Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 289038 times)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

Read "The Outsider" (The Stranger) by Albert Camus.

It was depressing in its own sense, but still a good book. I can see why it is studied by so many literature classes. There's a lot of material to comprehend and analyze. The author's final word was illuminating; it helped put some thought's into perspective.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »

Man, make that two books in a row that I put off finishing for a long time.  Of course, there's no book in existence that took me longer to finish than this most recent one:  The Silmarillion.  I've never liked what I've read of it, but I also don't like blowing money on a book and then not finishing it.

So how did I like it?  Let's just say that it didn't get better with age. :P  It read too much like the Bible, and not the good parts; it needed less of the "and Shem begat Malachi who begat Spielberg" type and more of the "and lo, I kill your firstborn with a bloody rain of frogs riding flying chariots of fire" type.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »

Man, I never even read the bible proper and I thought it read like it. It's probably from exposure to what the bible tells though and the fact the Silmarillion gave the same vibe. :P
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2007, 12:34:02 PM »

Finished reading The Deathly Hallows (finally) and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen part 2. Now I can get on with reading the other 30 unread books on my shelf...
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2007, 05:24:37 AM »

Finished "New Moon" of the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer.

It was alright. Not horrible at all, as my Twilight-crazy friends have led me to believe. I suppose they were probably pissed off at the lack of a certain teenage vampire's presence. :P

The third book of the saga came out recently. I guess I'll get that too, to complete the set.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »

I most recently finished Love in the Days of Rage by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. It was so-so, but only because his poetry is so great. I also finished Road Movies by Lee Ranaldo, which was fantastic, if a bit indulgent. On top of that I also read the selected poems of Federico Garcia Lorca.

I'm not reading any novels/short stories currently, but I've been dabbling in The Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara and Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology.

I forgot to mention I read Big Sur by Kerouac recently as well. His prose is the most fun in this book, and it's also different from The Dharma Bums and On the Road the way it focuses on himself rather than whomever he's shambling after. However, plotwise, it is my least favorite book I've read. It consists mostly of him crooning about how he wished he was in the city or out in the cabin and how he shouldn't be going on 4 and 5 day drunk binges.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »

Wow - I'm so late to this party.  Just yesterday, I finished a book called "Flyboy Action Figure Comes With Gasmask" - it was released into bookstores, and then later released as a free ebook.  Pretty decent, especially considering the price.

Before that, I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.  I liked it quite a bit.

I've been alternating books, something random and then another book from a series I finally got all of after a long time.  The series is called Wild Cards, and if the people who made Heroes haven't read it, I'd be shocked.  The Wild Cards books are written by teams of authors (some very well known) and edited by George R. R. Martin.  If you can find them (think online), they're really good stuff.  They were written through the late 70s, 80s, and into the 90s.  There are 13 of them, and then a new trilogy was written later.  Sadly, if you try to read them starting somewhere other than the first book, you'll probably be pretty lost.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »

Feeling guilty about not touching my family's ridiculous book collection and the fact that I may want to become a writer, I decided to dive in.

Books I've read so far:

An American Childhood (Dillard) - This is a summer reading book for IB, but I loved it. Her prose is pure poetry. There's a lot of detail, which can be overwhelming, but I felt the book was worth the frustration.

The Namesake (Lahiri) -  This was given to me by my girlfriend, who is also a writer and a lightning-fast reader, because we saw the movie together a while back. Although I like the amount of detail put in the book, I feel like the book is lacking a bit of soul. For one thing, she states the obvious, something I always try and avoid with my writing since it dulls the effectiveness of an otherwise touching moment. Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but I felt like the movie was so much more moving. Mira Nair has such a gift for making India seem like such a wondrous place, and the performance of Ashoke's character gave the story so much life. The movie both ruined and made the book for me. I didn't enjoy the book as much as the movie, but the movie helped me find what the book was lacking. I'll take them as a combined experience, and as an experience, it ranks up there with my favorites.

One-Hundred Years of Solitude (Marquez) - Quite incredible. It's rare that I get truly excited while reading a book, and the beautiful prose and incredible mythology just struck a nerve. Like Juan Rulfo's Pedro Paramo (which partly inspired this book), it's very sensual and involves fantastical but believable elements in it's world. It's just incredible. The only thing I didn't like was the incest. Well, it's fine until the last mentioned relationship, which left a sour taste in my mouth. Still a beautiful book, though.

The Icarus Girl (Oyeyemi) - Kind of overrated. The plot itself is excellent, but the whole thing feels sloppy. I kept hearing about how Helen Oyeyemi is a prodigy, and from reading a few pages of The Opposite House I believed it, but this book disappointed me. She has some really beautiful moments, but not nearly enough. The use of Nigerian mythology was quite brilliant, though.

Now I'm reading Such a Long Journey by Rohanton Mistry. Another excellent book. It's about India during the creation of Bangladesh. It follows one family as it struggles through the period and becomes involved in the clandestine events within the period. So far I really like it.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »

Started A Game of Thrones. 70 pages in so far, so it'll  be about 6 weeks before I read anything else.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »

I'll probably read the Fifth Head of Cerberus before I return to a Game of Thrones. That's really a collection of three Novellas, so I can just read the namesake one for now.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »

I'm reading A Murder in Amsterdam by Ian Buruma for an exchange program at school. Pretty interesting so far, aside from the fact that I know next to nothing about the subject matter.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2007, 05:26:24 AM »

I'm reading Vampirates by Justin Somper. It's somewhat similar in style to what I'm writing for my university final piece, so it's worth reading. It won't be great literature by any stretch, but I love the concept.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »

Last night I finished book 2 in the original Thomas Covenant trilogy. Pretty good stuff. I'll probably start up book 3 right away. This whole book was really dark and depressing. Not much good going on for the forces of good. I find myself drawn more to the world itself than the characters. Thomas is incredibly annoying(intentionally, I know) and leaves us with no one to root for or sympathize with. I'm hoping book 3 gives me something positive to latch on to, as well as giving us more info on Lord Foul. I hate generic bad guys.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
Thomas is incredibly annoying(intentionally, I know) and leaves us with no one to root for or sympathize with.

I only managed to make it through the first book in that series.  The fact that he raped the girl who was helping him and there were never any real consequences and he didn't even seem to feel very bad about it turned me away, even though there were some cool elements to the universe.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »

Gotten pretty far in Oyeyemi's The Opposite House. It's MUCH better than Icarus Girl. Her voice is much more assured and risky, and it pays off virtually every time.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: