Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 02:09:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335277 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 293213 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »

Reading A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow. Jaime is the second-best character, I've decided. Tyrion is Number 1.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 08, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Finished Pirate Freedom at last. Just blasted through the last nearly 100 pages last night, tired of being most of the way through the book but not having completed it. I enjoyed it, it came off as a bit more realistic take on pirates (as realistic as you can get with a time slipped protagonist anyway), but I found it a bit hard to follow at times. This was due in part to having stretched out reading so much and the assorted names and terms thrown around.

Anyways, now it's on to A Game of Thrones to see if I can actually stick this time as well as Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: May 09, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »

Bought Uzumaki Vol.3.
I like Kikuchi but his endings are fucking weak.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:06 AM »

I just finished Watchmen yesterday. It was the first graphic novel I've ever read, and it certainly made me appreciate the medium. I was unsure at first, but they really did some great things with the dialogue/artwork combinations.

The actual story, too, is rather great. The characters are obviously the most important part, and they're amazing. The narrative got a little strange by the end, but considering the contents of the rest of the book, I don't think it was impossible. I was a little disappointed at first, but I think I'm growing to love the conclusion (and the rest).

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »

Even if you've seen the movie, you should read V for Vendetta. It'll blow your mind. As far as comics go, they're an extremely viable medium. Actually, modern film technique borrows heavily from comic books and the stuff they were pulling 10 and 20 years ago.

Currently re-reading Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer. I'm enjoying much more this time around, but it still doesn't come near Tropic of Capricorn.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: June 10, 2008, 03:46:22 PM »

Moved onto A Storm of Swords part 2. It only took me a month to finish part 1. Let's see if I can improve on that. :P
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: June 10, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

I'm just waiting incredibly inpatiently for Toll the Hounds, which is the next in the series Malazan Book of the Fallen. This will be book 8 of 10. Normally a horribly massive series of books like this would fall under its own weight (hell, most get trapped with three) but not only is the story holding up on its own it's staying interesting every single step of the way.

Wish I could say I was reading something now. I guess the Dungeons and Dragons 4E books will have to be it.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »

My wife stumbled across about 50 issues of Analog and Isaac Asimov magazines at a thrift store recently, so I just started reading that.  I've also been sort of rereading Piers Anthony's Xanth series.  It's OK, but not my favorite.

Also read a book online recently called Timely Persuasion.  Great stuff.  I feel like I mentioned it somewhere on these forums already... but it wasn't in this thread, so now it is.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »

Picked up Kite Runner and The Trial from the library the other day.  I've yet to read any Kafka and have heard good things so I'm going to give it a shot and my friend has said nothing but good things about Kite Runner.   I started Kite Runner and it is easy to see what is so good about it.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2008, 05:26:02 AM »

Finished A Storm Of Swords: Blood and Gold, then 2 hours later started on A Feast For Crows. I still have to read another 27 books after that's done, though. This is going to be a long summer...
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »

Started reading A Clockwork Orange yesterday. It has been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read for two years now and I finally have the time to read it since I won't have school for the next two months. I'm hoping to get through the rest of my stack before my summer is over as well.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »

A Feast For Crows
Starcross
Red Shift

AFFC was good, but not as good as ACOK or AGOT. Starcross was even more mad than Larklight:
Code:
Moob!
Red Shift made no sense even at the end. I think there was probably a sentence or two that explained everything, but I missed it. Never mind.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »

About a week ago now I finished One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. It was an amazing book, but I don't really think there's much for me to say here.

Resuming a Game of Thrones, about 450 pages in,
Code:
Tyrion was found innocent via a trial of combat.
I'm thinking of just rushing through the rest of the book so I don't have this hanging over me anymore, especially since I like it and don't want it to fall to the wayside again. Only reason I put it down was to participate in the first entry of the Book Club at the other forum I frequent, and at first I tried to juggle the two before deciding focusing on just one to get it out of the way ASAP was better.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »

I'm reading some Raymond Feist lately. I finished Magician: Apprentice and i'm now around halfway through Magician: Master.  It's probably the best fantasy i've read in quite some time.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »

That Magician series is pretty good.  He's written a few followups, also.

I've been gradually working my way through the Xanth series again.  No idea if I'm reading stuff I have read before or not.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: