Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 10:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337993 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 297370 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1440 on: March 06, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »

Words of Radiance, book 2 in the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson hits shelves today. Finally! I've been waiting for this book for ages now!

Just finished it. Holy shit it is awesome. I am excited for the next one! Whenever that comes out.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: March 11, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »

Just started "A Dance With Dragons." I powered through the first four books of A Song of Fire of Ice, but took a break to read some non-fiction books to give myself a break from George R.R. Martin's great fantasy series.

I also picked up "Beyond the Wall" a collection of essays of different fantasy critics and authors take on A Song of Fire and Ice series and what they think is really occurring beyond the wall and other themes Martin eludes to in that particular series. Their thoughts and opinions are comprised of what is already been published books 1-5 and not the forthcoming books that Martin is still writing.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1442 on: March 11, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

I'm about 20 chapters into Mistborn book 3.  What a great series. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »

I finally finished The Hound of the D'Urbervilles.  Great book, full of Moriarty goodness. Now I'm reading Sacre Bleu, by Christopher Moore.  I love everything he writes, so I bought this one even though I'm not really into art.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: March 14, 2014, 01:56:20 AM »

I just finished reading TransAtlantic by Colum McCann. It was good, if perhaps trying a little too hard to be high literature. I did really enjoy the focus on the women and the parts they played, however minor, in some of the significant events that took place in recent Irish history. A good book to read for St. Patrick's Day.

Now on to Ranger's Apprentice #11: The Lost Stories. I picked up this series at work when I first moved to NY and was too broke to afford books. They were free, so I started reading them. They're targeted toward 10-14 year olds, but I've found them enjoyable enough. They're by no means deep or complex, just simple fun. I would've loved them when I was a kid. Still, I'll be glad when I finish the series so that I can start reading Brandon Sanderson. I've been so neglectful, and he lives in the town adjacent to where I grew up. Gotta support those local, Utah authors.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: April 09, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

I finished up Ranger's Apprentice #11. Decided I'd just as well finish off the series and read #12, so I started it today. So far I'm liking it. It takes place probably just under 20 years after #10, and I really like what the author has done with all the characters. Should finish it off this week.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1446 on: April 10, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »

Make that about 30 chapters now.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »

Make that about 30 chapters now.
aaaaand I haven't even started book #1 yet. Despite it sitting by my reading chair now for a few months.
I DID just finish Cosmos, though.
Review:
I loved the heck out of it, even though I didn't quite understand it all.
Carl Sagan has the amazing ability to make complicated information accessible. I love his writing style, which makes plain his absolute love for the Cosmos, and everything in it. The man is so darn inspiring. I could even hear his voice from time to time as I read certain passages.
A side effect of reading such a book, and even watching the show, is that you end up feeling so damn small. We are but a pin prick on a prick x 10,000,000(and then some!) when it comes to the scale of ALL things. It's overwhelming, and I can understand why not everyone wants to accept that. Facts are facts, though, and we are SO darn lucky to be part of it all.
A must read for everyone. YES, everyone.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: April 11, 2014, 01:05:57 AM »

I'm in the middle of re-reading the Hobbit after watching the two movies back to back again.

I didn't think they had followed the book as closely as they did with all the stuff they added.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: April 13, 2014, 12:26:35 AM »

Grim, did I ever recommend to you The Elegant Universe?  It's an excellent book about quantum mechanics and string theory, and its strength is that it also makes that crazy material pretty accessible.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: April 13, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »

I finished off Ranger's Apprentice #12: The Royal Ranger today. It was one of, if not the best book in the series, and a great finale.

Next up is the final novel in a Hunger Games-ish trilogy my company publishes; this book is titled, Champion. Like the Ranger's Apprentice series, I picked up the first book in the trilogy, Legend, when I first moved to NY because I was so broke and I could get books for free at work. The first book wasn't as good as the first Hunger Games book, but the second book was just as good as anything the subsequent Hunger Games novels had to offer. Anyway, I liked the story and the characters enough to see this series through to its conclusion.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: April 13, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

Grim, did I ever recommend to you The Elegant Universe?  It's an excellent book about quantum mechanics and string theory, and its strength is that it also makes that crazy material pretty accessible.
I don't recall you mentioning it before. I'll look it up and add it to my long list of "to reads". I'm trying to educate myself more on things of that nature, but I have to space them out in between more fun reads. Don't want my brain exploding.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »

Up to the last page of Hyperion.

... I got my copy of this when I was 13. I... never had much of an attention span.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1453 on: April 19, 2014, 02:40:29 AM »

Finished off Champion yesterday. Most of the book itself was a drag unfortunately, but it ended better than most of the other YA, dystopian series out there. In fact, I think I actually liked it better than the ending of The Hunger Games series. Overall I think I was mostly intrigued by the setting. The author did a great job creating a believable future world and actually filled it with more detail than I would've expected. I liked the voice of the male lead, but unfortunately the female lead went from being pretty cool to a lovestruck waste of space. Glad to have the series finished.

Now I'm on to William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back. I found William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope while browsing around The Strand last summer. I had to get it, and I loved it! So fun and funny. I was really glad to see The Empire Striketh Back. So far it is just as fun as the previous book.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 19, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »

I read A Confederacy of Dunces this week, and although I'm not usually big on Pulitzer Prize (or whatever other prize) winners, I really liked this one.  It's almost indescribable, but it's about a very strange, fat man in New Orleans who kind of screws things up for a bunch of people... or does he?  The back of the book talked about it like I'd be laughing my guts out, and although I didn't do that, I did find it amusing several times, and I stayed interested throughout.

Then I read Stephen King's Joyland.  He did a good job with this one, and managed to avoid some of his frequent issues.  It's one of those "true crime" pulp books, but it's still definitely Stephen King.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: