Author Topic: Book Thread Continued

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #1860 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »
Finished the icewind dale trilogy. The last two books are pretty solid and are great sword and sorcery haps

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: December 21, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »
Finished the second book in The Stormlight Archives. Really enjoying them so far. I then discovered that it is intended to be a 10 book series. I have committed myself to another Wheel of Time.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: December 21, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
Let's just hope Sanderson can continue his tradition of productivity...
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 23, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
I guess I should mention that I have finished a two books and a short story.

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Every bit as charming as I expected.  Austen's ability to recreate, but still romanticize, the upper-class, parochial mid-19th century British society she lived in is wonderful to behold.  Generally her works can be considered somewhat dry, but if you really like the English language, it's all just delicious.
The bizarre, romantic verbal sparring between Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy lives up to the hype.

Star Trek TNG #10: A Rock and a Hard Place by Peter David
I love these little TNG novellas.  Like lost episodes with huge budgets that are only limited by what you can imagine.
This one features Riker in mortal danger on a frigid planet being terraformed by a Federation colony.  Meanwhile, on the Enterprise, Riker's temporary replacement as First Officer (an OC named "Commander Stone") is causing all sorts of headaches for Picard et al.
This novella is the now-famous Peter David's second TNG work (after TNG #5 "Strike Zone") and you can already tell that he's becoming the best of the best of TNG authors.  Faithful to the characters, compelling OCs, and a flair for juicy cliffhangers that keep you turning page after page.

Besides those, I also read a very short story called "The Rover" by Drew Magary last night.  One of those thoughtful, dirty "explorations of concept" that feels like it could be an episode of The X-Files or Fringe, that ultimately ends without much resolution (as short stories are often wont to do).

EDIT: I should finish sentences in posts.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:32:58 AM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1864 on: December 23, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
I started The Hobbit a few days ago.  Good book, but Tolkien's writing is dense. 

I called it quits on Stormlight Archive because I can't commit to a series like that.  That's why my thread for standalone fantasy novel recommendations still holds water.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 24, 2016, 02:19:10 PM »
According to Sanderson's Facebook updates he is done writing book 3 and he is revising the second draft. He was in Chicago for a book signing thing. wanted to go to that but i was flying to NYC that day

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1866 on: December 30, 2016, 09:32:17 AM »
4 chapters into The Hobbit and I'm digging it.  I needed to regain my sea legs with that writing style, but I have.  The book also illustrates another thing I like about my Kindle e-reader- if there is an unfamiliar word, I can just look it up in the dictionary provided by the device.  That, the ability to change the font size with a push of a button, and the convenience of carrying around an entire library (including plenty of 800+ page fantasy novels) in a device no larger than a trade paperback are why I like e-readers for novels.

I'm also reading the Fall of Cthulhu (Omnibus) in ComiXology and although it's fantastic, I thoroughly prefer to read comics as actual books.  The only reason I'm reading it on my iPad is because the actual book is out of print and copies are stupidly expensive.  The fact that the story and art are so wonderful makes up for the dislike of iPad reading.  I need to read this, though, since it introduces Luci from the Hexed series, which I'm really digging.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:58:48 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 06, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Yeah, so, after finishing that Pride & Prejudice audiobook, I've officially started The Pemberley Chronicles, which is a ten volume continuation of the world and characters from that particular Jane Austen novel.

Kind of a commitment.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1868 on: January 09, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »
I think I'm about 3/5s through The Hobbit.  I'm where
Spoiler: show
Bilbo and company left Lake Town and are now approaching the entrance to the Mountain Lair of Smaug.

And I finished that Fall of Cthulhu omnibus.  Amazing story, amazing artwork, compelling characters... fantastic piece of fiction.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Almost done with Damascus Nights. Made it to chapter 11. So far loving the book. The book is basically about storytelling.

Reading Go Tell It On The Mountain. Watched the movie which was good but already after a few pages I can tell the book is way better.

Listening to Going to Meet the Man. Listening to it at work.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 14, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
I think I'm about 3/5s through The Hobbit.  I'm where
Spoiler: show
Bilbo and company left Lake Town and are now approaching the entrance to the Mountain Lair of Smaug.

And I finished that Fall of Cthulhu omnibus.  Amazing story, amazing artwork, compelling characters... fantastic piece of fiction.

I find I like The Hobbit more and more as I get older. I used to think of it as the LotR trilogy's younger, less sophisticated brother, but the narrative is actually pretty tight and the writing is just more enjoyable overall than LotR. I've read through The Hobbit several times, but have only read the LotR trilogy in its entirety twice.

Anyway, I finished up Clash of Kings during my winter break. It was also just good, solid fantasy. It has yet to blow my mind in any way, shape, or form, but it's clear that Martin is a meticulous writer that pays very close attention to detail. I can see why the series is taking him so long to finish.

After reading Clash of Kings, I read the fourth book in the Expanse series, Cibola Burn. It was another solid entry in the series, but wasn't as good as Abaddon's Gate (but I've read few sci-fi novels as good as that one). I did have some problems with it, though. Holden's role in the book seemed pretty far-fetched to me, and I also got the impression that, like book two in the series, this book is a set up for the next one. The only thing is book four only featured Bobbie in the prologue and epilogue while she was a primary character in book two. The more Bobbie there is, the better the book, so I'd rate this as the low point in the series despite the fact that it's still good, and the writing is solid.

I'm back in school now, but I'm planning on reading Storm of Swords when Spring Break rolls around, and I'll get back to The Expanse come summer.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1871 on: January 15, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
I just finished The Hobbit.  It was a good classic adventure, but I felt like several characters were deadweight and that the dialogue was stiffly written and didn't give the characters enough personality.  I did like that Bilbo and company were adults going on a grand adventure.  Where it's all too easy to say, "I'm gettin' too old for this s**t" and throw in the towel, Bilbo pressed on (even though he justifiably wanted to go home at several junctures).  I recall when I would post about my distance cycling adventures, people would react, "Whoa dude, I'm exhausted just reading it."  So a book like The Hobbit reminds me that I am not too old for adventures... and I'm 38 (I turn 39 in May.)

My next book is Hexed: The Sisters of Witchdown by Michael Alan Nelson.  His comic work (Fall of Cthulhu, Hexed) is some of my favorite and this novel is purported to take place between Fall of Cthulhu and Hexed.  EDIT: A few chapters into Hexed and I'm digging it.  I look forward to some of the questions I had in the comics filled in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:55:57 AM by Dincrest »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1872 on: January 23, 2017, 08:33:44 PM »
I'm about 3/4s through the Hexed: Sisters of Witchdown novel and I'm enjoying it a lot.  The plot, fast-paced action, and characters have me engaged.  Okay, I'm already invested into the protagonist and her world big-time due to my exposure to Fall of Cthulhu and Hexed, which are two of my favorite comic book series.  I'm ready to put Michael Alan Nelson as one of my favorite comic book writers. 

Once I finish this novel, I plan to re-read Hexed and Hexed: The Harlot and the Thief vols. 1 and 2, and finally read vol. 3 (which was an Xmas gift I haven't cracked open yet.)

EDIT: I just finished the book and enjoyed it a lot.  The twists toward the end were well done.  Now, the comics' world is more fleshed out and I look forward to re-reading them with this new knowledge.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:52:44 AM by Dincrest »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 14, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
I finish a historical book on the Sumerians.

Pretty interesting.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: March 03, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
Recently read man in the high castle and loved it. As with most pkd stuff i've read it was not what I expected at all. It was a really interesting story and the hook that united some of the main characters was truly unique.

About 1/2wAy through Leviathan Wakes and it is doubleplusgood. Holden kind of seems like an idiot though