Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 10:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337993 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 297365 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »

Since I started reading "The Stand" on Friday, I've somehow managed to get about 850 pages of it read. It's good, but it would be better if it was half as long. Only 600 pages to go..............
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: January 19, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »

Borrowed World War Z from a friend of mine.

Pretty interesting take on a zombie apocalypse book. A few dull bits about the army but good overall.

About halfway through and I would recommend it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 21, 2008, 09:37:23 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Since I started reading "The Stand" on Friday, I've somehow managed to get about 850 pages of it read. It's good, but it would be better if it was half as long. Only 600 pages to go..............

Is it the original version, or the longer "director's cut" version?  Because I've read both, and I think I prefer the original.  There's a scene in a motel with a pistol in the longer version that still gives me the jibblies when I think about it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: January 21, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »

Finally finished the first Covenant trilogy. In the end I liked it, despite Thomas being his prickish self. I'll probably read the second trilogy, but not any time soon.
I have a ton of books laying around waiting to be read.
I think I'm going to read some Sherlock Holmes(I got this giant compendium for Christmas) than read the Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: January 26, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"

Is it the original version, or the longer "director's cut" version?  Because I've read both, and I think I prefer the original.  There's a scene in a motel with a pistol in the longer version that still gives me the jibblies when I think about it.

Yes, it's the director's cut version. Is the motel scene the bit with Trashcan Man and the psychopath or where Lloyd and that other guy go round "pokerising" people? I didn't think it was that disturbing, actually. The only things i found disturbing in the book were The Dark Man and the weird stuff going on in people's heads (like say, Harold, Nadine or the Trashcan Man).

Finally finished the Stand! It was better at the start as everyone was dying - the middle section was a bit too... meandering. That is by far the longest book i've ever read.  Also read all of I Am Legend. Its a bit more realistic than the movie, as i thought it was a bit implausible that Will Smith's character was a police marshal and a brilliant scientist - Neville is just an amateur in the book.

Now i've started on Seventh Son, which is apparently "the most important american fantasy since the original Thomas Covenant trilogy". Um, shouldn't the most important american fantasy be Ursula le Guin, and shouldnt A Song of Ice and Fire be the most important one since then?
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: January 26, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

I'm reading Swan Song again since it's been around 10 years.  It's like The Stand in a way but I actually think it's much better. It's long as hell too.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2008, 05:46:24 PM »

Is the motel scene the bit with Trashcan Man and the psychopath or where Lloyd and that other guy go round "pokerising" people?...

The one with Trashcan Man.  Still gives me chills - guess I know what I'm phobic about!  Tell you what - I did not feel too bad when that guy got
Code:
eaten by wolves.

Also read all of I Am Legend. Its a bit more realistic than the movie, as i thought it was a bit implausible that Will Smith's character was a police marshal and a brilliant scientist - Neville is just an amateur in the book.

I felt the same way - just read that book, and I thought "well, I guess they had to leave that out for time."  The Vincent Price movie was similar - he was a research doctor trying to cure the disease before everyone died.  The book is great.

Now i've started on Seventh Son, which is apparently "the most important american fantasy since the original Thomas Covenant trilogy". Um, shouldn't the most important american fantasy be Ursula le Guin, and shouldnt A Song of Ice and Fire be the most important one since then?

I couldn't say on Ursula le Guin, because although I have her books, I haven't read them yet, but Seventh Son was written before Song of Ice and Fire, so it's still fair to say that.  I love the Alvin Maker series (of which Seventh Son is the first book) - easily one of my top five fantasy series.

—Kurt Vonnegut
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »

Finished Seventh Son, and started Larklight. It's better than i thought it was, but not as good as Reeve's original series. Also, the Thomas Covenant trilogy and The Keys to the Kingdom series from Wednesday to Friday arrived today.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2008, 09:12:34 PM »

About 1/2 through Mr. B Gone by Clive Barker.

It's a fun read and even though it's classed as horror, I dunno if I would classify it as that.

It seems more in the vein of his fantasy books.

Here's a question:

Which of Barker's longer fantasyish works are worth picking up?

I'd read that alot of them seemed overlong and self indulgent.

(Though I have both Abarat books and enjoy those.)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

^ I don't know if you've read Barker's  "The Thief of Always" but if you didn't, you'd be doing yourself a favor by reading it.  It's not long but I enjoyed it immensely.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2008, 07:04:59 PM »

I'm about a third of the way through Kushiel's Justice.  I'm disappointed in the lack of graphic sexual acts, but I've been like that since the second book. :P

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »

Finished Larklight, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore. Now I've got to finish Tehanu and get on to A Clash of Kings.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »

Quote from: "Esper_Crusader"
^ I don't know if you've read Barker's  "The Thief of Always" but if you didn't, you'd be doing yourself a favor by reading it.  It's not long but I enjoyed it immensely.

I have that book - was going to read it recently, but ended up reading something else instead.  I'll have to pick it up soon.

I've been reading a series called Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce.  It's aimed at teens, but it's a really good series.  

I also read a book this weekend called Replay, by Ken Grimwood.  It's about a guy who dies of a heart attack while sitting at his desk, and then wakes up in his bed 25 years earlier, back in college, remembering everything from before.  Over the course of the book, he lives his life several times.  It's a great book, but it's from 1987, so it may be tough to find.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 11, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

Finally finished the Book of the Long Sun on Saturday, it's a great series. The Book of the Short Sun sounds fairly daunting however, and I promised Vilnius I'd read a Game of Thrones. I kinda want some lighter (or at least shorter) fare so I'm reading Stephen Colbert's I Am America (And So Can You!) and Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe. Going to MORE Gene Wolfe probably is a poor idea if I wanted something lighter, but it seems like it's one of his more accessible books and anyway it's a single 300 page book so it won't take forever to go through.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »

The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh is one of the greatest books ever written.

Their Eyes Are Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston has not hit me as hard yet. Hurston's prose is beautiful, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the dialogue. It adds to the authenticity of her representation of post-Civil War black culture, and leads to some very poignant moments, but its such a chore to read through on a full IB schedule.

The next book we will be reading in IB English is Faulker's As I Lay Dying. I actually can't wait; I've never read Faulkner before.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: