Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327947 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 100 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 260383 times)
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »

Finished 'I'm Not Really Here' by Tim Allen. For the book he used a lot of ideas from quantum physics to talk about philosophy and existentialism... and the whole book was actually really satisfying. A fantastic book.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »

I finished Eragon and I hated it. It was just a ripoff of Star Wars plot elements with LOTR copies with no originality. It was a good children's book but not a good fantasy book. Now I'll start Roger Zelazny's 10-book Amber series in one volume that my friend gave to me.
alchahest

55176800 novacat@hotmail.com albinosculpin@sh
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 04:23:44 AM »

the fiance and I were in a bookstore looking for the Chronicles of Amber, and this creepy seven foot neckbeard just randomly started talking to us about it and we were all smiling and nodding and trying to get away, but he kept following us giving us information about the series and where the best place in the city to buy it is.

then I bought Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, because it's one of the three books of theirs I don't have yet, and I'm craving it so much, I'll even read the books that are written with the peripheral characters.

oh god, Preston and Child.

also read Prince of Fire a bit ago, by I don't remember who. It's one of those books you'd find at a drugstore, though, so it's not hard to find.  About an Israeli spy and Palestinian terror group. neat read, but a little ethnocentric. it TRIED to show both sides of the story, but it really ended up being "PALESTINE BAD JEW GOOD" and like, five ill-concieved paragraphs of "but what if.. I'm wrong!?!?!?!" and yeah. not bad, though.

Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 03:51:58 AM »

I went and bought Invisible Ring and The Pillars of the World by Anne Bishop last Tuesday. I read her Black Jewels trilogy and just wanted more from that world. I finished Invisible Ring and I have to say, I just the world she's created. Great characters, great world and a very interesting look on magic and power. The balance between men and women.

I'll be starting The Pillars of the World soon, I just hope its as well fleshed out as the Black Jewels.
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »

Starting on The Secret Life of Peter Gabriel by Chris Welch for a class project.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »

I finished Assassins Quest and am now reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
Not sure if I would recommend the Assasin books to your average fantasy book reader. They are kind of slow going and depressing. Writing was good, but just didn't get as much out of them as I had hoped(or anticipated, based on feedback by others).

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 11:58:07 PM »

I'm currently rereading one of my favorite stories, "The War Hound and the World's Pain" by Michael Moorcock.  Like most of his stuff, it's short but sweet.

Next on the agenda is to refresh myself with Janny Wurts' Mistwraith books.  I just found on today that the most recent entry in the series came out a few months ago, and I've forgotten damn near every detail from the earlier books. :P

Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 12:51:43 AM »

Oh man, guys, it's been about a year since I've just straight up read a good book. That was Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson, and I'd really like to read something like that again. I'm thinking of re-reading Cryptonomicon (also by Stephenson), but a new book with that amount of awesome would be even better.

Any suggestions?

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 01:09:08 PM »

Neuromancer.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 05:54:59 PM »

I picked up "Thank You For Smoking" by Christopher Buckley.  I really wanted to see the movie after I saw the trailer, but it's not showing in Vegas (just NY and Hollywood, so far).  I saw that it was "Based on the Best-Selling Novel", so I went and snagged the novel today.  So far it's good.  Interesting style on it, but it's based on the PR industry, which is really cool.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »

I'm almost finished with 'Into Thin Air' by Jon Krakauer. I was assigned to read it for Journalism class, and it's really good.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 12:13:53 PM »

I've been reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Kind of an odd book. It's gotten a little better now that this Hunter chick has shown up. Not as good as I was hoping, at least fo far. Maybe it'll pickup.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 07:42:20 PM »

Reading Beowulf again because I'm writing a paper on it, well, sort of. It's still the best.
Killy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 08:16:55 PM »

Hey I read the Great Book of Amber (Amber Chronicles compilation).  It started off pretty awesome, and had some great concepts.  I'd say the first 4 or so books were the best.  Then it just kinda fizzed out, got lame... I noticed that the later books were written by like "The Amber Corporation" as opposed to Roger Zelazny, so that probably explains why they sucked.

The most recent book I read was, weirdly, Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistle Stop Cafe.  It's not my usual type of book at all, but for some reason it just jumped into my hand and I started reading it.  And I liked it.
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 03:11:08 PM »

I just finished re-reading 'Hokkaido Popsicle' by Isaac Adamson. It was ann incredibly entertaining book. Its kind of a "punk-noir" style book. It's even better if you enjoy Japanese pop culture because of the focus on J-rock in the book.

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 100 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: