Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 10:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331704 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 280335 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1350 on: April 29, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »

But then again - if you enjoy detailed descriptions of what is in the larder at any given moment, you may very much enjoy these books. Far be it from me to say what is "bad" or "good" - but books 4 and 5 are definitely "different" in terms of pace, attention to minutiae, and pages spent describing what people are eating.

Also, I think it is fair to warn you that the "main" characters in the sense I'm guessing you mean it are not in book 4, so steel yourself accordingly if you decide to press on.

Fair comments and that is a disappointing turn for sure... but man I'm too invested to not know what's up. If that's the case then it'd be interesting to know how the show handles such a departure in the future.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:29:31 PM by Yoda » Logged
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 29, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »

Fair comments and that is a disappointing turn for sure... but man I'm too invested to not know what's up.

And another one bites the dust. :-)

To be fair though, if I could go back in time 13 years ago when Storm of Swords came out and say "seriously, stop reading after this one, you'll regret it"... well, I wouldn't have listened either.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1352 on: April 29, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »

I looked at the titles of the first few chapters and was disheartened to see "The Prophet' and "someone else" but the sight of Cersei and Brienne held my chin up.

I refuse to believe it's anywhere as bad as WoT.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1353 on: April 29, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »

Feast of Crows was a bit of a slog, but still pretty darn good compared to many other series. I would never call it bad, by any stretch. The real problem is that it's missing certain perspectives. And the ones you get in turn are not a fair trade.
Like many others, I just had to keep going. Fortunately, I found book 5 a bit better. Especially the latter half.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »

Feast of Crows was a bit of a slog, but still pretty darn good compared to many other series. I would never call it bad, by any stretch. The real problem is that it's missing certain perspectives. And the ones you get in turn are not a fair trade.
Like many others, I just had to keep going. Fortunately, I found book 5 a bit better. Especially the latter half.

See, there ya go. A point for the other side.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1355 on: April 30, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

Yeah, I've heard arguments for both sides for AFfC. My bf liked it a lot, but Brienne is one of his fav characters, and Cersei is too interesting to pass up a chance to peer into her character. I started AFfC recently myself, and I have to admit, the "Prophet" chapter is pretty damn interesting.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1356 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »

I needed something more brief so I started up At the Mountains of Madness on the train to work yesterday.

That probably has to be the best title of a book ever. I also love that it referenced another book on my shelf I need to read:

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 30, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »

That is a good book, you will enjoy it.

The actual name of "Arthur Gordon Pym" is "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", which is even more awesome.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1358 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »

That is a good book, you will enjoy it.

The actual name of "Arthur Gordon Pym" is "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", which is even more awesome.

Very true.

I'm doing something I don't usually do, reading two books at once. To test out my new kindle I got Out of the Silent Planet.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 06, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

I've heard a lot of people say ADWD is a bit better than AFFC, actually. And I find both Cersei and Brienne really interesting, so I'm willing to give AFFC a try - besides, I already own it.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1360 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »

After rifling through 40 something pages of Out of the Silent Planet on the train today I'm enthralled.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1361 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »

^An awesome reed
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1362 on: May 22, 2013, 05:52:07 AM »

I finished Clash of Kings and started Storm of Swords this afternoon, so I'm a bit behind you.

Since there's two weeks to the next episode, I have been heavily encouraged to try and catch up and outpace this season before the last two episodes by a friend who has read the books.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1363 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »

anyone read Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel?

Goosey?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 24, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »

I read it - thought it was pretty good stuff.  Long, and I'll admit that it dragged at times, but good the rest of the time.  It's got an unusual style, but unusual isn't necessarily bad.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: