Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 290324 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: November 21, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »

FYI on Sanderson, he recently signed on to write two sequels to Alloy of Law. He still plans to write two more trilogies in that world, one set in the modern day (as in their equivalent of the 21st century) and one set in the future. That should be really interesting.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1411 on: November 21, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »

FYI on Sanderson, he recently signed on to write two sequels to Alloy of Law. He still plans to write two more trilogies in that world, one set in the modern day (as in their equivalent of the 21st century) and one set in the future. That should be really interesting.

You just made me aroused....

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1412 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »

Cool. I knew he intended on capping off the Alloy of Law part, but did not know about the future stuff! I just want him to finish the Stormlight Archive already...eagerly awaiting his next book.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: November 22, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »

Here's what he said last month on the topic of the upcoming sequels to Alloy of Law.

"The second and third books in that series will include the same protagonists from the first, and will—if I’m doing it correctly—be exciting, fun, and deep, but not require you to keep track of a lot of characters or plots between novels. This way, I can balance the large, in-depth sequence of the Stormlight Archive with something lighter and more standalone in nature.

As many of you know, the Mistborn series was pitched to my editor way back when as a trilogy of trilogies, with an epic fantasy trilogy, followed by an urban fantasy trilogy with the same magic in the same world, followed finally by a science fiction trilogy in which the magic had become the means by which space travel was possible. The Alloy books aren’t part of this original plan, but in them you will find foreshadowing toward the second trilogy."

Full blog post here: http://brandonsanderson.com/two-more-mistborn-novels/

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1414 on: November 27, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

Finished Lies of Locke Lamora and started the second book. I am actually enjoying the series, though the time shifts back and forth are a bit annoying at times. Overall a great read though

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1415 on: November 29, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »

Finished Lies of Locke Lamora and started the second book. I am actually enjoying the series, though the time shifts back and forth are a bit annoying at times. Overall a great read though

To each his own I guess. I loved the back story and how everything just neatly ties together.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1416 on: November 29, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »

To each his own I guess. I loved the back story and how everything just neatly ties together.

I enjoy the back story as well. It's just sometimes it seems jarring.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1417 on: December 03, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »

I enjoy the back story as well. It's just sometimes it seems jarring.

Ah, I could see that, especially if you're in a groove with the current time frame for the story.

Just finished powering through Leander Khaney's "Jony Ive: The Genius Behind Apple's Greatest Products". While it isn't a biography per say, the writing in it is more journalistic than organic if that makes sense. Not that it's bad, just a different flavour. It definitely provides some interesting insights to Jony Ive who is particularly secretive, but it does provide some insight into the design process that goes on at Apple. A good read for Apple fans, or fans of design I would think, as Jony is a pretty big name.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1418 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »

I read two history based books. Both powerful for different reasons.

Hiroshima and Prince Among Slaves. I recommend Hiroshima to everyone here because it's short, gripping, and has some interesting insight to Japanese culture. Interestingly, the survivors of the atomic bombs were pretty much shunned in society and not given proper care until decades after the attacks.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1419 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »

Finished Sandman #9, which was great except for the anti-climactic ending. Plus, I'm still a tad confused as to why what was done HAD to be done.
I'm about to start up #10 The Wake, which is the last of the series.

I also read a book about composting, which I am dabbling into.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1420 on: December 05, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »

Finished the The Republic of Thieves. So far this is a really good series and I hope the next book comes out relatively soon.

I think my issue with the jumping back and forth is that it seems to happen at the most inconvenient times in the story. It just gets to a point where I want to see what happens and then BAM we are back in their childhood or some other piece of their history. I like the history, but dammit I want to know right now how they get out of having 300 crossbows pointed at them while they are tied up naked holding a duck!

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1421 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »

Ah the capers that Locke and Jean get into.

I started Republic a while back when it came out, but things came up and I never got around to finishing it. Read the introductory chapter + flashback, and stopped. I only just started reading it again this weekend, and have found it increasingly difficult to put down.

Hopefully Lynch has been able to deal with his depression issues, and is able to get back to writing!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1422 on: December 12, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

Sandman 10: The Wake, and the series as a whole - DONE. Well, besides the side stories.

This was kind of anti-climactic after all that came before, but it did close things up well.
Kind of odd how they tacked on the Shakespeare stories to fill out the book.
The Sandman series a whole was fantastic, and very much worth the read. There is so much a person can get out of them. I would love to read the whole thing again from start to finish just to see how it affects me the second time around. No time for that, unfortunately.
The writing was brilliant the whole way through, with select novels(Brief Lives, especially) really having an effect on me.
The Sandman(Morpheus, Dream, among other names) as a character really isn't all the deep or special. It's how everyone and everything surrounding him(it?)play off of his story that makes it all work so well.
I'm saving these for a my son to read in a few years, although I can't help but wonder how I would have reacted to them at that age. Definitely differently than I do now. That's the beauty of these stories. I could read them again in 10 years and see things I didn't see now. I wish I had read them first when younger, but oh well.

I'm now starting up My Stars the Destination. Another classic. I hope it's good.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1423 on: December 13, 2013, 11:48:55 PM »

Gone Girl:

What a twisted story about love, and more importantly, hate. I know some people hated the ending, but I personally loved it. It was the most perfect capstone to everything that came before. And that twist half way through the book, oh man, it was great. Ms. Flynn knows how to fuck with your head.

It's definitely a dark and intensely cynical read, so it's good that the next book I'm reading is The Princess Bride. :-)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1424 on: December 31, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »

The Stars My Destination -
A book that starts out so simple, but ends on a grand scale. For a while there I was wondering why this is considered a classic of SciFi. After finishing it I now know why. There's so many ideas here that have been adopted by writers for years afterwards. To this day, even.
I have to say, I was turned off at first by the protagonist and his manner of speaking. Shocked, even. It's all part of the incredible metamorphosis of the character, though.,
It's odd for me to immediately want to re-read a book, but I wanted to do just that upon finishing. Definitely the mark of a great read.

I'm now reading Wicked Plants.
Nan gave me Carl Sagan's Cosmos for Christmas, so I'll be reading that soon as well.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: