Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 08:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341244 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 306657 times)
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »

In the past few days I read:

The Stranger by Albert Camus. What a fantastuc little book. I really liked the sparse prose style. It makes the moments when the language picks up a fast pace more effective.

A Far Rockaway of the Heart by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. This is a sequel to his earlier work, A Coney Island of the Mind. The poem sequence in this book is easily his best work to date. That I read it in 2 sittings (all 120 poems or so) is quite telling.

Paris Spleen by Charles Baudelaire. This was my first introduction to his poetry, and it was very good. I can see how much Rimbaud was inspired by him.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: January 01, 2008, 06:27:34 PM »

My Dad got me Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Disaster by Pablo Neruda for Christmas. It has the original Spanish version and then the translation. I'm never too sure when reading translated poetry, it often feels a little soulless. I do like this book though.

I also finally read Peter Pan, and as I expected it was rather good. The sheer natural creativity of the entire thing is truly astounding. I thought the narrator interfered a tad too much toward the end, but that's a minor complaint.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: January 01, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »

I just finished Secret Window Secret Garden. I haven't read that one in years.  Next up is a book called When Rabbit Howls.  A friend loaned it to me for some reason. She assures me it's good so....we'll see. Pretty sure it's about Schizophrenia.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »

I finished New Brunswick New Jersey: Goodbye by Ronen Kauffman.  Awesome book.  I'm loaning it to a friend now.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2008, 12:06:24 AM »

I'm reading the Changeling: The Lost RPG game book because, you know...nerd.

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »

Finished Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve. I wish he'd write some normal books that don't have either zombie terminators, cross-dressing children or... gangster spiders.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
My Dad got me Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Disaster by Pablo Neruda for Christmas. It has the original Spanish version and then the translation. I'm never too sure when reading translated poetry, it often feels a little soulless. I do like this book though.

I also finally read Peter Pan, and as I expected it was rather good. The sheer natural creativity of the entire thing is truly astounding. I thought the narrator interfered a tad too much toward the end, but that's a minor complaint.

Translations are always a little risky. Have you tried any of the French poetry translated by the people at New Directions? If not, give their Rimbaud and Baudelaire a try, you won't be disappointed. Specifically try the Drunken Boat by Rimbaud. You could probably even find it online.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

I just finished Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell - it was pretty good stuff.  Sort of historical fiction/fantasy.

Then, I read I Am Legend.  I can see why they've made three movies of that story - it's good stuff.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2008, 07:11:52 AM »

I had to read Anthem by Ayn Rand for English class. One of the worst books I've ever read.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »

I've just started "Cell" by Stephen King.  Pretty good apocalyptic story so far. Has a 28 days later kinda vibe going on...sort of.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

Finished Across the Nightingale Floor, and A Game Of Thrones (yay). Now I'm going to read some random shit before moving onto A Clash of Kings. Time to read at least 5 books in one week...
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: January 07, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »

Well, I checked the the library today for Mario Puzo books, they had 2 The Last Don and The Sicilian, so I looked up some reviews, and I think im gonna check out The Last Don tomorrow. I still havent read the godfather book yet, but from what I was reading its alot better than the last don, I am sure the library probably has Godfather, but I'm gonna go ahead and check out last don first anyway. I wanna read godfather before The Sicilian though, seeing as Micheal Corleone is a character in The Sicilian, and I want to read the original material before going onto something else.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »

I just finished I Am Legend.  Been wanting to read it for years, and got it as a Christmas present.  Good stuff.  Now I'm reading Peter and the Starcatchers, which I've also wanted to read for years because I love Dave Barry's stuff.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2008, 08:29:38 PM »

I bought the His Dark Materials trilogy after Christmas, and I just finished The Amber Spyglass today. Such a great trilogy!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »

Picked up AHistory on the weekend.

It's a Doctor Who reference book(!) that attempts to slot all the TV, book, audio and comic stories into one consistent history.

Interesting read.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 104 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: