Author Topic: Book Thread Continued

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #1980 on: June 11, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
Right now, I'm working on The Wings of War series by Bryce O'Connor, which focuses on a dragon character known as an atherian who grows with humans and becomes a mercenary. Fairly enjoyable thus far.

Also rereading The Wheel of Time books. I've just reread New Spring, but it was *way* better than I remember.

I also returned to The Sword of Truth after a few months of hiatus (and finished Faith of the Fallen), and I can sort of understand criticisms with it, since I notice that hardly anything happens throughout the dozens of chapters, and Goodkind really needed a better editor since punctuation errors are very common.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 11, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »
Citizen of the Galaxy (Heinlein):  This is the story of a slave who finds himself entangled in interplanetary intrigue, and eventually rises in society to the point where he has the opportunity to strike back at the institution of slavery itself.  There are some interesting bits here (the culture of the traders, and some of the glimpses into alien civilizations), but I liked Starship Troopers better.

I still have a couple more Heinlein novels in my stack, but I think I'll start on some Guy Gavriel Kay first.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 12, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
I'm starting ''The Wheel of Time'' on audible.

why??????

don't pay for books when you can get them for free at the library...

I have too. I listen to it while I'm at work. I never have the time to pick up an actual book.

Also I just started Becky Chambers' second book "A Closed and Common Orbit".  If it's anywhere as good as the first one (The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet) I'm in for a treat.  The third book in the series is due out in July.

I dont have a choice if I wanted to read a book. I listen to audible while I work.

Public library has e-audiobooks too

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 13, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »
I'm starting ''The Wheel of Time'' on audible.

why??????

don't pay for books when you can get them for free at the library...

I have too. I listen to it while I'm at work. I never have the time to pick up an actual book.

Also I just started Becky Chambers' second book "A Closed and Common Orbit".  If it's anywhere as good as the first one (The Long Way to a Small and Angry Planet) I'm in for a treat.  The third book in the series is due out in July.

I dont have a choice if I wanted to read a book. I listen to audible while I work.

Public library has e-audiobooks too

This. A lot of libraries across the country will give you access to an app called Overdrive that will allow you to check out ebooks and audio books to your devices. I learned about this when I was living in NYC, and I still have access to the Brooklyn and New York Public Libraries' digital titles. A possible downside is that only a certain amount of people can have an ebook or audio book checked out at one time, so you may have to put something you want on hold and wait for it to become available. If you have access to multiple libraries you can avoid this sometimes. If I can't find something from the BPL, I can see if the NYPL has it and get it from there, for example. It's a great tool, and it's free.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:52:47 PM by Jimmy »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
^ thanks Jimmy. That's exactly what I was going to recommend.  It has always confused me why people queue up to pay for material when they can just as easily get it for free.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 13, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
How do public libraries even exist?  That would be like buildings where you can go borrow video games for free and return them.  Seems like a fantasy.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 13, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
^ thanks Jimmy. That's exactly what I was going to recommend.  It has always confused me why people queue up to pay for material when they can just as easily get it for free.

People don't really know Overdrive is out there for some reason. It's kind of like the best kept secret for book lovers. I guess I can't blame people for not thinking about the library. I didn't think about it until I was living in New York, mainly because the library in the town where I grew up was just sad.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1987 on: June 14, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
Three part thread. 

Part 1: My reading log

16 chapters into The Three Musketeers and I'm still enjoying it, although
Spoiler: show
King Louis XIII is proving to be a truly idiot king.  I'm guessing it's because he's young, inexperienced, and immature, but he is oblivious to the fact that he's a bobble-head to M. de Treville and a puppet for Cardinal Richelieu.  That being said, Cardinal Richelieu is proving to be the most interesting and complex character by far.  He is conniving, to be sure, but not always wrong. 

What I also find interesting is the cultural aspect of it.  What I mean is that most of the period literature I've read was English or American with their more puritanical and "stiff upper lip" sensibilities.  However, Three Musketeers is French.  So what I like is that some of the happenings that would be scandalous in big neon lights in American or British period literature are just shrugged off because the French have a more cavalier attitude regarding dalliances. 
Spoiler: show
The fact that one of the queen's exiled ladies-in-waiting is not only a political co-conspirator but also an illicit lover is one of those things that would get you raked over the coals in an 1800s US or UK novel, but is just an "eh, whatever" in a French novel.
  I also mentioned earlier that I like how the Musketeers work hard, but they play hard too. 

Part 2: Overdrive
Thanks for the insight into Overdrive @Rucks and @Jimmy.  I was unaware of it, but now that I am I will be getting a library card posthaste.  The public library is a sneeze from my new house and is part of a county-wide library system so I would have access to multiple libraries' e-bookshelves.  Sure there are books that I want to own (pleasure of possession and all that), but being able to read some of the classics for free (through the library) that may not be free on my Amazon Kindle (e.g. The Scarlet Pimpernel) is pretty boss!   

Part 3: Neal goes off on a semi-ranty tangent
Is it just me, or is it really difficult to find good fantasy novels for adult readers with sophisticated writing and all that.  Most of my searches for mature fantasy literature lead to trash that is basically all just graphic violence, explicit sex, tons of swearing, and surprisingly juvenile writing.  I enjoy literary sex and violence as much as the next guy, but if it's "mature" in the way that Conker's Bad Fur Day was "mature" then color me uninterested.  Stimulate my mind, not my groin.    Maybe I just fail at searching for sophisticated storytelling.  I'm no Sherlock Holmes, that's for darn sure.     
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:51:17 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 17, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
^ I'm assuming you don't like Discworld then?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1989 on: June 17, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
I've never read a Discworld book, and Discworld is such a massive series, I would have no idea where to even start.  I find that kinda daunting, and I often avoid mainstream DC and Marvel comics for the same reason because where do I start/jump in? 

And, to be frank, I'm avoiding any fantasy series longer than a trilogy or quartet because I simply do not have the time or fortitude to dedicate to a 10+ book series like Malazan, Wheel of Time, or Stormlight Archive.  That's a big reason why I created that "standalone fantasy novel" thread years ago, because I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in wanting some good epic fantasy without the epic commitment. 

That being said, I still want to read Ashok Banker's Ramayana.  I have the entire series on my Kindle and it doesn't get more epic than that (except Mahabharata, and Ashok Banker is doing that one as well.)  It's a part of my cultural heritage and I feel like I only got bits and pieces of watered down versions growing up, and Ashok Banker's version of Ramayana is perhaps the most comprehensive.  I read a bunch of Ramayana years ago and was really into it, but real life got in the way, so I want to restart it. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:36:26 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 18, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »
I mean, there's the Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons, @Dincrest , but I guess that's... probably more sci-fi.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1991 on: June 18, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
My reading list is already miles long, so I'm trying to be more focused about it.  Otherwise, seeing a ginormous backlog browbeats me and something I love starts feeling like work. 

Anyway, I'm still making my way through Three Musketeers.  D'Artagnan and the titular musketeers are planning their journey to London for D'Artagnan's secret mission. 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:43 PM »
here is the discworld reading guide.  You can basically pick any strand on there (would recommend nights watch) and they are more or less self contained.

I think it's REALLY REALLY difficult to build an effective and coherent fantasy world in 1 novel (unless its 1100 pages long) there is just too much foundation that needs to be laid and history that often needs to be fleshed out in order to adequately tell a story set in a fantasy universe.  Hell, Tolkien was the master and even he needed to write the 350 page Silmarillion in order to make sense of Middle Earth.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1993 on: June 19, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »
On the other hand, The Hobbit was a wonderful standalone novel.  And though I've not read it yet, Brandon Sanderson's Elantris is often mentioned as a gold standard for standalone novels. 

I'm all about worldbuilding and establishing a proper lore in fantasy novels and I love a good, immersive read that just takes me away to a world beyond my imagination.  But a 10 book series like Wheel of Time, Malazan, or Stormlight Archive is something I can't feasibly commit to.  Longest book series I've ever committed to was the 7 Harry Potter books.  But I'll take a good trilogy, quartet, or maybe quintet if compelled. 

As for Discworld, thanks for the chart and when I finish Three Musketeers I may look for Sourcery on Overdrive.   
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 19, 2018, 11:17:35 PM »

People don't really know Overdrive is out there for some reason. It's kind of like the best kept secret for book lovers. I guess I can't blame people for not thinking about the library. I didn't think about it until I was living in New York, mainly because the library in the town where I grew up was just sad.

I'm going to try this.