Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 260578 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1485 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »

Just finished the first of three stories in The Chronicles of the Black Company. I enjoyed it. I tried reading the second story right after but the time skip makes things feel weird after just finishing the first. I think I will wait a few weeks and then read the second part.

American Gods is good. Weird but good. Currently around the half way mark.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1486 on: July 04, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »

Did a marathon reading all the Saga of Darren Shan books, and was very much satisfied with the series.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1487 on: July 06, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »

After finishing the Mistborn trilogy, I needed some lighter reading.  So I started the Divergent series, because I absolutely loved the movie.  My conversation with other 'fanners about its concepts can be seen here: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=2650.msg331060#msg331060

So far, the reading is brisk and enjoyable.  It's YA fiction so the descriptions aren't as vivid or detailed as in Lord of the Rings or Song of Ice and Fire but they serve their purpose.  Divergent resonated with me more than the Hunger Games films so I wanted to read those first.  I'll eventually read Hunger Games.  

I kinda wonder if books like Divergent or Hunger Games could be thought of as the 1984, Brave New World, or Fahrenheit 451 for this generation of young adults.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:09:32 AM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 06, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

Brandon Sanderson also wrote a YA book called Steelheart that was pretty good, if you'd like more of his stuff, but along those lines.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1489 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »

Finished reading the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke. I somewhat enjoyed the novelization of 2001 and 2010, but 2061 and 3001 didn't stick well with me.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1490 on: July 06, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »

Brandon Sanderson also wrote a YA book called Steelheart that was pretty good, if you'd like more of his stuff, but along those lines.

Aside from Alloy of Law (and Mistborn, natch), I have that Sanderson novella Legion that I still need to read.  That intrigued me because it was like Persona.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1491 on: July 10, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »

Read The Silla Project by John C. Brewer, a fairly engaging book about an American scientist wrongfully convicted and imprisoned but broken out by North Koreans and brought to their homeland to make nuclear weapons. I'm also working on the Dirt Pitt novels by Clive Cussler and have fairly enjoyed them.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1492 on: July 10, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »

I just finished the first Divergent book.  I enjoyed it and definitely want to read the others.  However, I think I liked the movie better.  It scripted a lot of things in a more sensible way than the book.  For example:
Code:
In the book, Tris "breaking" the simulations was encouraged.  Whereas in the movie, that was seen as Divergent and thus would make her more highly suspect.  So the movie had Four train her to "think like a Dauntless" to overcome the fear simulations the Dauntless way.  For example, when she did Four's fear landscape and they were in his fear of heights.  She said "it's not real, just jump."  And Four said, "No!  A Divergent would jump.  A Dauntless would [do whatever it is a Dauntless does].

I get the feeling that I'll like the Hunger Games books better than the movies (which were solid) but I'll probably like the Divergent movies better than the books (which are solid so far).

EDIT: I also read that Brandon Sanderson novella Legion.  I liked the concept and everything, but it felt rushed.  It could have been more detailed (especially in its worldbuilding) and the writing style felt too YA. 

And I picked up a free sample of the Maze Runner collection (this sample has the first 8-10 chapters of book 1).  I did not think I was going to like it because the trailer to the movie didn't interest me and the plot and premise seemed very cliched.  But I'm getting into it, because the writing style is engaging. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:05:52 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1493 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Finished The Wrong Girl, a Victorian paranormal fantasy novel about a girl locked in her home's attic by her earl father until Jack, a fire-conjurer, breaks her out and takes her to a place called the Freak House. Enjoyable, and I tend to prefer books written in the first person.

Still working on the Dirk Pitt novels by Clive Cussler as well, and am on the tenth one.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1494 on: July 16, 2014, 07:06:16 AM »

About 10 chapters into Insurgent and enjoying it.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1495 on: July 16, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »

Finished all the Dirk Pitt novels, both by Clive Cussler only and by him and his son Dirk, most of them were hit-or-miss for me, and I think the best one was probably Dragon.

Now I'm working on the NUMA Files books.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1496 on: July 25, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

Finished A Feast For Crows. Now onto A Dance With Dragons.

Spoilers and questions that I probably don't want people to answer if they are spoilers for a Dance with Dragons.

Code:
A lot of Dorne in this book and a lot of Kings Landing. Which is fine with me, I liked Dorne and I liked the new characters. Prince Doran and Arianne, Ser Arys and the Sand Snakes. Though there was very little of the Sand Snakes in the book as a whole. We were introduced to them near the start, then Doran locked them in a tower and I never saw them again. I thought they were gonna have a big role to play, but that went to Arianne.

King's Landing with Cersei were fun chapters. Basically drunk as fuck Cersei paranoid and seeing enemies in every shadow. Sending people she doesn't like down to Qyburn for unknown but apparently incredibly prolonged and gruesome experiments ala Joseph Mengele. The sparrows are an interesting development. Extreme religious zealots with an army. Nicht su gut.

Sam was on a boat for about 3/4 of the book. The only thing really to note of his voyege was the death of Measter Aemon, which is very sad. I liked him a lot as a character. He got very prophetic there towards the end.

Arya is doing interesting stuff in Braavos. As far as I can see, the name changes, the information gathering, learning to control her face, it seems to be leading her to being a Faceless Man. I may be wrong though. Last I saw her she was blind.

Sansa needs to kill Robert Arryn pretty soon. Sometimes I wish I could throw him through the Moon Door myself. He has a mark on his back now anyway, since Littlefinger is marrying Sansa off to Roberts heir should he die.

Greyjoys. Lots more Greyjoys. Vicatarion chpaters are the least interesting. Asha and sea-water drinking Damphair guy are more interesting. Asha because she's good a sharp tongue, and Damphair because he's fucking crazy. Crows Eye seems like a bit of a twat, but at least he's interesting.

Brienne and Podrick. I...I'm devastated. Brienne is one of my favourite characters. Lady Stoneheart...she lives up to her name. You've changed Cat, you've changed. I'm still holding hope that she's alive. We have no conformation that her and Pod are dead. (I really don't care about Ser Hyle, though I'm glad that septon got set free, he was a cool guy. And Dog too.)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:44:14 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1497 on: July 28, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »

A Feast for Crows def. had some interesting side-plots. I'm a little over a third way through A Dance With Dragons, which I've been told is supposed to run parallel to A Feast for Crows in terms of the general timeline of the A Song of Fire and Ice series, so I won't spoil anything for ya Starmongoose.

I think (personally) what I'm starting to expect from the books is to enjoy the ride and not expect every small plotline/minor house/supporting character's goals and ambitions to be completely fleshed out by the time the book series wraps up, but to just enjoy the ride per say.

There's been so much hoopla on the internet about the HBO show surpassing Book 5 in the next season lately, but I'm happy to say that Mr. Martin said at San Diego Comic Con last weekend that he would not be directing an episode of the show for the first time this upcoming 5th season and choosing instead to sit out and finish Book 6, "The Winds of Winter." See http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/george-rr-martin-winds-of-winter-over-show.html (may contain spoilers so beware)

So there's a good chance we might see The Winds of Winter out next year instead of waiting a few more years for it (keeping fingers crossed). Until then there's the Westeros encylopedia coming out sometime this fall which is supposed to be packed with a ton of history from past wars, lineage, events, etc.

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1498 on: July 29, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »

Read a bunch of books I got for free for my iPad's Kindle App thanks to BookBub by Claudy Conn, and am not a fan though there are occasional gems.

Plus a bunch of romance novels, part of the Destiny Bay series, by Helen Conrad, most of which were enjoyable.

And the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy by Bruce R. Cordell, which was fairly enjoyable.

Reread the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. Not a fan.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:52:56 PM by Der Jermeister » Logged

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1499 on: Today at 12:22:26 AM »

I can't believe "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was a debut novel.  It is far and away one of the greatest fantasy novels I have ever read.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: