Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332887 Posts in 13640 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 284274 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
Quote from: "GrimReality"
Thomas is incredibly annoying(intentionally, I know) and leaves us with no one to root for or sympathize with.

I only managed to make it through the first book in that series.  The fact that he raped the girl who was helping him and there were never any real consequences and he didn't even seem to feel very bad about it turned me away, even though there were some cool elements to the universe.

FWIW, book 2 is much better about tackling the issue and the repercussions of it. It also happens to be less Thomas' story than the other, more interesting, characters.
At this point I can't stand Thomas, but I really want to know what happens to him.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: September 13, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »

Read The Homecoming by Harold Pinter.

It was... intriuging. My first reaction was that I felt a bit disgusted at some of the characters by the end of the script, but in retrospect, there was just something very desperate and strange about it all that softened my feelings towards the play in whole.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: September 13, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »

The Hawk and Fisher books by Simon R. Green is awesome.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2007, 02:46:31 AM »

I got Cryptonomicon for my Birthday, and I picked up the first volume of Scott Pilgrim at Borders today. May not read the former for awhile, but I've read through some of the latter.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »

I'm reading I, Robot.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2007, 02:50:36 PM »

Stopped reading A Game of Thrones a while back, but now I've finished all the other books I was reading (all of them manga), I'm going to leave the Doctor Who book half-read and get back to reading A Game of Thrones.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2007, 08:30:57 AM »

Just read The Gunseller by Hugh Laurie (yeah - he's House).  He's a good author!  There were a lot of clever phrases that made me laugh, but none I can pull out of my memory (and out of context) to throw down here.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dominion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: October 06, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »

I'm reading Japanese Death Poems and another book of poetry the name of which I am unable to recall.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 16, 2007, 02:13:35 AM »

Read through the whole Scott Pilgrim series (comic books, but whatever) and now I'm going through Litany of the Long Sun. Finished the Nightside half of it.
Melotron Scratch

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: October 22, 2007, 10:20:30 PM »

Eusis Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got Cryptonomicon for my Birthday, and I picked up the first volume of Scott Pilgrim at Borders today. May not read the former for awhile, but I've read through some of the latter.

This is truly a book of epic proportions, literally and figuratively. If you have any interest in military history combined with exhausting detail of mathematics and operating systems technical info, you'll enjoy this one immensely. The amazing thing is how Stephen ties the characters together, it is something he must have had in mind for decades. It never feels forced either, like he is trying to impress anyone, nor does it ever get boring, since the epic feel keeps you going through even the most intricate of minutea. I actually started it around a decade ago and never finished, but picked it up again from the start last fall and read till the very end.

To get back to the topic, I am currently reading(along with my textbooks on phonology, ergonomics, and Indo-European languages~not as fancy as they sound), a great collection of horror stories called "Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural." I am and always will be a major horror fan, and this has some great stuff. "Graveyard Shift" by Matheson, "The Music of Erich Zann" by Lovecraft, "Carmilla" by Sheridan Lefanu, and one of the most disturbing stories I've read in a long time, "Euminedes in the Fourth Floor Lavatory" by Orson Scott Card(ever hear of him?^-^). Tons of other great stuff, too much to mention.

I have also been recently reading "Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader" about the life of Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il. Never in the history of communism has any leader had such control over their population as they have since around 1967(though the parallels between them and Pol Pot are noteworthy, if lesser in extremity).

I really do need to start reading more fantasy novels if the opinions of my rpger's are worth any gil too! Any suggestions where I should start?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2007, 09:19:05 PM »

Quote from: "Melotron Scratch"
This is truly a book of epic proportions, literally and figuratively. If you have any interest in military history combined with exhausting detail of mathematics and operating systems technical info, you'll enjoy this one immensely.

... Hmm. I really don't know what to say to that. I loved Snow Crash though and this sounds just as fantastic if not moreso, so I should be content regardless. Also, for the fantasy recommendation... There's the usuals to check out, a Song of Ice & Fire and the Wheel of Time series, but I'll leave those to people who more seriously read them. I'd like to recommend Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Heck, you'd be fine with any of his stuff, like Neverwhere and American Gods, but I only read Stardust to completion. These other recommendations are more... science fantasy if you will. The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman is pretty damn good, I've gushed plenty about the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, and the Book of the Long Sun (also from Gene Wolfe) seems about as good so far and I definitely recommend that anyone who liked Phantasy Star III's setting check it out. Both series are hard reads though, so if you want something easier you're probably better off with another of the suggestions.

On that note, I finished the Litany of the Long Sun. I like how expectations can get royally fucked with, I'll start Epiphany of the Long Sun soon.
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2007, 03:56:33 PM »

I have 3 books sitting on my shelf currently, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. All 3 of these books kick ass. Huxley is a genius for writing Brave New World, its similar to 1984, but in my opinion superior in terms of being realistic for something that might actually happen, 1984 has a better story. Clockwork Oragne is a hard read, but an excellent book once you have figured out what hes talking about (I recomend the movie for most). Fight Club, well most of your have seen the movie, if your a big enough fan of it, definatley check out the book its alot more over the top than the movie. Mr. Palahniuk has many other superb books, like Survivor, Invisivble Monsters, Stranger than Fiction, and his newest book rant, just to name a few.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »

Yeah, Brave New world is better with its overall point I think. Huxley's characters aren't particularly interesting, but they do their job for plot purposes. A Clockwork Orange is the most amazing book ever written, not for plot, but simply for the language. And Fight Club is great as a book and a movie.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: October 30, 2007, 07:13:36 PM »

soooo, I gave in and checked out a book from the Library. Its actually a Star Trek book based on The Next Generation, called Q-Squared, and apparently its a decent book. I am real big star trek fan, there are a slew of DS9 books I really wanna check out, and they are insanely cheap on amazon.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: October 31, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »

"The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm on the last section, after Exodus.

Turned out to be an enjoyable book in spite of what I first thought. I've really grown fond of the characters (Rachel aside).

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: