culture that brought about superhero comics and such.  Good overall, with flashes of brilliance here and there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »

Loved the road. a chilling read for sure. he creates excellent tension. the part where they find the captives is terrifying
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 01, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »

Absolutely.  And as I told someone somewhere, I really didn't feel like anything was inevitable.  Had no idea how it was going to end.  I was pretty sure they wouldn't find the land of rainbows and puppies, but that was about the only thing I thought was off the table.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:16 PM »

I finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King last night and enjoyed it overall. Onto Hearts in Atlantis now. I can't bring myself to get ahead in Game of Thrones because I want to watch it unfold on TV.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: November 22, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »

Haven't had much time to read lately, but I did manage to eke out chapter 30 in the first Mistborn book.  Great chapter, great book, but I get little time to read because gym, work, and the band I'm currently playing in are really demanding.  

I had a few pennies left on a gift card so I bought this "American manga" for my Kindle fire called Vampire Cheerleaders.  It's as cornball as it sounds, but I found it amusing.  Amusing enough that once I collect enough change from the couch cushions, I'll buy Vampire Cheerleaders 2.  If it's just as good, I'll scrounge for more change to snag Vampire Cheerleaders Must Die! next summer.  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:21:53 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1298 on: November 22, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »

I just finished Heir to the Empire, the first of the Thrawn trilogy (Star Wars). What a fantastic book. Some of the prose was a little bit cliched, but man was that a fun book to read. Just picked up the other two!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: November 23, 2012, 04:48:46 AM »

I just finished Heir to the Empire, the first of the Thrawn trilogy (Star Wars). What a fantastic book. Some of the prose was a little bit cliched, but man was that a fun book to read. Just picked up the other two!

that's a fucking blast to the past. ... I remembered loving that series...then hating the ending
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: November 29, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »

About halfway into Hearts in Atlantis. I can't believe I've overlooked it for so long seeing as how I probably only have around 6 or 7 King books left to read. I had no idea how much it has to deal with the Tower. So great:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »

The last book I finished was The Cassandra Project. It was interesting in concept, but the story didn't capture me. Anyway, it was still a good way to spend two hours. Currently reading Lord of Mountains right now. It's alright, it just took too long for anything to really happen in the book.

In Korean, I'm reading 미실 (Mishil). It's about a woman from the Silla Kingdom (back when Korea was divided into three countries) trying to become the queen. She was my favorite character in Queen Seon Deok, so I wanted to read a book where she was the main character.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: December 17, 2012, 07:50:51 AM »

I recently finished "Desperate Passage," a historical non-fiction based on the Donner Party, which I'd highly recommend if you're at all interested in survival stories.  Despite the genre, I usually loathe non-fiction, the book is extremely suspenseful and some parts border on horror, along with some mystery when you get into the later details.  But it is also quite brutal and descriptive, so if you're squeamish, avoid it.

If you're unfamiliar with the Donner Party, or have only heard that "they were a group of pioneers who got stuck in the Sierra Nevadas over the winter and had to resort to cannibalism" then you'll be amazed at how much you don't know.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: December 31, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »

I'm currently reading Stephen R Donaldson's Chaos and Order, the fourth book (of five) in Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap series.  This series, while not for the light of heart, is one of the best pieces of fiction I've ever read.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 01, 2013, 01:49:45 AM »

Wow high praise DW. I am a huge fan of Thomas Covenant so will def check this out.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: