Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340860 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 304355 times)
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1380 on: August 10, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »

Richard Dawkins - The Blind Watchmaker.

I've never been a doubter in evolution, though there were (and are) many details that I was unaware pf. At any case, I will probably now have an easier time if I get into another argument with people who dismiss evolution.

:)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1381 on: August 11, 2013, 10:45:23 PM »

Reread The Omen Machine to get ready for Brooks's next installment. Hopefully get my hands on it soon. I'm going to read Joyland first though. King never fails me.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1382 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »

I recently read a book called Self Made Man, a book about men written by a lesbian feminist.

Sounds like a train wreck, right? Well, there's a wrinkle: she passes herself off as a guy to see what it's like to be a man. I'm actually impressed by how honest she is about the different struggles each gender faces, rather than it being male-bashing patriarchy-affirming schlock like most feminist books are. I highly recommend it.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1383 on: August 28, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »

A Voyage to Arcturus:

CS Lewis APED the fuck out of this book for his Space Trilogy it seems. I'm early in but man the similarities are beyond striking
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1384 on: September 05, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »

Raymond e. Feist; At The Gates of Darkness & A Crown Imperiled

He wouldn't be my favourite author but I always enjoy Feist's books. These two were decent reads overall. I preferred at the gates of darkness although I think A Crown Imperiled was probably the better written book. This is mainly due to a Crown Imperiled not having as much of the over arching rift war plot in it. Can't believe there is only one book left in the series.

Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1385 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 22, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »

Read The Wind Through The Keyhole, thought it was pretty good.  Glad the "story within a story within a story" construction didn't turn out to be as confusing as it could have.

Then read Spellbound, the second in Larry Correia's trilogy of superhero noir books.  It's been a while since I read the first one, and I don't think he did quite a good enough job of reminding me how things went down in that one, but I still enjoyed the book quite a bit.  I've got the third one waiting for me.

I started up again reading Stephen Tobolowsky's book The Dangerous Animals club.  It's short stories about his life.  So far, the ones I've read are stories that he told on his (excellent) podcast, but that's OK.  They're worth reading again.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1387 on: September 23, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »

1984 -
A fantastic book that I'm glad I finally read. It's amazing how relevant parts of it are to the modern world. This is not a good thing.
The book did have a few faults, though. It became less interesting to me after Winston was caught. The conversation with O'Brien was great until he started sounding like a mad scientist out to take over the world. I'm still not sure which side he was truly on.
I also wasn't fond of Julias portrayal. She never gets fleshed out. She's just an arbitrary love interest for Winston without any real story of her own. The way she initially contacted him bothered me the whole book, because it made no sense. She really felt like the 1948 version of a MPDG(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...).
The ending definitely fits the theme of the book, as depressing as it is. But there really was no way this was going to have a happy ending.
Anyway, great book, overall. Read it if you haven't.

I'm now reading Sandman Vol. 8: World's End. Brief Lives was fantastic, so I hope the rest of the series maintains that quality.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1388 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

1984 is amazing. For a lark check out the movie. It's not perfect but the soundtrack by the Eurythmics is fantastic
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1389 on: September 28, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

Slowly making my way through Mistborn book 2.  I just got to chapter 21 where
Code:
Cett's daughter beseeches Elend for asylum and seems to have entangled herself with Breeze.

I love the series, but because I don't have large blocks of time to read as I'd like, my ADD leads me to "palate cleanser" quickie books (often in the form of comics or graphic novels) to refresh me back to the epics.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:04:46 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 02, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »

Sad news for his fans today: Tom Clancy has died at age 66.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1391 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »

More Mistborn
Code:
Sazed's back!
and the Pinkie Pie chapter book.  I liked this one because it shed light on Pinkie Pie's backstory and family.  I hope they get more screen time in season 4, especially Pinkie's sisters.  The book may have been less tightly focused than the Twilight Sparkle book, but I wouldn't expect introspective soliloquies from ADHD Pinkie Pie as I would from the calmer and more objective Twilight Sparkle.  Pinkie is my favorite pony and I liked the book (especially with all the pony-fied band names like Nine Inch Tails), but I thought the Twilight book was better. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:52:56 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 03, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »

I liked that character that you spoiler-tagged. :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1393 on: October 04, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »

I liked that character that you spoiler-tagged. :)

My favorite character from Mistborn is Breeze because-
Code:
He acts like he doesn't care. Like everyone is beneath him but you find out later he does care and is often soothing the emotions of his friends to calm them and make them worry less.

I really hope the movies do the books justice. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite modern day authors.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1394 on: October 06, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »

Breeze is pretty cool.  I like OreSeur too; he provides a completely different counterpoint to everyone. 

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 104 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: