Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 03:58:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329390 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 268096 times)
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: January 01, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »

Wow high praise DW. I am a huge fan of Thomas Covenant so will def check this out.

If you aren't the kind of person who absolutely hates sci-fi, I would strongly recommend it.  Let me know what you think when you start.  Just be warned that the series doesn't really kick off until book two and that many find book one difficult to get through (it's the most stomach-churning).

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »

Oh my goodness, this thread is still here!

Anyway, I'm currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin, and No Easy Day by Mark Owen. Only reading both because I received them for free, but I'm hoping they'll keep me amused for a while.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1307 on: January 08, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »

Finished A Game of Thrones last night.

Want to get through the second and third books by the time the third season starts.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 08, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »

I've spent a lot more time playing games recently, and less time reading, but my copy of the final Wheel of Time book will be arriving at my house today... ready for me to pick up when I get back there on Thursday. :(  So if anybody spoils it for me, I'm gonna be an unhappy camper.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: January 12, 2013, 09:49:54 AM »

I've finished Donaldson's Gap Cycle (Here's a review on my blog), and since then I've been on a huge sci-fi binge.  Right now I'm reading Asimov's The Naked Sun.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:28:07 AM by Desert Walker » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: January 12, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »

Ah, classic Asimov.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who still thinks he's worth reading. :)

I've got my copy of A Memory of Light, but haven't been able to start it yet.  Decided I couldn't risk getting stuff spoiled for me on this one, so I'd better get it right away.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1311 on: January 12, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »

Trust me, join a sci fi/fantasy literature board and you will see that plenty of people still appreciate Asimov. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: January 12, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »

Just finished reading the first Redwall book by Brian Jacques. I remember seeing them in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of my local bookstore as a kid and being curious. I saw a copy at work so I snapped it up. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It is definitely geared to 10-14 year olds I'd say, but it was an enjoyable read with likeable, if somewhat flat, characters and a fun story. I'll pick up Mossflower later this month.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: January 14, 2013, 02:22:50 AM »

Ah, classic Asimov.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who still thinks he's worth reading. :)

I've got my copy of A Memory of Light, but haven't been able to start it yet.  Decided I couldn't risk getting stuff spoiled for me on this one, so I'd better get it right away.

I tore through the Robot and Foundation series back in HS. Excellent reads. Foundation and Earth was amazing.

Good storytelling without being needlessly 1000pages a book, a lesson modern authors should learn.
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1314 on: January 14, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »

Currently reading Robert Heinlein: In Dialogue With His Century, Vol. 1 by William H. Patterson.  A biography of Heinlein is right up my alley right now.  I just hope the second volume (which deals with the more relevant period of his life) comes out soon.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »

Good storytelling without being needlessly 1000pages a book, a lesson modern authors should learn.

I'm glad you included "needlessly."  I'm about 200 pages into A Memory of Light, and it's moving at a pretty darned good clip.  Nynaeve has shown up a couple of times so far, and I don't think she's tugged her braid once!

—Kurt Vonnegut
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1316 on: January 15, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »

Currently in the middle of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. So far, so good. After this I'll be reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes on a friend's recommendation.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1317 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »

Currently in the middle of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. So far, so good. After this I'll be reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes on a friend's recommendation.

You are going to be experiencing a great deal of good reading for the foreseeable future. American Gods, also by Neil Gaiman, is probably my favorite of his books.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »

I'm glad you included "needlessly."  I'm about 200 pages into A Memory of Light, and it's moving at a pretty darned good clip.  Nynaeve has shown up a couple of times so far, and I don't think she's tugged her braid once!

HAHAHAH. You fucking nailed it. I gave up on that series in book 4 I think. All the world building can't make up for the horrible characters and Rand is basically a big twat. The gripes in this article sum up my feelings pretty damn well.
http://io9.com/5975831/the-wheel-of-time-rolls-to-a-stop-io9s-review-of-a-memory-of-light
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: January 15, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »

Speaking of dense fantasy, I've been pushing myself through Tad Williams' Shadowmarch. Part 1 of a quadrilogy, I've got to say, not a lot has happened. I'm about 2/3 the way through and it looks like things are finally starting pick up, and the one character who got on my nerves is finally becoming interesting. I like Tad Williams, so I figure I'll give the second book a shot after this, but as of right now, my next novel is gonna be A Feast for Crows. I wanna catch up completely on ASoIaF by the start of the new season.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: