Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 03:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340876 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 304500 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: May 24, 2013, 12:31:35 AM »

live people ignore the strange and unusual. I myself, am strange and unusual.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

Finished Under the Dome and 11/22/63 by Stephen King . I really enjoyed Under the Dome even though I thought the ending kind of sucked. Almost wished they had just left everything a mystery.

I also enjoyed reading 11/22/63 although I preferred the first half of the book. It may have been different if I knew more about JFK and Oswald beforehand. I still thought it was a great read though. While the ending seemed dissapointing at first, I can't really see how it could have been done differently.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

I'm really interested to see how the series of Under the Dome goes.  It looks like it's planned as an actual series, not a mini-series... and I think that may be a mistake.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1368 on: June 01, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »

I just finished book two of CS Lewis' Space Trilogy, Perelandra. Fantastic combination of science fiction and theology. I think I'm going to read something else before the third book.

I need to finish at the mountains of madness.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1369 on: June 02, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »

I can't imagine HOW they can present the ending for Under The Dome in a way that viewers will understand. Casual TV viewers that is. Hell, I read the book and am I big fan of SK but I found it hard to wrap my head around it. It was interesting for sure but the concept would be very hard to present visually.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1370 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:57 AM »

I can't imagine HOW they can present the ending for Under The Dome in a way that viewers will understand. Casual TV viewers that is. Hell, I read the book and am I big fan of SK but I found it hard to wrap my head around it. It was interesting for sure but the concept would be very hard to present visually.

I consider myself a big fan of King too, maybe even an apologist. There are some classics of his I haven't read yet andI the newest book by him I've read was the last dark tower book. While I loved the ending of that, I love all things that end that way for some reason, that book was a freaking mess.

Have you read Needful Things? That was going to be my next King book, but I was planning on waiting until the fall. He's great fall reads.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: June 24, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »

Finally finished A Sword From Red Ice. It was the third book in a 4 book series. It dragged on for 600+ pages, then finally got interesting in the last 100. Which means I'm stuck reading the last one to find out how it all ends. Hopefully it's better than book 3. Not yet, though.

My wife brought home Gaimans new book The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It's really short, and she read through it in just a few hours. I'm a slow reader, but we have it for 3 weeks, so I'm going for it. Sounds really interesting.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1372 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »

Finally finished the first Mistborn book while on the road with my band this past weekend.  Definitely good.  I'm into this series, especially because of the cool allomancy magic system.  I started book 2 and so far, the first few chapters are fantastic. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: June 26, 2013, 08:44:10 AM »

Just finished The Chronicles of Chaos Trilogy. I actually enjoyed Orphans of Chaos and Fugitives of Chaos but the last book was pretty bad. That may in part be to how the plot seems more rushed compared to the first two which seem to drag on if anything. Amelia's love troubles which were always bad get even worse and end in a horrible conclusion.

I am looking for the third book in the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. I really liked Furies of Calderon and Academs Fury. Hopefully the third book can keep it up.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: June 29, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »

My copy of The Ocean At The End Of The Lane just came in. Will report when I finish it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1375 on: July 01, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »

Finished Ocean at the End of the Lane. Quiick read, even for me. It's only 180 pages! I'd call it more of a novella than a full fledged novel.
I really like it. A simple story with an interesting world that I didn't want to leave. Gaiman sets up so much, then expects us to be happy with the little he gives us. I wanted 200 more pages, dammit! I have so many questions, and thoughts about what happens and why.
Star(or anyone else who has read/will read it), we must talk when you're done.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1376 on: July 27, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »

Been reading A Feast for Crows.

Code:
Cersei's chapters are a real treat; it's really like watching a trainwreck. I love that George felt not obligation to make her likable, and that she really is as awful as she comes off in others' chapters, maybe even worse. It makes for a nice contrast to Jaime's PoV in the 3rd book; which in a way redeems him; since we learn that he really isn't as awful as he comes off in the first two books. He's actually pretty downright likable by the end of the 3rd books, and one of my favs in the 4th book. He's almost like a less naive Eddard, with a touch of Tyrion's wit.

Anyway, I'm around page 700 now, and there's about 200 pages left. I can see why some people think that nothing happens in the book, and while I don't think "nothing" happens, there isn't really a lot of major events. Also the Arya in the House of Black & White chapters are amazing.

Also started At the Mountains of Madness. I forgot how dense Lovecraft's prose can be. Still good to be reading Lovecraft again.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:21:49 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1377 on: July 27, 2013, 04:49:54 AM »

I stalled in Mountains ... love the concept, love the visualization... but it's not doing it for me. I need to finish it before I give my grand sum
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1378 on: July 27, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »

Tunnels- I agree with you about Feast for Crows.  I enjoyed that book a lot.  Sure there really wasn't any heavy action, but there was a LOT happening.  My favorite chapters were the Brienne and Pod ones. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1379 on: July 28, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »

Currently reading:

Radley Balko - Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces
Alan Moore - V For Vendetta
Maynard Solomon - Mozart
Nigel Spivey - Greek Sculpture
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: